Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Hi, just found out, I need to have a hip replacement, to what extent I do know know, as I'm getting a 2nd opinion....however, and please people, if you would be so kind, please do not tell me all the horrid stories....etc...
What I'm wondering, is...

and I know everyone is different....

1. But to what extent was your hip done?
2. How long was your stay in the hospital
3. Did you have to go to a rehab facility?
4. What items will I need, i.e. "Walker", etc.
5. How long was it before you returned to normal activities...I have a dog, and I have to walk her and pick up her you know what....so, I'll need to bend over.

Thanks so very much for your help....
and would appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
My daughter had it done some years ago so things are probably better now. It was around 1999-2001. She was in the hospital about 4-5 days then she went home with help from her father. I went the 2nd week she was home. She lives in a 2-story house and was not able to go up and down all day. She had exercises to do where I had to hold her feet. The first week she was home, her step-mother had to help her in/out of the tub/shower combo for showering; had it been only a shower, she could have done it alone. She did not need a walker at home. I drove her to a doctor's appt and bought her a grab stick, the kind with the suction cups on the bottom (I used one myself and it is a god-send, you an pick up a dime or a dropped pill). She started pool exercises at about the time I left but someone had to drive her at first. I think she went back to work at either one month or 6 weeks, can't remember.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
My husband didn't have hip surgery exactly - he had bone drilled out of his hip to transplant. We made sure he had some bigger warm-up type pants (for going "out" and to dr's appts, etc) and bought boxers in a larger size. Slip on shoes. Heating pad. Lap desk for his laptop

Edited to have - I've had several abdominal surgeries , I also recommend treating yourself to some nice pj's ( or nightgowns) and a new robe if you can. I had visitors after my surgeries and felt better bein covered up and somewhat presentable. And I also recommend nice thick slipper socks...not as dangerous on slick hospital floors or carpeted stairs...

I can't take many medication because they upset my stomach but it helps to make a grocery list of things you might like during recovery that "agree" with your stomach and pain meds - toast bread, soups, rice pudding etc...''.

Overnight bag - even if you are having "day surgery" - several times I ended up at the hospital longer than I thought I'd be (five months during pregnancy, LOL). Anyway - NOW is the time to pack a overnight bag - the hospital supplied soap, toothpaste, etc is pretty low quality. Entertainment - I love "adult" coloring books by dover and colored pencils, laptop/cell phone and CHARGERS, knitting or other hobby, load up Ne Flix Q, etc, pad of paper and pen to write down additional instructions and appts ...

I also bring my own "big" cup with screw on lid and straw with some water flavorings (like TrueLemon) - you want to drink ALOT of water after any surgery. Makes IV's and blood draws go easier and some meds can really bind things up

Last edited by Bakeneko; 02-06-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness