Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2006, 04:37 AM

10 posts, read 55,814 times

Advertisements

Are there any acid reflux sufferers out there? I have been taking Nexium for about two years. However, it doesn't seem to be working for me any longer. Has anyone had the same experience?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Hi, I dated someone that had acid reflux and the only thing that helped was he had to eat really small portions.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:44 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,488 times
Talking eat your IceCream or no viggies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Hi, he had to eat really small portions.
Small portions of what? Potatoes Erin?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Small portions of what? Potatoes Erin?
I don't get it?

He had to eat small portions of whatever he was eating.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I lived with Acid Reflux for years. For me, stress was the number one contributor, not food.

There are some things that you can do to help yourself. There is an enzyme in papaya that helps. It comes in a pill form, but I preferred the dried fruit. Caffiene is also something that does a number on your stomach. Make sure to avoid caffiene, and be sure to drink plenty of water. Try to avoid calcium based foods. Try not to eat within 2 hours of bedtime.

I used Pepcid AC. If you take 2 at a time that is prescription strength.

Eliminating the stress from my life has made the Acid Reflux completely go away.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I had it for years. Took Prilosec for about 3 years (it was by rx only then), and then Nexium came out. I took Nexium for a little over 2 years, and then a GI told me to stop taking it, said it wasn't good to be on medication for so long at my age. The first 6 - 9 months were a little rough, but eventually I was fine, and I seldom get any major acid reflux now. I can't drink orange juice though. Also my experience was similar to evey's, I stopped smoking and drinking caffeine when I was on the Prilosec, and that helped, and stress reduction definitely helped.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:41 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
If you are having problems at night raise the head of your bed about 4". Don't eat or drink anything other than water two hours before bedtime.
As the others mentioned, caffeine, smoking, OJ are trouble but so are milk products and chocolate. If your problems don't resolve get and endoscopy, nothing to it, you are out for the procedure.
Don

Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Oh yes, elevating your head when sleeping definitely helps! I still sleep w/ 2 pillows under my head. If I don't, I will wake up with a bit of burning in my chest sometimes.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:48 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,715 times
I have had it for 7 or so years but have had only 3 times that I needed medication. I took presciption Prevacid and it worked everytime time. Mine was definetly stress related. I never get normal heartburn. I do eat fairly healthy though. After reading some of these post here, I guess it does bother me more than I realize. Like when I have a huge bowl of ice-cream a half hour before bed and then wake up in the middle of the night from having puke trying to go in my mouth. I guess that would be where the "having my head elevated" would come into play?

Old 01-20-2007, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 7,133 times
Default Nexium & reflux

I've been taking Nexium for chest pain (no burning or acid taste in my mouth) for about4 weeks. The doctor said it was reflux though no tests taken.
It sort of works though I still get the pain if I'm stressed (on disability because of stress!) and if I eat certain foods. I still get the pain a couple of times a day.
I wish the Nexium worked 100% it doesn't for me.
I'm losing weight as I'm overweight.
Plus, the bed head raising... don't do it, it may have made of my legs swell up and I had to go to hospital. Varicose veins seemed to not cope with the bed head raising. The doc said I have weak valves in my leg veins.
If I even think of anything stressful it hurts : ( so... I'm trying to be less stressed.
I'm following a heart-burn diet plus I sure don't bend over or lie down after eating.
I'm aged 52, 5'5" tall and weigh 83 kilos (lost 4 so far) 12 to go at least.
Any suggestions appreciated please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness