Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:26 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times

Advertisements

Sorry- everything started typing in bold.

Hope the link helps you kshegirl.

As a total aside, I mentioned that my HQ was in the US.

On one occasion all the sales staff from across the US and worldwide went to the launch of the new sleep diagnostic equipment.

Lectures and workshops were held mainly in English but other languages as well.

The English courses got oversubscribed so my Dutch boss aske dwhat my French was like and I ended up with their group! Interesting use of resources to fly me to California to go on a polysomnography course in French!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
My case is obviously different because of past facial injuries. The sleep study was necessary to warrant the opinion of my personal doctor and both results matched. Looking at my posts last night, they were a little winded. But if your husband responds and gets attention on this, then that's good.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:00 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times
Yes, sleep apnea can be dangerous. Our friend died two days before Christmas last year from "undetermined causes" but he too had sleep apnea and was not wearing his C-Pap machine that night. Ugh, I get so sad still thinking about it......

Anyway, my BF also is a bad snorer, but he is not overweight nor does he have any of the above mentioned health issues. It is just something about sleeping on his back! Luckily for me, I sleep like a log, so I only hear him if I can't fall asleep or something. Then I just tell him to roll over and it's done. All of our friends (and his family) are amazed because no one else can stand to sleep around him.......

I'm glad you were able to tape the evidence Kshe!!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I have been reading this thread with interest as in a former job I was involved among other things in selling polysomnography equipment used to diagnose breathing disorders during sleep.

My patch was the UK and the company was based in the US.

Sleep apnoea (trust us to spell it differently!) is a massive problem and one that is barely being addressed. I learnt way back in the early 1990s that you were more likely to be hit by a driver with this disorder than by someone who was drunk.

People do die in their sleep of this in extreme cases. More commonly people get up in the morning feeling that they need to go back to sleep.

In the UK your first port of call would be your local doctor, or GP.

I've lived in the US and wonder where you would go first, but I did google this and hope it will be of use to you.

Sleep Centers of America - Sleep Disorder Diagnostic Testing and Treatment

CPAP is commonly prescribed for this disorder and is extremely effective. Surgery is used though there are downsides to some procedures like having to relearn how to swallow, and controlling your sneeze! I stress that I am no expert on the surgical side of things and procedures may well be different these days. I have also been out of this line of work for over a decade.

What is absolutely correct is that this is a serious disorder, though just because you snore does not in itself mean you have it, just so as to not panic anyone.

If it were me I'd look into having a sleep test. In the UK a first step sometimes was to take home a device called a pulse oximeter which measures and would record blood oxygen levels during your sleep- it's painless as you just have a sensor across a finger, toe or ear lobe.

This will certainly pick out the obvious patients with this disorder but is limited in what it tells. A more thorough test is that of polysomnography which is carried out in a hospital or sleep center.

For kshe95girl .

Sleepcenters.org
God bless you for the link! I was just trying to decide how to educate myself on apnea. My family is in the medical field, so i always try to educate myself so i can understand what the docs are really saying.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:57 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
kshe95girl! Jezer has those terms right; The pulse oximeter is the device my doctor gave me. He notes that you have a sensor across your finger or toe ( I referred to it as a wire). The polysomnography (or sleep study) is what I had done at the hospital. Thanks Jeter , for the proper terms! I just couldn't think of the exact words when I was posting late last night. Kshe95girl- get back with us regarding your husbands appointment.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
sure will, HH..... again, i sooooo appreciate your help, just another of the reasons I like CD so much is all you awesome folks!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:06 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
I forgot about this post. I see I am not alone in this snoring problem. My hubby has gotten better about it. It isnt so loud and isnt all night like it used to be thank goodness.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
I am writing this at almost midnight as my husband is keeping me awake with the snoring. I told him that he is killing me! he went to the primary doctor and a few months ago, nothing was wrong. I made him go sleep on the couch the other night, so he finally went to a ENT. they said that from the initial exam, it did not appear that he has any structural problems. next, they want him to do some allergy testing. I am at my wits end. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in months. the stress of this is making me crazy. I am going to try sleeping in the spare room tonight. Of course, that is not the best bed in the house either. I think the one causing the disturbance, should be the one to go to the other room!!! I will follow up with the info that others have provided and really appreciate the info. ps..I had thought about the video taping too!!lol

Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
My husband did not take his snoring seriously for years because I was the one that would go sleep on the couch. The first time I asked him to move in the middle of the night he called for a sleep study the next day. He also started talking about setting up an extra bed in the office.
Why don't we take turns being the one on the couch????

Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 AM

152 posts, read 469,849 times
Default Hubby is also a bad snorer.

My hubby also is a mean, and by mean I mean loud, snorer. He can snore in any position at any time. It really is amazing . Anyway we had him tested for sleep apnea and it came back negative. We have tried just about everything in the stores for it and nothing helps. He also uses a nasal spray for allergies sometimes but that doesn't seem to do anything for the soring. He is overweight but he works out 5-6 days a week playing raquetball for about 2 hours and riding his bike to work 6 miles each way. He didn't realize how bad he was snoring until he went to do a triathalon with two friends and when he woke up one guy had a sweater tied around his head and the other was using his earplugs that he uses for swimming. LOL He also asked them if they heard the garbage trucks outside the room overnight. We all thought he was making a joke but later I realized he really thought there were garbage trucks in the parking lot in the middle of the night. I am laughing so hard right now I am crying just remembering it. Well at least that might make up for some of the snoring/sleepless nights.

My sister is also quite a snorer. One of her ex-boyfriends told her she snores like a 300 pound trucker (no offense to truckers). She is 4 feet 10 inches tall about 135lbs. Between the two of them they drive me mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness