Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times

Advertisements

Just finished second sleep study, diagnosed with severe sleep apnea - they had to use oxygen and the mask that covers the mouth and nose both - I breathe through my mouth. I see there are so many different types of machines and masks. Wondering if anyone here has experience with different masks and the way they seal, fit, ease of use, etc... Also is one machine better than another? I don't mind noise since I sleep with a "white noise" machine on anyway.

Any tips would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I used a full face mask. (I don't use a CPAP anymore by the way.) I have a big head (physically and personally) and I had a medium sized mask. I thought I'd try a large but it was actually too big.
I didn't like the nasal pad like things. I preferred the full mask.

My insurance provided new equipment every three months or so, so, if you don't like one, try another then.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Ugh... CPAP's.... I too have severe apnea; first used the full-face models, but over the course of the night every now and then would get a little blow-by, waking me up. Most recent one I used was a Philips Respironics, sort of a pseudo-full-face (still covers both mouth and nose), but much more compact. Works better, but I still can't stand CPAP's.

To digress from the original question, there the is a mouthpiece that moves the lower jaw forward a little, that may work. I ultimately took the septoplasty/tonsillectomy/uvula shortening and removal of soft tissue from the back of my throat approach. Ultimately still didn't work, and the oral surgeon stated, right before the procedure "this next week will be the worst week in your life", and he wasn't kidding. Nothing like being whacked on roxicet for a week.

To summarize, try the Philips.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I bought the Aiomed Everest II b/c it has a built-in battery backup. If the power goes out, I don't even wake up. It seamlessly switches. I also use the Breath mask from Puritan Bennett but I am not a mouth breather.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Thanks for all this good information! I have an appointment Monday to get "fitted" for all of this, so I want to try to start off with the best one I can find.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I'd have to go home to see the brand of mask I have, but I traded in the nasal mask for the full mask and felt a lot better using it.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 AM

Well, been several months.. I actually have a Bipap, not a CPAP. Apparently my breathing while sleeping was NOT TOO GOOD! LOL!

They tested my breathing and WITH the Bipap machine, my oxygen dropped to 55. WHAT?????? Yep.

(I have an oxygen machine now that has made a huge difference.)

I am now using a mask that only covers my nose. (Which is soooo strange because I have always been a major mouth breather.) But when I use it, I don't breathe through my mouth - it's like it creates a sort of suction type deal, so it makes it uncomfortable to breathe through my mouth, unless I am sick or something and my nose is stopped up.

I have been using the "nose only" mask for a few months. I am finding that I continually have to slide it up during the night. It feels like it is too big for my face (longwise). It feels as if the way it is made.....you "stick it on your face" when going to bed and it seems fine - no leaking air etc....,, but I wake up and it has "slid" up some. Feels like it is pressing against right under my nose. When I go to bed and put it on - it covers my nose and seems to press against my top front teeth. Later, during the night, it slides up. It feels like the inside of it (the soft rubbery part) impedes my breathing. I don't know if I am describing this like I want to. *sigh* You know when you first put the mask on your face? It kind of suctions around it? There is a thin "rim" of soft plastic that folds inside the squishy part of the mask. That is what I mean. When the mask slides up during sleep - that soft plastic rim almost totally covers my nostrils. I have to slide it down probably 4 or 5 times a night.

Any suggestions?

(Thanks! )

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Well, been several months.. I actually have a Bipap, not a CPAP. Apparently my breathing while sleeping was NOT TOO GOOD! LOL!

They tested my breathing and WITH the Bipap machine, my oxygen dropped to 55. WHAT?????? Yep.

(I have an oxygen machine now that has made a huge difference.)

I am now using a mask that only covers my nose. (Which is soooo strange because I have always been a major mouth breather.) But when I use it, I don't breathe through my mouth - it's like it creates a sort of suction type deal, so it makes it uncomfortable to breathe through my mouth, unless I am sick or something and my nose is stopped up.

I have been using the "nose only" mask for a few months. I am finding that I continually have to slide it up during the night. It feels like it is too big for my face (longwise). It feels as if the way it is made.....you "stick it on your face" when going to bed and it seems fine - no leaking air etc....,, but I wake up and it has "slid" up some. Feels like it is pressing against right under my nose. When I go to bed and put it on - it covers my nose and seems to press against my top front teeth. Later, during the night, it slides up. It feels like the inside of it (the soft rubbery part) impedes my breathing. I don't know if I am describing this like I want to. *sigh* You know when you first put the mask on your face? It kind of suctions around it? There is a thin "rim" of soft plastic that folds inside the squishy part of the mask. That is what I mean. When the mask slides up during sleep - that soft plastic rim almost totally covers my nostrils. I have to slide it down probably 4 or 5 times a night.

Any suggestions?

(Thanks! )
Can you get a full mask with a BIPAP? The problem I had with the nasal mask was that my nose seems to stay stopped up all the time, so forcing air in and out of my nose took a lot of work, which kept me up at night.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM

I started with the full mask - tried two different ones. My Doctor suggested the "nose only" one so I tried it. I was really surprised that I started breathing through my nose. I was always a "mouth only" breather. I wonder if they make a smaller "nose" one.

I know what you mean about the stopped up nose thing! I find it almost impossible to use this when I have a slight allergy problem and/or a cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness