Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update. Hope he continues to improve.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I have been following this thread because I have had low RBCs for quite a long time. When my iron levels go low......wow, I can feel my energy going away....much weaker, labored breathing, very irritable, pale lips, gums and face. My RBCs do not even have to be much below normal for me to really feel the effects.

I have been tested for a lot of different things including blood in the stools.....tests have been negative.

I have tried taking supplements and they did help somewhat, but it also had unpleasant side effects. This will gross a lot of people out.........but, HANDS DOWN the best treatment for me is EATING liver or other OFFAL at least 3 times a week. The best type offal to eat is BEEF because it is almost all HEME-IRON, the most absorbable form. If you have iron deficient anemia.....well, forget about plant sources of iron........they are very poorly absorbed.....spinach is not going to do a very good job of treating anemia.

Iron Deficiency is one of the most common nutritional deficiencies in the world......and a leading cause of anemia:

Iron Disorders Institute:: Iron Deficiency Anemia

Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from too little iron in the body. Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency and the leading cause of anemia in the world.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have been following this thread because I have had low RBCs for quite a long time. When my iron levels go low......wow, I can feel my energy going away....much weaker, labored breathing, very irritable, pale lips, gums and face. My RBCs do not even have to be much below normal for me to really feel the effects.

I have been tested for a lot of different things including blood in the stools.....tests have been negative.

I have tried taking supplements and they did help somewhat, but it also had unpleasant side effects. This will gross a lot of people out.........but, HANDS DOWN the best treatment for me is EATING liver or other OFFAL at least 3 times a week. The best type offal to eat is BEEF because it is almost all HEME-IRON, the most absorbable form. If you have iron deficient anemia.....well, forget about plant sources of iron........they are very poorly absorbed.....spinach is not going to do a very good job of treating anemia.

Iron Deficiency is one of the most common nutritional deficiencies in the world......and a leading cause of anemia:

Iron Disorders Institute:: Iron Deficiency Anemia

Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from too little iron in the body. Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency and the leading cause of anemia in the world.
Thanks for the tips. The doctors don't believe the iron levels are due to his eating habits though; they believe it is due to some type of blood loss. I will post an update below.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Update:

Blood test results came back. His ferratin levels have risen from 2.4 to 4, likely due to the removal of the polyps (one was bleeding)... however apparently the normal is still much much higher (20-300). I do believe he is now qualified to have the capsule enteroscopy, so here's hoping that gives us some sort of answer.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Thanks for the update. I hope he only improves from here.

My friend is going for her colonoscopy in June after her son is out of school. One less thing to have to coordinate then.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM

Another update-- his pill cam results came back and found 2 ulcers in his lower intestine. The doctor believes this was causing the blood loss. He has now been put on meds (Nexium, I think) to help heal the ulcers and has been told to avoid certain foods. They will do another blood test in a couple of months. Hopefully this clears things up-- he's been having some sharp pains in the lower left side of his stomach, which they said could have been caused by the prep for the colonoscopy. I hope things get back to normal soon.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Best of health to your hubby, LaFemme. I'm cheering for you. Now is a good time to incorporate the healthiest diet possible into your lifestyle. Has he been tested for h pylori?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Best of health to your hubby, LaFemme. I'm cheering for you. Now is a good time to incorporate the healthiest diet possible into your lifestyle. Has he been tested for h pylori?
Yes, it came back negative for H. Pylori.

What are your suggestions for diet? We eat quite healthy, but that's more in regards to heart health than anything else. Are there specific diet suggestions for this?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,985 times
I have been taking Ferrous Sulfate (iron medicine) for two years for low red blood count, felt like passing out 40 times a day. I took myself off this medicine and am feeling much better still feel off balance my be from aftermath of medicine. the doctor says if I don't take iron medicine I will have to have blood transfusions. I know nothing about blood transfusions. am very worried about blood transfusion.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
Yes, it came back negative for H. Pylori.

What are your suggestions for diet? We eat quite healthy, but that's more in regards to heart health than anything else. Are there specific diet suggestions for this?
How has he been doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness