Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 PM

8 posts, read 19,584 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for anyone who has had a bone tumor removed, followed by a bone graft...or just information on a bone graft. Approx. 3 weeks ago, I had an Enchondroma (with cortical breakthrough) removed from the femur at the knee.

This has been excruciating pain and my pain meds have been short lived. I sleep approx 2 to 3 hours before pain wakes me up, then I'm awake 1 to 2 hours before being able to fall asleep.

Initially the Dr. said I would be non-weight bearing for about 8 weeks, but after surgery, the Dr. said he was please with the hard bone I had in the area and that time may be shortened. I use crutches around the house and thought I could return to work after pain subsides, using crutches at work. I am having problems using the crutches, because my shoulder isn't the best and it is bothersome.

I am still quite uncomfortable and am worried the Dr. will expect me to return to work sooner than I am able. I would like to hear from others, their experience with bone grafts, pain associated, time off work and any complications from the bone graft.

I believe my doctor is supportive and does look on the quick recovery, back on your feet method...but I think this may be on purpose to give patients hope and to look forward to quick relieve of pain.
My first physical therapy will be in two days and that is for an assessment. I'm not looking forward to it, because any movement causes the pain which takes quite some time to get under control.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly apprecitated!

Losing Sleep in Cyberland
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I have had 2 bone grafts to be placed on my spine. In both cases, the spots where the bone was taken from hurt far more and for longer than the places the bone was placed on. Bones don't like being cut into. Both times it felt like liquid fire on the removal spots but I don't remember for how long. I was out of work for months as it was spinal surgery so I don't think the comparison of time would help you.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM

Thank you for the post. I can take a little something from each post!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 PM

I was week two into a 6 to 8 week non-weight bearing recovery from my tumor removal/bone graft and took a horrible fall, full weight onto leg, then fell directly onto bent knee (yes, the one I had surgery on).
The pain was horrible, I was in tears, couldn't move..then finally dragged myself to the phone and called my boyfriend at work. He came home right away and brought me to the Dr.'s office. I was soo afraid I would have to go back into surgery because I caused damage. Well, I fractured the kneecap, but after the Dr. looked at the xray for awhile, he decided we could leave it. I figure I've got more recovery time now The crutches scare me now...I do have a wheelchair if we are going out somewhere. I had a bad shoulder and I get lazy on the crutches, which is what may have contributed to my fall

Old 11-02-2018, 12:17 AM

I submitted this original post after my surgery. I was out of work for 7 months (longest ever) and in a full leg brace for 9 months! Some people seem to have an easier time with this surgery, I experience a lot of pain and mobility issues. Six years later, the site is tender, I do have to watch my walking to make sure I don't trip. I have fallen about 7 times since my surgery. I followed up with an orthopedic doctor earlier this year, because of some issues I was having and wanted to get established with an orthopedic doctor (doc that did surgery, retired). The new doctor ordered an MRI, which showed a recurrence of the tumor in my distal femur, in the same area. I was referred to UCSF, the took xrays and MRI (with and w/o contrast). At this time, the doctor said they will watch it, to make sure it does not grow, they will check in six months--which comes up next week. So, next week, I will have another MRI, with and w/o contrast and see the doctor at UCSF.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:49 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Good luck, Athena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness