Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:57 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I take 50-100 mg Tramadol for arthritis and also give it to my dog for a neck/spinal condition. It doesnt affect me in any way except to reduce the pain -- it doesnt make me goofy or sleepy and I often go weeks without using it so I doubt I'm addicted.

One problem is that, if I take it on an empty stomach, I'll feel nauseated. So I get my Tramadol scrips filled at a Canadian pharmacy where they sell Tramadol Melts that dissolve in your mouth. They work much faster than pills and dont ever upset my stomach.
Considering my stomach issues, that might work better for me if I do decide to make use of it, that's some very useful information. Thanks. When I see the doc, I will inquire about it. As I've said, they, (docs,) also have to consider the other meds I take for a seizure disorder and such, when prescribing.

As far as other meds for treatment, been there done that, Neurontin, was one included in a list of meds that I used to take, little to no effect. This is more than a decade long issue, some issues getting worse, various treatments haven been suggested and tried, including non-invasive surgical procedures in very recent years/months. Been tested by machines for certain nerve pain, due to a different add on condition, showed not just something in my head, but they're limited in what meds they can give me as I take others and having a hiatal hernia, Schatzki's ring doesn't help matters. It took me a long time to give in to and seek help, years after a couple of car accidents and several additional street falls, by that time the shoulder injuries were more advanced than I guess needed to be, but then again, not sure I could have fought off the rheumatoid arthritis. You get to a point where you don't want to complain because you feel like you sound like some kind of hypochondriac, and people can be dismissive, but when every move you make feels likes your body is being ripped in two different directions, you haven't a choice and even then, sometimes, you still grin and deal with it by staying in bed, in searing pain.

When my days at the beach became more of a nightmare than a joyous event, I definitely went back in for the injections. Every wave that hit my body, was like a cleaver stabbing into me, when riding in a vehicle, you cringe with every bump you feel under the tires. I was told a while ago, I'd never be able to do certain activities again. I did try to defy one or two, paid for it. Dramatic, to some, I'm sure, but when your body locks up and you can't move, you only wish it was a stage act. All the chants, meditation and willing won't unlock the knot your body locks itself into. Whatever it is, Michael Jordan, has in him and others like him, guess I just don't have, I can't seem to bend it like Beckham. I have good days and days that I can feel coming and I'm dreading it, but I know at some point I will be able to go back at some point for the injections. My right side of my back did have some good success with the last nerve burning surgical procedure, but it did nothing for the left side. So far the most relief has come from the shoulder and hip injections. At this point, I don't even worry so much about the knee pain. LOL When I see the docs, it's a matter of pic a site to work on, which is giving the most pain this time around. But it's all good, water temps are warming up, I'll suffer for a week or two, get some juice, (shots,) in time and go lie out on the beach. Could be worse.

Last edited by TRosa; 05-12-2013 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: hee hee, I said tolk instead of told. too funny, maybe I should become a weedhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,803 times
My 16 year old son was prescribed Tramadol for his herniated disc. My son does not have a drug problem or anything but the doctor chose this because he doesn't like to take chances with teens and narcotics. He considered this to be "safe" in that regard. He acknowledged that it is not very strong. It's really only a step up from over the counter remedies. It did help my son sleep at night. The pain had been enough to keep him awake until her started taking Tramadol.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
My experience with Tramadol is that many people wait until the pain is fairly bad before they start taking it. Then it "doesnt work".

I have arthritis and am also prone to gout attacks in 5-6 foot joints at a time (often in both feet). I know to take Tramadol as soon as I feel discomfort above a certain level. it works well for gout, which is one of the three most painful conditions known (with kidney stones and childbirth).

Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
I have a hard time taking pain meds / cold meds / etc... they work like they are supposed to for me, but I worry that they will make me feel odd (so, of course they DO because I am being hypersensitive to every little thing). When I had my cancer surgery, I had to go back to work (pretty physical job) after only 5 days - with 111 stitches in my body. At some point, the pain from that was worse than any side effect I might have imagined from the Tramadol I was prescribed. It worked, and worked well for me. If there were side effects, I do not remember them...I only remember that they helped some of the pain go away so I could function.

I would take Tramadol again if there was ever a need. I like that it is a "softer" pain med (as opposed to the heavy narcotic hitters).

Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My experience with Tramadol is that many people wait until the pain is fairly bad before they start taking it. Then it "doesnt work".

I have arthritis and am also prone to gout attacks in 5-6 foot joints at a time (often in both feet). I know to take Tramadol as soon as I feel discomfort above a certain level. it works well for gout, which is one of the three most painful conditions known (with kidney stones and childbirth).
I think that's pretty common with any painkillers, OTC or prescription. People try to tough it out, and they wait til the pain is full-blown. Since I have chronic pain due to OA and RA, I take my daily pain meds on a schedule. If they aren't doing the trick (usually because I tend to overdo and aggravate the OA), I add a dose of acetominophen as needed.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I have a hard time taking pain meds / cold meds / etc... they work like they are supposed to for me, but I worry that they will make me feel odd (so, of course they DO because I am being hypersensitive to every little thing). When I had my cancer surgery, I had to go back to work (pretty physical job) after only 5 days - with 111 stitches in my body. At some point, the pain from that was worse than any side effect I might have imagined from the Tramadol I was prescribed. It worked, and worked well for me. If there were side effects, I do not remember them...I only remember that they helped some of the pain go away so I could function.

I would take Tramadol again if there was ever a need. I like that it is a "softer" pain med (as opposed to the heavy narcotic hitters).
I'm sure a person could have gotten that impression by what was has been stated, but I assure you it wasn't the cart before the horse in my case. I didn't become as concerned until after the physical effects. I'm fully aware of how the mind can play a role in affecting certain outcomes, I don't literally over think things. When it comes down to it, once I've made up my mind, if I go through with it, I don't sit around tapping my foot waiting for an outcome, I tend to have a short attention span, so I'm on to the next thought withing a few seconds. It would be nice if people wouldn't latch on to just one statement and would take into consideration the mixing of other meds and conditions that one has as a concern when discussing a matter. There are lots of people that are fine with popping drugs of any sort into their mouth without taking other considerations into account, that's fine if it works out well for them, no judgment here. I just wanted to hear other people's experiences with Tramadol, good or bad. Not here to offend those that make use of drugs of any sort. Who knows, I might end up in the market for the use of legal marijuana as a treatment some day.

PS, I've appreciated everyones contributions to this thread, lots of helpful information has been gained. Thank you.

Last edited by TRosa; 05-14-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
Question Is anyone else on Tramadol?

Recently got prescribed Tramadol after chronic back pain from a car accident. Wondering if anyone else is on the medication and what they think about it.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:04 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick13 View Post
Recently got prescribed Tramadol after chronic back pain from a car accident. Wondering if anyone else is on the medication and what they think about it.
I take it now and then, I wouldn't take it long term though, but thats just my preference. It leaves me stoned for a whole day after taking it. Quite good stuff though, especially if the pain is stopping you sleeping.

Don't overdose, and I mean, DON'T. Tramadol can kill you, and it doesn't take all that much.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:30 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I take it as needed for neck pain, but only need it a couple times a year (for maybe a week at a time). I love it, because it relieves my pain but still allows me to function and not feel stoned or sleepy. One time though I took it at bedtime, and for some reason ended up so itchy it was almost painful, so now I don't take it at bedtime.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
I take it occasionally for arthritis pain.
It works ok, but I really don't care for it that much.

It's said that it won't make you woozy, but it makes me feel a little woozy.

The main thing I don't like about it is that for some reason it disconnects my mouth from my brain.
I feel completely normal, but I stumble over my words, talk slower, and my wife says it's really noticeable when I take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness