Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 AM

175 posts, read 846,477 times

Advertisements

As the cooler weather gets here I always start getting a "frog" in my throat. It is a real problem as phlegm builds up in my throat and chest. It will be a problem all winter.

Does anyone have any solutions or answers that would help? I have never found one that works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Do you drink a lot o milk? Milk causes phlegm. Not saying that is the reason though.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:50 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
As the cooler weather gets here I always start getting a "frog" in my throat. It is a real problem as phlegm builds up in my throat and chest. It will be a problem all winter.

Does anyone have any solutions or answers that would help? I have never found one that works for me.
Stay away from milk products.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM

268 posts, read 1,108,366 times
Nasal saline sprays (the ones without additives) like simply saline
and
Mucous thinners like Mucinex....

Good luck... MANY of us are in the same boat...

Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 AM

417 posts, read 1,281,731 times
I'm sure you already drink a lot of water---helps to keep mucous thinner.

Do you like tea? Maybe the added warmth will help your "froggy" throat. I know hot tea seems to soothe my throat when it is sore.

Also nice hot (steamy) showers help to open the nasal passages and lungs. You will probably want to use a moisturizing bath gel so you do not over dry your skin.

Is your house overly dry during the winter? If so, adding some humidity might help as would running a vaporizer in your bedroom; not necessarily all night but long enough to add some moisture to the air for while you are sleeping.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:15 PM

218 posts, read 708,264 times
Do You Drink Alot of Soda?
A doctor once told me that the "MILK" thing is a half myth, he said that the phlem (or whatever) is already there and that it just is more apparent when you have milk.
I venture to think too much sugar causes this amidst other possibilities. I love to sing, live in the allergy infested desert of the Antelope Valley Ca. and when this happens to me I get real upset (even a bit depressed) when I cut out Coke and all these other sodas from my diet then it doesn't happen. Guess who don't drink soda no more?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:43 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Mr. Bungle,

You may be on to something in regards to sugar.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:25 AM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
When mucus hits our house (it has this week with both my boys having this head/sinus congestion and pretty raunchy cough) we do bathroom steams with essential oils (one of the many things we do).

This helps loosen things up and keeps things flowing. Just the other night I heard my 8 year old coughing non stop at midnight and got him into the bathroom. I turn the shower on hot (close bathroom door and no fan) and place a washcloth in the shower (on the faucet is fine). Then I drop some essential oils that are good antivirals, antibacterials and good for respiratory ailments on the cloth; rosemary, lemon, eucalpytus, thyme for example. And then just sit in the bathroom and inhale deeply (in through the nose/out through the mouth).

My son was able to get back to sleep and didn't cough the rest of the night. We do this daily while there's sickness in our home.
Lauren
PS...don't forget to put the fan on AFTER you are done as you don't want to invite mold to come visit.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:59 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. I will put them to use.

This is a problem for me and it seems to always start in the fall. I will definitely try some of these ideas out.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Still fighting the battle of phlegm in my throat. Always trying to cough it up before it chokes me. Any new ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness