Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM

84 posts, read 216,127 times

Advertisements

I suddenly got knock out for few days of flu like symptoms, today I went to the doctor. He suspect I might have the flu since there is an flu going around in my area right now, so he prescribed me TAMIFLU and cough medicine.
That TAMIFLU medicine is so expensive, like $150, but luckily my healthcare pay for it.

I did some research around on TAMIFLU, and there were so many cases of children committed suicided and hallucinating after taking this drug. TAMIFLU were banned in Japan on children due to they have so many cases of young children have suicidal thoughts. If you GOOGLE you will see it, so many news on children jump off building, run outside in front of a truck.... scary!
.... so I am scare to take TAMIFLU.. I want to ask has anyone here ever take TAMIFLU before? And did you experience any side effects like that?

This year flu is terrible, I probably end up taking this drugs anyways if my Flu doesn't go away in one week.
Anyone who take Tamiflu before, please share your experience.

Last edited by CA84; 02-03-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I took Flumadene years ago - knocked out the flu in a couple of hours! Don't know iif it is related to Tamiflu but it was wonderful.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
I haven't taken it myself, knock on wood, but my MIL got a sample of it from her doctor friend once when she got sick, and while she didn't hallucinate or have suicidal thoughts, she did say it made her feel completely awful - worse than the flu itself. It caused nausea and vomiting, stomach pain, and dizziness after she took it, she said she'll gladly take the flu over it anyday now.
I've heard similar accounts of it having terrible side effects; it's a pretty hard-core drug, not like tylenol or something. I say, unless you're really feeling so bad that you've got nothing to lose, or your doctor said you need it to prevent complications, I wouldn't take it. They say it's not effective unless taken within the first 48 hrs anyways, which sounds like it's been longer for you. Feel better!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM

Yeah, therefore I probably won't take it. I just take the cough medicine Q-Tussin-DM
I think this cough medicine is safe, no bad side effect showing on the net yet.

All those suicidal cases on Tamiflu are from younger children, ages 10-17, this is why Japan banned this drug for children in this age group.
I'm an adult, so I probably won't be like those little children, but I still have a family to take care. I don't want to end up jumping down the building, I live on the second floor. So I scare this tamiFlu might make me hallucinating and open the window in the middle of the night and jump. Scary! Cases like this happened before in Japan.

And honestly, I rather have the flu for few weeks and let my immune system kill it, instead of have this drugs mess around with my brain.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
My wife and I both had the flu a couple of months ago, went to the doctor, was prescribed Tamiflu. We both took it. It did the job but the thing that we both noticed was shortness of breath. Sometimes we felt that we could not breathe properly.

We dropped it after the first couple of doses. Fortunately, the flu was over by then.

Be aware, Tamiflu is very powerful medicine. I think if I ever have the choice again I'd skip it.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 PM

397 posts, read 665,077 times
All medicine can have side effects. And each person reacts differently to medication. I wouldn't take the advice of others b/c it won't mean much in terms of how YOU will react. Read the side effects, know that there is a remote possibility of them occurring, and decide if the positives outweigh the possible negatives. A case of the flu can wipe some folks out for weeks. That's devastating if you are working and need a paycheck! I would say that Tamiflu can be useful in such a situation. Good luck

Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Thanks EvilCookie,
I agree Weichert, seem like very powerful medicine. I open the box, and it only 10 little pills and it cost $151 USD, just for this 10 little fella. For it to cost this much, it must be powerful enough to work down the Flu.

The Flu itself is terrible, constant high fever and shaking chills is No Fun! People can't be at work if they shilvering and have fever like this. So I think few pills of TamiFlu could save them.
This year I heard about the H1N1 flu going around.

H1N1 Flu Hits Hard With 147 Dead So Far in California ====== This is no fun neither, since I am in california. And suicidal thoughts side affect from TamiFlu is also no fun.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Be aware that some of the symptoms attributed to Tamiflu probably come from the flu itself. However, personally I wouldn't take it unless there was an unusually deadly strain going around.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 PM

I know I have the flu. The first day I got hit hard with 102 fever, and I was shaking violently, with body aches, headaches and cough. This is no common cold, must be the flu that going around.

Now no more shaking but fever still at 99, I think the flu still in my body. This is the 4th day into my sickness, so this TamiFlu probably won't work, LOL! Since it say must be taken 24-48 hours once exposed to the flu. I'm so undecided whether I take Tamiflu or not, both the Flu and this medicine both are deadly, LOL!

Hope to see more sharing stories from those who have took Tamiflu in the past. And thank you to all those that give your opinions, greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:13 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
You should forget about taking the Tamiflu. Your symptoms sound like they are easing. You may have what seem like short relapses to come yet. Flu is a hard illness to have. It can render you near useless for almost a week some for longer. Rest and drink lots of liquids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness