Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
It means he is a "Hard Drinker" who may have drank like
an alcoholic for a period of time but was able to successfully use
will power to stop drinking.
Not it doesn't. It could be someone who hardly drank at all but had the good sense to end it quickly before it became a serious addiction. You say willpower had nothing to do with your being recovered. If that's true, you wouldn't be recovered. You'd be drinking right now. Your willpower is what is keeping you sober.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So circling back to the original question of this thread, wouldn't they have been alcoholics at birth? Meaning, if an alcoholic is a person who can't stop drinking then aren't they an alcoholic if they aren't drinking and they are an alcoholic if they never had a drink?
I don't think so. They are AT RISK at birth. Not everyone AT RISK becomes an alcoholic. It depends on how they respond when they first feel cravings. Some give into those cravings. Some people avoid it like the plague because they know it's going nowhere good. I've known people who have tried very hard addictive drugs, like heroine, and not been addicted. You don't get addicted the first time. You get addicted when you turn around and do it immediately when you crave it. That's how someone I know became addicted instantly to crack. He didn't avoid it when he craved it after the first time.

And Pawporri, I know what I'm talking about because I am an addictive personality and I have other addictions that I can't control, like caffeine. It's surely a less addictive drug than alcohol but I have zero willpower in not drinking caffeine. If I had only used it on rare occasions and never gave into that very first craving, I wouldn't be where I am today. And I know that the same applies for alcohol for me. I was just more aware of avoiding an alcohol addiction. It's easy to be more aware via growing up with alcoholism in the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Do you still have this illness?
If you haven't had a drink in ten years, do you still have this illness?
Did you have this illness when you were born?
Of course he still has the illness. An alcoholic is never cured of alcoholism.

Recovery doesn't mean cured. Recovery means a lifetime of avoiding alcohol.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not it doesn't. It could be someone who hardly drank at all but had the good sense to end it quickly before it became a serious addiction. You say willpower had nothing to do with your being recovered. If that's true, you wouldn't be recovered. You'd be drinking right now. Your willpower is what is keeping you sober.

I don't think so. They are AT RISK at birth. Not everyone AT RISK becomes an alcoholic.
Right, but my question only concerns alcoholics, not people who are at risk, might be, could be, etc become alcoholics.

With that, it sounds like a person who is an alcoholic will always be an alcoholic must have always been an alcoholic - even from birth. Is this not correct?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Of course he still has the illness. An alcoholic is never cured of alcoholism.
And always was an alcoholic even before the first drink?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Right, but my question only concerns alcoholics, not people who are at risk, might be, could be, etc become alcoholics.

With that, it sounds like a person who is an alcoholic will always be an alcoholic must have always been an alcoholic - even from birth. Is this not correct?
You're going in circles. It must be a game for you.

Alcoholics were AT RISK when they were born and before they had their first drink.

It's what each AT RISK person does with the risk that determines if they become alcoholics.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
And always was an alcoholic even before the first drink?
No. AT RISK before they had their first drink.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:59 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
[quote]
Quote:
Excuse me, I know what the hell is keeping me sober and its not will power. You have no business whatsoever telling me or anyone else who is sober what keeps them sober. Especially if you are not an alcoholic yourself as you indicate below. Contrary to your faulty "belief system" will-power is what kept me drunk.

Quote:
I don't think so. They are AT RISK at birth. Not everyone AT RISK becomes an alcoholic. It depends on how they respond when they first feel cravings. Some give into those cravings. Some people avoid it like the plague because they know it's going nowhere good. I've known people who have tried very hard addictive drugs, like heroine, and not been addicted. You don't get addicted the first time. You get addicted when you turn around and do it immediately when you crave it. That's how someone I know became addicted instantly to crack. He didn't avoid it when he craved it after the first time.
I don't disagree with this, nor do I totally agree.

Quote:
And Pawporri, I know what I'm talking about because I am an addictive personality and I have other addictions that I can't control, like caffeine. It's surely a less addictive drug than alcohol but I have zero willpower in not drinking caffeine. If I had only used it on rare occasions and never gave into that very first craving, I wouldn't be where I am today. And I know that the same applies for alcohol for me. I was just more aware of avoiding an alcohol addiction. It's easy to be more aware via growing up with alcoholism in the family.
Any regular earth person can be an "addictive personality" type. Caffeine addiction or smoking are completely different than an illness like alcoholism. If I were dying of a malignant incurable tumor you would'nt walk up to me and say "Just use your will power and you can cure yourself !" If you did you would be considered a very callous person by most societal standards. I have an illness called alcoholism and I would appreciate it if you would desist from treating me like a weak willed derelict.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
When you read the symptoms of alcoholism, they evaluate a person's drinking habits, so no, a child who never drinks alcohol cannot be an alcoholic, any more than it can have atherosclerosis or breast cancer already just because its parents or grandparents do. There may be a predisposition based on genetic factors, but that's not the same as actually having the disease.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
No. AT RISK before they had their first drink.
Is this an official definition?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Does that mean yes or does it mean no? Was today's alcoholic an alcoholic when he was six months old?
I know this would be a great escape from one having personality responsibility when it comes to alcoholism but, no, an alcoholic is not an alcoholic before they take their first drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness