Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM

84 posts, read 216,100 times

Advertisements

Has anyone take Bactrim/Sulfamethoxazole antibiotic before? Any side-effects?
I was prescribed Bactrim/Sulfamethoxazole for urine bladder infection. Read the Side Effects, some of them are very scary.
I was diagnose with urine tract infection, usually this is not severe, I hope. Anyone who have UTI before, can share what did you do to relieved the symptoms, what antibiotics did you take?
Thanks, appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I've taken that before without any bad side effects, except for ending up with a yeast infection after the treatment. (pretty common for me with any antibiotic) I've also been prescribed Cipro for UTI and that's a lot harder on the stomach.

UTI can be serious, you should take the antibiotic or you should call your doctor and ask for a different antibiotic. UTI can spread to your kidneys.

For the symptoms, you can buy OTC pills called Azo, or the generic equivalent, to help with the pain. Azo will not treat the infection so you would still need the antibiotic. Also, drink plenty of water to help flush out the infection.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
I had an allergic reaction to Bactrim and broke out in horrid, itchy, blotchy hives from head to toe.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Just an awful metal taste in my mouth. Bactrim is the only thing I can take for a sinus infection...so I endure the nasty taste.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,634 times
Quote:
Has anyone take Bactrim/Sulfamethoxazole antibiotic before? Any side-effects?
I learned the hard way that antibiotics aren't the wonder drug anymore. Seems I catch every bug after I take antibiotics, so I've given up on them. Worried about becoming over medicated to the point, they won't help.

I found that more natural cures help me. I drink organic unsweetened cranberry juice when I feel something is coming on. Up my liposomal Vitamin C. And all that. Been working for me for eight years, so far.

@Kim in FL - I suffered from sinus infections for years. Was on every antibiotic that did nothing. Sprays, inhalers, steroids--absolutely zilch.

I have heard that they [infections] may be due to fungus, some are due to MOLD. Antibiotics won't do anything for these types.

I went organic and they cleared up on their own. Then, I had to build up the good bacteria in my gut--because it was killed off by the many antibiotics and steroids. It was alot of work.

Hope you find relief.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:21 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
When a bad cold turned into a massive sinus infection last month, I was prescribed 5 days of Prednisone and Bactrin. I had no idea what a powerful antibiotic Bactrin is until I ended up going to the hospital.

What kept me in the hospital was Afib, but the Bactrin had me breaking out into a rash (Didn't itch, and I was clueless), gave me a UTI and had my tongue looking and feeling like raw meat. Oh, and I also had a lot of yeast in my mouth which was causing huge globs of mucus to start dropping on my tongue at a rapid rate one day. I thought I was going to choke to death. I don't care what happens. I do not think that I would ever knowingly take Bactrin again.

Having read up on Afib, I'm wondering now if some of the various OTC meds I was taking while sick could have triggered it. In any case, I'm glad that the friend who came to visit me insisted on calling 911. God only knows what would have happened, if I had continued on the way I was.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I was prescribed Bactrim for a strep throat and it resulted in a raging headache. Just regular pennicillin had worked in the past. After the bactrim I asked for just regular pennicillin and it took the strep infection away.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM

393 posts, read 409,521 times
I take bactrim for recurrent "skin" problems. Usually a 2 week course. It's terrible, but I don't know of any alternatives. My side effects are insomnia, weird sleep when I do sleep, restless legs and convulsive behavior. Especially at night, my body tics, my arms just fly up for no reason, my legs continue to flex unflex, and I rock, which means my head rocks in a slight convulsive way. My wife thought I was having a seizure one night. I endure this because I have not found a better substitute for my condition. But.....Bactrim is awful.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:05 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Made my daughter's heart race wildly.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:20 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I had a bactrim/clindamycin bad reaction. All the lymphs nodes in my body swelled (told it's was either HIV or lymphoma) and broke out in a rash. Not a fan.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness