Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,999 times

Advertisements

I know this thread is kinda lame in that I will ask what is better to be born blind or to become blind later in life? My right eye is dodgy & if God doesn't show up soon I will lose vision on my right eye

If you can help please do so I have been to 2 neurologists, 8 or so eye doctors & nothing came out foul in terms of tests. Eye hurts like a mother father right now

That being said, I'm looking for answers what is ""better"" yeah I know to be born born blind or to learn that later in life?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Having not had either experience it is hard for me to say personally.

I have taught a number of children who were born blind or very, very severely visually impaired. It was quite difficult for them (mobility wise), however they never knew what they were missing vision wise---a beautiful sunset, the look of love on their parents faces, a rainbow, etc.---they never saw those things so couldn't "miss them". If you became blind later in life you would know the joys of those things and may greatly miss them, but could at least you could see those things in your mind.

It was unclear by your post if you are faced with losing sight in just one eye or in both eyes.
I do have a friend who lost an eye in Vietnam, since it was only one eye he lost his depth perception but little else. He never gives it a second thought. In fact, he considers himself very lucky compared to what could have happened to him during war.

I'm sorry that I couldn't give you any more help. I wish you good luck and hope that the pain decreases.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I know this thread is kinda lame in that I will ask what is better to be born blind or to become blind later in life? My right eye is dodgy & if God doesn't show up soon I will lose vision on my right eye

If you can help please do so I have been to 2 neurologists, 8 or so eye doctors & nothing came out foul in terms of tests. Eye hurts like a mother father right now

That being said, I'm looking for answers what is ""better"" yeah I know to be born born blind or to learn that later in life?
I think trying to save my eyesight would be more of an issue than asking people whether they thought it was better to be born blind or become blind later. I think I would do a search online and find the best eye doctor out there and go see them. As far as your question, I personally think it would be far easier to be born blind. That would be all you know and you would not know what you are missing and would learn to adjust from the beginning.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 AM

20 posts, read 57,056 times
There is a saying better to have loved and lost than never to have love at all. In this case, out of the two choices, it's better to lose sight later in life.

None of the eye doctor said anything, a long shot, but it's worth visiting your primary doctor. He might not be specialized in vision, but he be able to direct you? Maybe it's stress related, and you should try relaxing and look more at green scenario. Buy some plants and look at it, helps freshen up the air and helps soothe the eye.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post

You're asking this why? Do you have a choice?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:54 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,226 times
I think I was incredibly lucky to have gone blind later in life. I know how beautiful the world can be and I was able to see my sons as young men.

Do I wish I could see my grandchildren? Yes, I do but it is so lovely to hear their laughter and to have them sit in my lap and go for a ride in my wheelchair.

It is six of one and a half dozen of the other. There are joys and sorrows in both situations but, one is not 'allowed' to choose- it is simply they way things are.

I agree with the poster who suggested that you find the best Ophthalmologist and do everything possible to preserve your sight. If you do lose your sight then you need to find the best school for the blind and learn to accept and adapt to your new situation.

I wish for the best for you.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I was blind for a year in first grade. Long story. It was miracle doctors repaired my eyesight with technology that existed in 1970. It really did suck, but I was glad I knew what things looked like via having vision previously. If I had a choice of losing eyesight or hearing, I'd prefer to lose hearing because it's super hard to physically move around without eyesight. I know I could function easier in the world being deaf.

That said, you come across as a hypochondriac. I don't think doctors are taking you seriously, especially if you are referring yourself to neurologists. I've posted before in your other threads that your problem could be your teeth. It could be your sinuses. It could be anything. But you hopped right to neurologists after eye doctors said your eyes were fine. I don't know why you say your eye is dodgy. You can see out of it. You have pain. You're making quite a leap to "I'm going blind."

You're letting your fears carry you away. Doctors hear the irrationalness just as we do here. They form opinions there is nothing wrong with you. Maybe there is. But you're not likely to find the answer until you learn how to control your fear and suppress it so you're not going into the doctor's office sounding like a nut.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
How is answering your question considered "help?"

Old 11-13-2013, 01:46 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was blind for a year in first grade. Long story. It was miracle doctors repaired my eyesight with technology that existed in 1970. It really did suck, but I was glad I knew what things looked like via having vision previously. If I had a choice of losing eyesight or hearing, I'd prefer to lose hearing because it's super hard to physically move around without eyesight. I know I could function easier in the world being deaf.

That said, you come across as a hypochondriac. I don't think doctors are taking you seriously, especially if you are referring yourself to neurologists. I've posted before in your other threads that your problem could be your teeth. It could be your sinuses. It could be anything. But you hopped right to neurologists after eye doctors said your eyes were fine. I don't know why you say your eye is dodgy. You can see out of it. You have pain. You're making quite a leap to "I'm going blind."

You're letting your fears carry you away. Doctors hear the irrationalness just as we do here. They form opinions there is nothing wrong with you. Maybe there is. But you're not likely to find the answer until you learn how to control your fear and suppress it so you're not going into the doctor's office sounding like a nut.
Thank you you are right. I believe I have always had a fear of being blind so after about 7eye doctors have said they can not see anything wrong with my eyes, maybe I am worrying too much about the pain. I also have unexplained pain in my ankle yet I do not obsess about it.

As for my problem being my teeth, I am still waiting on an appointment. I do not have any pain on my teeth though. But I had a friend who is a doctor telling me that I need an Xray of my teeth done.

I have seen an ear, nose throat doctor its not sinus. Neurologist did MRI and it was clean. I have seen an internist.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
From all your threads it's pretty obvious you have many issues and concerns!

I guess it's a good thing you are a "millionaire" and can afford so many doctors visits

Being born blind would be far worse than losing your sight later in life.

Fortunately you are only having a problem with one eye, so at least you'll still have the vision in the other if you do actually lose this eye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness