Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Stores are already advertising flu shots around here.

History: I am 55 and healthy, very physically fit. Have had maybe 5-6 colds in my adult life and am one of those "hardly ever gets sick people." I very rarely take meds, even aspirin etc (not because I mistrust them, but because I'm very rarely ill so have had no need to.) I've taken antibiotics twice in my adult life.

Two years ago I got a rip-roaring case of the flu that pretty much flattened me for several days, ran a 103 temp, hit by a truck feeling, lost my voice, weak as a kitten, couldn't eat, etc. Only the second time in my life I've "called in sick."

I've always been of the opinion that one should give one's body a chance to fight off illness, within reason, and if you do, you end up with a great immune system that doesn't always rely on medication. So far that has worked for me and my family. We are all like cockroaches, pretty much. On the other hand, I realise that my immune system now might be a bit less sturdy, being post-meno and middle-aged. And, I seriously would rather NOT get the flu again like I did two years ago.

Two part question:
Should I start getting flu shots (I imagine the general answers will be "yes of course" and there is no down-side, really.)
If so, when? Seems I have read that if you wait, the "second wave" of vaccines will have a higher protective value against newer strains of flu.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
No, do your immune system a favor, and don't get the toxic shots. The flu vaccine can actually weaken the immune system and make you predisposed to the illness...Many people come down with the flu shortly after receiving the shot. Your best defense against the flu is to make sure you're up on good ole vitamin D.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Yes, get it. I always get mine right after Labor Day. I haven't been the slightest bit sick since Dec. 2011. No colds, no sniffles, no tummy aches, etc. I've been getting the flu shot in Sept. since they first came out. The only time I have gotten a mild case of flu was when they didn't accurately predict which strains would be prevalent that year. And even the, it was a milder case than the full-blown flu I got once loooong ago.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 PM

purehuman - I have read up on this for years and am pretty well convinced that the flu shot doesn't actually give anyone the flu, since it's a killed vaccine. (Like, killed vaccine rabies shots don't actually cause rabies in cats and dogs.)
But yes, your thought that preventative shots may weaken the immune system is actually one of my concerns. Since I've avoided flu for 54/55 years so far without the shot, maybe I'm better keeping to the status quo.

Southernbelle, well using your logic, I'd be better off NOT getting the shot. Since for 54 out of the last 55 years (that would be since 1958, not 2011, which I don't consider much of an accomplishment, in fact I think it's pretty unhealthy) without getting the flu shot, I have also not been the slightest bit sick.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No, do your immune system a favor, and don't get the toxic shots. The flu vaccine can actually weaken the immune system and make you predisposed to the illness...Many people come down with the flu shortly after receiving the shot. Your best defense against the flu is to make sure you're up on good ole vitamin D.
Flu shots aren't toxic...

The flu vaccine absolutely does not weaken the immune system...

Many people do come down with flu after receiving the shot (there is no correlation however, it is absolutely impossible to "get the flu" from the shot), however many MORE people don't get the flu after getting the shot, and of those that do get the flu it's often milder and shorter course...

Your best defense against the flu is the flu vaccine, a recent study in late 2012 from New Zealand showed there is NO benefit from Vitamin D in protecting one from colds or flu, same exact rate of infection as placebo....

Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
You dont' need a flu shot if you're a healthy person. I am required by my employer to get the shot on a yrly basis and we get in Feb. If I had the choice, I wouldn't be getting it at all.

You want to stay healthy?? Wash your hands!! Wash your hands and dont' touch your face.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You dont' need a flu shot if you're a healthy person. I am required by my employer to get the shot on a yrly basis and we get in Feb. If I had the choice, I wouldn't be getting it at all.

You want to stay healthy?? Wash your hands!! Wash your hands and dont' touch your face.
I just this minute hung up the phone with a friend who is a nursing supervisor at a big local hospital and we just talked about this. She laughed and says that since everyone at the hospital gets the flu shot in the same week (Sept) the following week there are so many absences due to employees being under the weather they call that week "nurse flu week."

But, she also recommended the shot. So go figure.

I'm leaning towards "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" at this point. Half a century plus four years WITHOUT the flu despite getting no flu vaccine seems like decent odds.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
purehuman - I have read up on this for years and am pretty well convinced that the flu shot doesn't actually give anyone the flu, since it's a killed vaccine. (Like, killed vaccine rabies shots don't actually cause rabies in cats and dogs.)
But yes, your thought that preventative shots may weaken the immune system is actually one of my concerns. Since I've avoided flu for 54/55 years so far without the shot, maybe I'm better keeping to the status quo.

Southernbelle, well using your logic, I'd be better off NOT getting the shot. Since for 54 out of the last 55 years (that would be since 1958, not 2011, which I don't consider much of an accomplishment, in fact I think it's pretty unhealthy) without getting the flu shot, I have also not been the slightest bit sick.
My meaning was that flu shots do not weaken your immune system.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The determining factor would be how easily you recover from the flu instead of how often you catch the flu. If I catch the flu, I'm sick for months. I could end up in the hospital. I could die. Like you, I'm an otherwise healthy person who rarely catches a cold. You said you were only down for 3 days. That's normal so it really comes down to your preference since it's not a necessity for you. If you don't mind going through that 3 day hell once ever few years, don't get the shot. If you felt like you would rather die than endure those three days again, get the shot. You can't base this on your past decades. You are getting older and you will be more susceptible to infections as the years continue.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I just this minute hung up the phone with a friend who is a nursing supervisor at a big local hospital and we just talked about this. She laughed and says that since everyone at the hospital gets the flu shot in the same week (Sept) the following week there are so many absences due to employees being under the weather they call that week "nurse flu week."
They're just using it as an excuse to take days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.