Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times

Advertisements

My god, does anyone else here have a snoring husband? I am sitting here next to him in bed and he is snoring up a storm!!! He has tried some of the stop snoring things you can buy at like walmart or longs drugs, they helped for a bit. He wont go see a Dr. cuz he doesnt hear himself, so to him there isnt a problem. I am ready to bop him on the head with my computer..lol. I wake him up, pinch his nose(I read to do that) or go sleep on the couch. It drives me nuts, I bet the they can hear him two houses down. Any one have any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:58 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Scare him into going to the doctor, because it could be a very real problem called sleep apnea. Some people do just snore, but if it sounds like he's not breathing right or anything else, he should be evaluated for a sleeping disorder. Sleep apnea is a silent killer and often people pass it off as just a snoring problem when it really signifies much worse. Not to scare you or anything, but try to make him go to the doctor- that's what they're there for.

I had an ex who must have kept the entire apartment building up all night it was so bad- like a chainsaw. I once brought it up to his roommate and he said that he had to buy earplugs even though they both live on opposite ends of the apartment and sleep with their doors closed. I made him go to the doctor and lo and behold, he had sleep apnea.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:08 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
surgery on the excess tissue in his throat (if that is the cause) or separate bedrooms.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
well, i can tell you what worked for me..but first a question. Does your husband exercise? I used to snore like a freight train (literally). I tried that junk at wal-mart as well, it doesnt work. When I started running/jogging, I quit snoring. Idk if theres a medical study on that or anything, but Im not the only one that has quit snoring due to excercise. Just something to think about.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
My daughter sleeps in another room because of her husbands snoring, with ear plugs in her ears.. She has always been a very light sleeper (since birth) and that is one of her biggest complaints in her marriage.... his snoring.. His whole family has sleep apnea but he won't go have it checked out.

I know a man that had the surgery because his snoring rocked the house and even kept the neighbors awake and that solved his snoring problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM

238 posts, read 1,247,915 times
UGH..I, too, have one of those snoring husbands. Over the years I have threatened to record him so he can "hear" himself. The noise is awful x 10!! I honestly don't know how they sleep making all that racket. I truely get why some couples end up in separate bedrooms!!
My husband developed sleep apnea..(I discovered it) and now has to use a C-Pap machine which does away with the snoring but I now have cool blowing air to deal with..plus the mask that he wears is pretty unattractive.
On the other hand.. it protects him so it is a good thing

Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Our son had the surgery for sleep apnea in March. They removed his tonsils-which doc said were enlarged, removed the uvula, reduced his palate and tongue. He said the difference is remarkable. No more snoring, very well rested. Painful for the first 10 days but well worth it.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
If kicking doesn't work..there is a solution that works for many:
elevate the head of the mattress up 3-4 inches. You can buy pillow forms from Sears or other places..its high on one end, and slopes down. Put it under each side of the mattress and it really cuts down on snoring. It won't cure it 100%, but it's highly effective with no drugs. Add one of those Breathe right strips on the nose that holds air passages open. And your life should improve greatly.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Any one have any suggestions??
Sleep in the other room or wear earplugs.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Roll em over and kick em out! LOL..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness