Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 AM

378 posts, read 626,654 times

Advertisements

Months ago, I was having an argument with my mom. It really got me angry. I thought about the argument later and it made me mad (angry enough to hit a wall, for example), but instead of hitting a wall, I hit myself on the side of the head. It wasn't really that hard neither... but it did cause a minor bruise that healed up in about a week.

But the next day when I woke up, my mood felt different. I can't really describe it. I also felt I had to give some extra effort to enjoy doing things I liked everyday. It was noticeable enough that I went to the doctor the same day.

My doctor learned about the situation, and he gave me mild depression pills. I asked him if I should get X-Rays of my head, and he said "you didn't crack your skull, no." He told me to just take the pills and I'll be fine.

Now, I took the pills for five days, and I felt completely normal after that. Normal like always. But about a month later, the lack of wanting to do things came back. My sex drive was much less, among other kinda small things, like lacking pleasure in some activities I once enjoyed every day. My sperm is also kinda runny at times and my erection feels a tad different, though that might be because of the pills.

My point is, I still kinda feel this way. I haven't took all of my mild depression pills yet, but do I need to?

What I'm asking is, do you think I just have mild depression and it'll go away sometime after I take all my pills, or is the problem something else that the doctor didn't recognize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,923 times
It sounds like you need to continue with the pills and hopefully combine that with therapy to get to the root of the problem.

Though, I wouldn't rule out getting another complete physical from your doctor. If he doesn't listen to you maybe you should ask to switch to a new doctor.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM

305 posts, read 1,234,370 times
it is neurochemistry. you need certian levels of certian hormones to feel 'normal'. some people need a little hepl and extra chemicals to maintain the levels.

try to take them every day as prescribed. there is nothing wrong with you..... just need extra help.

'depression' is an ugly word which infers the recipient has 'issues' that 'normal' people can deal with...and you just cant. not always the case.

if the neurochemcals are not leveled out ( with or without a little help) you can feel depressed, sad. unmotivated...a sense of why bother......

take them....they work....they made you feel normal again....thats worth it.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:54 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Months ago, I was having an argument with my mom. It really got me angry. I thought about the argument later and it made me mad (angry enough to hit a wall, for example), but instead of hitting a wall, I hit myself on the side of the head. It wasn't really that hard neither... but it did cause a minor bruise that healed up in about a week.

But the next day when I woke up, my mood felt different. I can't really describe it. I also felt I had to give some extra effort to enjoy doing things I liked everyday. It was noticeable enough that I went to the doctor the same day.

My doctor learned about the situation, and he gave me mild depression pills. I asked him if I should get X-Rays of my head, and he said "you didn't crack your skull, no." He told me to just take the pills and I'll be fine.

Now, I took the pills for five days, and I felt completely normal after that. Normal like always. But about a month later, the lack of wanting to do things came back. My sex drive was much less, among other kinda small things, like lacking pleasure in some activities I once enjoyed every day. My sperm is also kinda runny at times and my erection feels a tad different, though that might be because of the pills.

My point is, I still kinda feel this way. I haven't took all of my mild depression pills yet, but do I need to?

What I'm asking is, do you think I just have mild depression and it'll go away sometime after I take all my pills, or is the problem something else that the doctor didn't recognize?
Most healthcare providers will start patients on a low dose of medication first, then schedule a follow-up visit for re-evaluation and a possible dose adjustment. If this isn't the case, schedule the appointment yourself. It generally takes ~4 weeks or so for the meds to reach any sort of theraputic (helpful) level. Unfortunately, sex drive can be affected - not obliterated. Follow-up with your healthcare provider!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
Depending on the particular anti-depressant you are taking, it takes a full 3-6 weeks to kick in. Taking it a only few days and then quitting won't fix depression. It isn't an infection. It sounds like it could be depression and if so you need to be on medication for probably at least 6 mos.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Has thyroid problems been talked about? Go online and look up hypothyroid symptoms and see if you have any and than talk to your Dr.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Sounds like the OP needs some anger management.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 PM

378 posts, read 626,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICN2U View Post
it is neurochemistry. you need certian levels of certian hormones to feel 'normal'. some people need a little hepl and extra chemicals to maintain the levels.

try to take them every day as prescribed. there is nothing wrong with you..... just need extra help.

'depression' is an ugly word which infers the recipient has 'issues' that 'normal' people can deal with...and you just cant. not always the case.

if the neurochemcals are not leveled out ( with or without a little help) you can feel depressed, sad. unmotivated...a sense of why bother......

take them....they work....they made you feel normal again....thats worth it.
That's what I was thinking. But I was just wondering why I'd get depression after a hit to the head, and I'm hoping the pills will solve the problem. It's just what's causing the depression that worries me.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:34 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,370 times
you may never know the cause....
and it may all be coincidence....
or maybe ur just really noticing it now....

Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sounds like the OP needs some anger management.
I was thinking that might be route to follow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness