Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

a 23years old girl become hypothyroid,TSH-10.76
doctor subscribed THYROXINE 100mg. after taking this dose for about 2.5months,her TSH-.004. Now the doctor adviced to continue same dose-100mg daily for another 1.5months. Is the Rx ok or not? shoudn't he advice to REDUCE the dose? please,reply me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
You need all the thyroid tests, the full panel, not just the TSH

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyer View Post
doctor subscribed THYROXINE 100mg. after taking this dose for about 2.5months,her TSH-.004. Now the doctor adviced to continue same dose-100mg daily for another 1.5months. Is the Rx ok or not? shoudn't he advice to REDUCE the dose? please,reply me
Have you looked at Mary Shoman's site Stop the Thyroid Madness? Lots of info there.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Thyroid issues can only be fixed by adjusting the levels so I have no idea what thyroid madness is about.
You never get over having thyroid issues. You will need to take medication for it for the rest of your life. Thedosages may vary, but that is only determined through blood tests.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Why? That dosage appears to be working, judging by what you said. The medication doesn't "cure" the thyroid malfunction like an antibiotic cures an infection and you stop taking it. She has to take this probably for the rest of her life.

As others have said, only blood tests can determine what the dosage is. Why are you second-guessing this patient's doctor?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,842 times
You didn't say but my guess would be that the doctor is planning to repeat blood work at the end of another 1.5 months. When they first diagnose hypothyroidism, they tend to do the blood tests more frequently, until the levels stabilize in the normal range. Some doctors also rely on additional information from the patient regarding their symptoms. This is a lifelong condition. The amount of medication needed to treat it will vary with life changes such as pregnancy, other illnesses and conditions and menopause, but there will be long stretches when it doesn't change at all.

It is really important to take the medication as directed, but even more so when the doctor is trying to establish the correct levels to prescribe.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
It probably isn't 100mg. It's probably 100mcg. Milligrams vs. micrograms. Levothyroxine doesn't "fix" hypothyroidism. You find a dose that maintains a healthy hormonal balance, and you basically stick with it for the rest of your life. Since you're confusing the dosage vernacular, it's possible you're also confusing the test results. Also, thyroxine is not typically something a patient would be prescribed. The typical prescription would be for levothyroxine, which is a synthetic T4 thyroid replacement hormone. It sounds like you should probably have a talk with the doctor for a clearer understanding of the diagnosis and treatment.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times
Quote:
I've been on thyroid medication for just over ten years. When you see your doctor also check to see if he can put you on a different thyroid medication such as Armour or Naturethroid(?) There are other options and with Armour you will get not only the T4 but also T3, T2, and T1. I should know as I've experienced with different brands. You will need to supplement your thyroid meds with vitamins and minerals as prescription drugs deplete the body. I have found selenium to be an excellent supplement to take with your thyroid medication as it converts T4 to T3 nicely. Also look into kelp and tyrosine.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times
It also seems that with a thyroid disorder the entire immune system is affected. More than just the thyroid would need to be treated. The liver and stomach might need a detox cleanse to remove the toxins accumulated. Seems as if all the thyroid medication will not help unless the cells can convert the T4 to T3 and most of the conversion takes place in the liver and the stomach. Next time you have the blood panel done include a test for antibodies as well as the usual TSH, Free T3, Free T4, etc.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
It also seems that with a thyroid disorder the entire immune system is affected. More than just the thyroid would need to be treated. The liver and stomach might need a detox cleanse to remove the toxins accumulated. Seems as if all the thyroid medication will not help unless the cells can convert the T4 to T3 and most of the conversion takes place in the liver and the stomach. Next time you have the blood panel done include a test for antibodies as well as the usual TSH, Free T3, Free T4, etc.
This is just flat out not true. Most patients taking levothyroxine have nothing wrong with their livers, have no need to be detoxified because they aren't toxified in the first place. Stomach needs no "cleanse" because there's nothing wrong with the stomach, or any of the rest of the digestive system.

Hypothyroidism doesn't affect the immune system. The immune system can, however, affect thyroid function. That's what Hashimodo's is; it's an immune system disorder that causes hypothyroidism.

Also re: your previous post, where you say:
Quote:
I've been on thyroid medication for just over ten years. When you see your doctor also check to see if he can put you on a different thyroid medication such as Armour or Naturethroid(?) There are other options and with Armour you will get not only the T4 but also T3, T2, and T1. I should know as I've experienced with different brands. You will need to supplement your thyroid meds with vitamins and minerals as prescription drugs deplete the body. I have found selenium to be an excellent supplement to take with your thyroid medication as it converts T4 to T3 nicely. Also look into kelp and tyrosine.
There is no T1 or T2. You are clearly either confused, misinformed, or making things up. You don't need to supplement thyroid meds at all, let alone with anything specific. Also, prescription drugs (as a whole) do not "deplete the body." I have no idea where you got that notion but it's just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness