Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:06 PM

219 posts, read 658,071 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. This is my first time posting in this area of these great forums. I suppose all the questions I am about to ask I could find else where on the internet but I'd rather ask them here for a more personal response.

Basically, on Saturday I have a blood test that I have to fast for and I am afraid of passing out.

The test is for hypothyroid(ism?) I've been having some of the symptoms and my dad has it as well so they think it might be that.

Any ways, here are my questions, please answer as many as you are willing to:

any general tips for fasting? What would be a a good last meal? (I don't like how that sounds) I have to fast for 12 hours, water only. What time do you think I should start my fast? I am thinking stop at 9PM test at 9 am in the morning.

The thing is, I get low on energy very quickly without food (one of the reasons they want me tested) so in the morning I am very low on energy when I wake up. I'm not sure I'll make it through the test without breakfast in me.

How many vials do you think they will need to take?I'm looking at my test paper and the things they have checked are as follows: Basic Metabolic Panel, Lipid Panel, TSH **, and Vit D 25, OH.

The longer the needle is in my arm the higher my chance is of fainting.

Sorry for the questions, I haven't had a blood test since '09 when I had the flu and I didn't have to fast for that. I don't have a problem with needles, it's the whole "something in my vein that is draining me" that gets me.

Thanks,
Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
Hi guys. This is my first time posting in this area of these great forums. I suppose all the questions I am about to ask I could find else where on the internet but I'd rather ask them here for a more personal response.

Basically, on Saturday I have a blood test that I have to fast for and I am afraid of passing out.

The test is for hypothyroid(ism?) I've been having some of the symptoms and my dad has it as well so they think it might be that.

Any ways, here are my questions, please answer as many as you are willing to:

any general tips for fasting? What would be a a good last meal? (I don't like how that sounds) I have to fast for 12 hours, water only. What time do you think I should start my fast? I am thinking stop at 9PM test at 9 am in the morning.

The thing is, I get low on energy very quickly without food (one of the reasons they want me tested) so in the morning I am very low on energy when I wake up. I'm not sure I'll make it through the test without breakfast in me.

How many vials do you think they will need to take?I'm looking at my test paper and the things they have checked are as follows: Basic Metabolic Panel, Lipid Panel, TSH **, and Vit D 25, OH.

The longer the needle is in my arm the higher my chance is of fainting.

Sorry for the questions, I haven't had a blood test since '09 when I had the flu and I didn't have to fast for that. I don't have a problem with needles, it's the whole "something in my vein that is draining me" that gets me.

Thanks,
Sean
I used to have the same fear as you but now it is no big deal. I go in to get my blood taken every six months because of cholesterol, tryglicerides and my thyroid. The day before I usually stop eating after lunch and I make sure my appointment is the earliest possible the next day. Avoid alcohol at all costs the night before because it can really skew your numbers. They normally take about two vials.

Best of luck!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Likely a couple of vials, 2 minutes tops. Don't look at the vial as its filling. I may see you at the office as I'm having the same thing done.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM

53 posts, read 112,848 times
There is nothing to worry about . I am hypothyroid as well as having high cholestrol. The dr. has had problems adjusting my meds and I have been having to have blood tests done every few months. I used to hate blood tests but now I have no problems. Fasting is no big deal. You won't feel dizzy. When she is taking your blood just look the other way. All you will feel is a little prick. You are worrying over nothing. RELAX!!!!
Pat

Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
If it's really just for your thyroid, fasting is unnecessary.

Could a lipid and/or glucose also be included? Those you probably should be.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Fasting doesn't hurt, it's nothing to be afraid of, they likely are doing glucose testing as well. As stated, no food for 12 hrs. before your test - you can bring a granola bar or something with you to eat after you check w/them after the bloodwork.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,207 times
I have a major problem with blood tests and always have to have about the same set you're going for. I won't go into the details of some of my experiences as I don't want to give you further anxiety. You don't seem to have a problem with needles, but I do, so I just don't look, and it's usually not a problem. Here, though, are some tips and ideas you may find very helpful:

1. Don't ask them in advance how many vials they'll be taking. Once the needle goes in, you won't feel like they're draining you, and if they're really good, you may not even feel a thing, and then they say, "Done," and you're surprised.

2. If you get anxious and worked up like I do, ask them if they have a recliner in a back room or something. I often get to lay back and stay there until I feel good to go.

3. They always have juice or something to give people right away who might be feeling a little faint afterwards. Be sure to ask for it if they don't automatically offer.

4. My number one most important tip is to drink tons of water and make sure you're really hydrated. It makes it so much easier for them to find a good vein. Mine are tiny and deep and plumping them up by being well-hydrated makes their job and my pain factor that much easier.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,102,658 times
I always tell the person that is going to take the blood that this really isn't something I like doing. Usually puts them in a good mood, maybe a challenge to change my mind. I would have to say that it gives me a break from the tension also. I NEVER look at what they have on the tray, just look away and usually rattle on about how good my son when they take his blood so much better than me. Then, it is over. I had blood taken last spring and it had probably been 10 years or more since I had it taken - yeah, I'm not really into medical stuff more the herbs and homeopathy. I survived so you can do it too.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 AM

306 posts, read 758,079 times
Just look away and plan your day in your mind. Suggest to them beforehand that you'll need some orange juice after they are done...whole thing is 90 seconds max, you'll be fine!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I used to have the same fear as you but now it is no big deal. I go in to get my blood taken every six months because of cholesterol, tryglicerides and my thyroid. The day before I usually stop eating after lunch and I make sure my appointment is the earliest possible the next day. Avoid alcohol at all costs the night before because it can really skew your numbers. They normally take about two vials.

Best of luck!
Pretty much the same thing here. I look it as an opportunity. Sometimes those phlebotomists are nice looking. Nice opportunity to chat with a hot lady.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness