Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times

Advertisements

My mother recently had another stroke and it took most of what vision she had left. Right now she can see light, dark, some shapes, some colors...not well enough to read or watch television. My dad takes care of her physical needs but she is depressed, scared, and bored out of her mind because she can't DO anything anymore.

I have googled around for resources for the blind in my area (DFW) but I guess I'm looking for the wrong thing because I can't find any resources for newly-blind adults!

Can anyone help? Please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 PM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
Your mom needs to see an opthamologist. He/she can give your mom best options to help in her eyesight.
There should be many good ones in your area.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,168,540 times
Have you tried talking with her doctor? Maybe he can refer her to a social worker at the hospital who can put you in touch with the resources you need.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:32 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,902 times
I am sorry that your Mother has lost her sight. This site was recommended from the school I attended when I lost my sight; I hope that it is helpful. Be certain to look at the Independent Living Rehabilitation for Persons that are Blind.

It is not easy (I also had a stroke that ended with me losing my sight- sdo I understand); please feel free to DM me if you wish.

These places help with simple braille, moving about safely with a blind stick, how to complete household chores (cooking, cleaning, money identification, etc), blind tech (talking books, internet access, gadgets (liquid sensors for pouring a drink, talking thermometers, how to label medications, etc.).

Independent Living Rehabilitation Program

I wish your Mother and all that love her peace and patience.
Melanie

Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I am sorry that your Mother has lost her sight. This site was recommended from the school I attended when I lost my sight; I hope that it is helpful. Be certain to look at the Independent Living Rehabilitation for Persons that are Blind.

It is not easy (I also had a stroke that ended with me losing my sight- sdo I understand); please feel free to DM me if you wish.

These places help with simple braille, moving about safely with a blind stick, how to complete household chores (cooking, cleaning, money identification, etc), blind tech (talking books, internet access, gadgets (liquid sensors for pouring a drink, talking thermometers, how to label medications, etc.).

Independent Living Rehabilitation Program

I wish your Mother and all that love her peace and patience.
Melanie
Thank you! I will be calling them today. The others suggested seeing eye doctors, but she's already done that and has been told that her vision loss is permanent.

I may DM you in the future with random questions...right now I want to get her some device or gadget for listening to books on tape that will be easy for her to use; she really misses reading. Do you have any suggestions for something like that?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
There are audio books galore for any interests one might have ,and even computer programs that use voice .
Take her on walks often as possible get out side go places that there are familiar sounds ocean or parks with kids going to the mall and listening to the activities the season provides us .
I love wild life , and though I am not visually impaired I love to listen to the music of life all around me in the country or in the mountains ,right no the crows are flying over hard giving their song as they fly by.
Sounds become more precious when you have lost sight even temporarily.
Often in a busy restaurant I would close my eyes and listen to the different voices and to their conversation isolating one particular one form all the others .
I didn't care what they were talking about, but that I could do that, fascinates me.
My ears ring now days, so I can't do it quite so well any more.
Help her to expand on her other senses ,do it with her like a game and work regularly at it.
I wish I had know these things when my dad lost his sight .

Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Texas commission for the blind, start there. If she is a veteran, the VA is a huge resource.

The best resource would be to contact local support group for blind in her area, DM if you need more help.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,128,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thank you! I will be calling them today. The others suggested seeing eye doctors, but she's already done that and has been told that her vision loss is permanent.

I may DM you in the future with random questions...right now I want to get her some device or gadget for listening to books on tape that will be easy for her to use; she really misses reading. Do you have any suggestions for something like that?
She should be eligible for the library of the blind. They will issue her a talking book player and may receive books either through the mail (free of charge) or through the computer site (downloadable). Here is the site to request the application http://www.loc.gov/nls/signup.html.

She can also learn to use an IPOD or other simple mp3 and down load books from your State library (they should have an audio book section) or purchase audiobooks from a site like Audible.com (around $15 a month it should purchase one book a month from the membership fee - able to purchase extra books at a higher cost).

There are sites like Librivox.org that have free audiobooks available. These books are read by volunteers and are books that are no longer under copyrights (classics, etc.).

The last two options also allow a person to listen on a computer.

I do not know what I would do without my talking books. They keep me occupied and entertained. Please let her know that she is not alone. I would also be happy to talk to her if she would like to speak with another woman who had a stroke and lost her sight.

Melanie

Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,814,646 times
Another free resource (mostly classics) is this website: 3000 Free Audio Books + eBooks, Download for iPhone, Android, Kindle and more!

Also, youtube has a lot of stuff on it and not all are classics, in case that's not her thing. You should probably preview though b/c they will often read part of a story just to get you interested and then leave her hanging.

Or you could hire a young person to come in and read and it might be the start of a great friendship and be good for both of them, esp if it's a young person who really needs a role model.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times
Our library carries a fairly large selection of braille books. Do you think your mom would be willing to try and learn it? I know I'd go crazy if I couldn't read....sorry to hear about her loss of sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness