Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times

Advertisements

My step-dad went to ER recently, with irregular heart beat - he was told he had low sodium - IMO, it's ironic that sodium is 'vital for life' and yet sounds almost like 'poison' sometimes. Confusing. (I know, dose matters, but....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
The fish oil report has been everywhere in the past couple of days. There was one also, that confirmed, soft margarine is better for you than butter. Now that was a no brainer, but I haven't found many soft margarines that do anything except keep food from sticking to a pan...

My theory anymore: eat and drink what you want in moderation: most illnesses, I think are family tendency connected. This doesn't mean all are or using good judgment should be thrown out the window, but it does mean these studies are not terribly reliable. If you have a family history of cancer, you have a greater chance of developing cancer, heart trouble, high blood pressure, diabetes, you name it, precaution is good, hysteria is not.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
It really does get ridiculous; one time they tell us eggs are bad for us and to not eat more than a few a week; next, it's coffee is bad - but they changed their mind on that one too. I read today where they are now saying that diet sodas are bad for us, that drinking the sodas with sugar is better.

I can tell if a certain food disagrees with me and I just stop eating it; while other foods that are supposed to be bad for me make me feel better. ??

I do believe that the chemicals in most of the foods are bad for us. I even read one time that the hormones given to cows can result in the milk we drink causing breast cancer!
Oh, I am sure the hormones given to cattle, can not be good for us. This is the same with using pesticides in our garden, but we have to weigh the pros and the cons of everything in life. I think you are right, chemicals in anything are not great but we are living longer and healthier and more active every generation, so whatever we are doing, it must be working. I buy organic or local farm produce in the summer, we grow our own as much as possible, and I only used pesticides when I have no choice, but I am not going to sit around and worry about everything that enters my mouth.

You are right, every week it is something different, just to be proven a year or so later, they were wrong.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
According to the study, adults still consume an average of 3,400 mg/day, well above the current federal guideline of less than 2,300 mg daily. Evidence has shown that reducing sodium intake reduces blood pressure and the risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD) and stroke. The IOM committee also concluded that studies on health outcomes are inconsistent in quality and insufficient in quantity to determine that sodium intakes below 2,300 mg/ day either increase or decrease the risk of heart disease, stroke, or all-cause mortality in the general U.S. population. So if the average is 3,400 mg/day, you are most likely better off if you reduce it to 2,300 mg/day, but there no strong evidence to reduce it below that.

This appears to be factual regarding the fish oil and prostate cancer. The findings confirm a 2011 study published by the same Fred Hutch scientific team that reported a similar link between high blood concentrations of DHA and a more than doubling of the risk for developing high-grade prostate cancer. The latest study also confirms results from a large European study.
The latest reports, released just a few weeks ago, did indicate the salt hype is overdone. I think you are using studies that were done, maybe a few years ago. I am sure, reducing salt intake for those with really high blood pressure will help, but this is like saying only fat people get diabetes. Too much generalization in these studies and result posting without taking other things into consideration.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
About the recent fish oil study. It says it was from Italy and the results show if Omega 3 oils were high in the men. Nothing I have seen in these news stories gives any quantitative number of what "high" means. I am looking for them to say somethin like "blood levels of 4000mg" and over were considered high in this study. Someone would have to take 10 fish oils pills of 1000mg per day to reach these levels in their blood"

But there is nothing about what "high levels" mean and how much fish oils ingested would cause the levels to get this "high".

Can someone please post some quantitative info about this recent fish oil/prostate cancer study that has been all over the news in the past few days. It seems all the sites are recycling the same story that doesn't tell us how much fish oil is 'high'. Maybe 1000 mg a day is consider very low for this study.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:39 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The fish oil report has been everywhere in the past couple of days. There was one also, that confirmed, soft margarine is better for you than butter. Now that was a no brainer, but I haven't found many soft margarines that do anything except keep food from sticking to a pan...

My theory anymore: eat and drink what you want in moderation: most illnesses, I think are family tendency connected. This doesn't mean all are or using good judgment should be thrown out the window, but it does mean these studies are not terribly reliable. If you have a family history of cancer, you have a greater chance of developing cancer, heart trouble, high blood pressure, diabetes, you name it, precaution is good, hysteria is not.
I could swear I read that butter is better than soft margarine?? Just goes to show you.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I could swear I read that butter is better than soft margarine?? Just goes to show you.
I had read that for years: first it was don't even have butter in your house, if you do your kitchen will have a heart attack. Then they said, oh no, eat butter, not margarine, now, just a couple of days ago and I don't know where I read it, might have been on Yahoo, it has been determined soft margarine will not hurt you because it is made with vegetable oil, hard margarine is a no no and butter is better left in the dairy compartment at your local grocery store.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Any natural food is better than manmade foods - thus butter is better than margarine. Margarine has a bunch of chemicals in it, in addition to whatever processed oils it has.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Julia Child lived to be 91. She was pretty liberal with the butter AND the eggs and I don't think salt or white sugar was banned from her kitchen either. My 86-year-old mother eats canned soup almost every day — one of the foods said to be highest in excess sodium. I had to take her to the ER this week because she was having dizzy spells. Turns out they were caused by low blood pressure. Honestly, I don't pay any attention to anything said about food anymore. The only dictum is not to overdo anything. No one ever became an alcoholic drinking wine with their dinner and I doubt anyone ever got lung cancer from smoking one cigar a day. Addiction is the problem, not the ingredients.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Like many people, I think a lot of it has to do with your genes. I also think that is why:
-You can eat lots of salt and it has no impact; Joe eats lots of salt and his blood pressure goes up
-You eat lots of food and you gain weight; Joe eats lots of food and his weight never changes
-You smoke and get lung cancer at 40; Joe smokes until they day he dies at 95 without even having trouble breathing

We're all so genetically similar but those tiny little differences are what make such a huge impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness