Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,413 times

Advertisements

I was trail running when suddenly broke out in hives all over my body.... then my face swelled..... dizziness..... then started fainting. Also lost 90% of my vision. I tried walking and I would pass out after taking 2 steps. I laid there thinking I was gonna die then the the hives went away and I was fine again.

This has happened couple of times, each after I had a large dinner 1-2 hours prior to running.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Sounds to me like you had a severe allergic reaction to something. Doubtful you're allergic to exercise; if you were, you'd have trouble *every* time you run, not only those two times.

What does your doctor say it is?

Old 04-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Well, this has pretty much happened everytime I have run soon after eating a large dinner which is the only meal I have all day. I normally run in the morning and it has never happened then cause I never eat breakfast or lunch. According to the various articles I have read it says to wait at least 6 hours after a meal to exercise.

This is pretty much self diagnosis after reading tons of WebMD and other publications. And the symptons and causes seems to match.

Havent seen a doctor because I am waiting on insurance.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Well, this has pretty much happened everytime I have run soon after eating a large dinner which is the only meal I have all day. I normally run in the morning and it has never happened then cause I never eat breakfast or lunch. According to the various articles I have read it says to wait at least 6 hours after a meal to exercise.

This is pretty much self diagnosis after reading tons of WebMD and other publications. And the symptons and causes seems to match.

Havent seen a doctor because I am waiting on insurance.
1. If you -never- eat breakfast or lunch, and only eat a big dinner once a day, you're pretty much begging for a trip to the emergency room at some point. But you knew that.

2. If you run in the morning and don't get sick, then it's not running that's causing you to get sick. But you knew that.

3. No idea what article you've read that says to wait at least 6 hours after a meal to exercise, since most people eat once in the morning, once around noon, and once before 7 in the evening. That's less than 6 hours between each meal, and would require that you don't start exercising until 1 in the morning. That's illogical, for the vast majority of the food-consuming world that eats more than once a day. But you knew that.

4. You should pray to whatever deity you believe in that you don't end up in an emergency situation, if you're waiting for insurance to go to a doctor. I'm pretty sure you knew that too though.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 PM

Thanks for trying to help but I think I know more about this condition than you. Never said everyone has to wait 6 hours, only those afflicted with this condition. It would certainly explain why it only happens at night... because thats when I eat.

Heres an article that mentions waiting 6 hours after eating to prevent an attack.

http://www.etsu.edu/com/cme/document...maarticle6.pdf

I guess I have the money to go see a DR but need the money for other things right now. Plus there is no cure just avoidance like not running after dinner which I have done.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Sure there's a cure. Stop eating only dinner and nothing else the rest of the day. Start eating a couple of meals a day, plus a couple of snacks a day. The total amount of food can still be the total amount you normally eat at dinner, just split over the course of the day instead of all at once.

You're doing horrible things to your digestive system by stuffing your face once a day and not eating any other time during the day/week/month/year. You should be *finished* digesting your meal long before 6 hours has passed. But because you're not eating normally, your digestive system isn't digesting normally.

You don't need to learn to eat properly, you know how to eat properly. You're choosing not to. Once a day eating is not healthy. An occasional fast - fine. Once a day for one or two days a week - eh - fine enough. Once a day, exclusively, indefinitely - not fine.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 AM

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Eating more would mean I would have go into more Anaphylactic shocks!!!!!!! Thats like telling people who are allergic to peanuts that the cure is to eat more peanuts!!!!!!

Plus people who eat normally are inflicted with EI-Anaphylaxis too. There are those who are allergic to certain foods which triggers it when they exercise and those like me which is triggered by simply eating before exercising. But research has found that waiting 6 hours after eating then exercising diminishes the risk.

You really should read what I posted above because you are giving out horrible advice that can get someone killed!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 AM

You really should pay closer attention to what I said. I even spelled it out for you. I did NOT say you should eat more.

I DID say you should spread the amount of food you eat, over more of the day, and not eat it all in one meal.

If you eat 2 pounds of food at dinner time now: eat half a pound in the morning, half a pound in the mid-day, half a pound at supper time, and 1/4 pound each between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner."

If you're so concerned about your consumption + exercise, then try exercising BEFORE you eat, instead of AFTER you eat. Exercise right after you get up in the morning. And then you'll be able to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner like normal people do, and you'll never have to worry about allergic reactions.

If you are allergic to certain foods, then stop eating those certain foods. This isn't rocket science.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:46 AM

Kind of suspect, you show up here, a relatively new member, asking us to diagnose you, present symptoms that occur when you have unhealthy eating habits, and then get your dander up and insist you know more about the disorder than we do.

If you know more than we do, why are you asking us anything about it? Why not just go to the doctor? Or treat yourself?

If you don't know more than we do, why are you getting so defensive? You don't even know if you HAVE this disorder. Asking for diagnosis on the internet is - very unwise, at best. Downright dangerous, at worst.

Exercise-induced Anaphylaxis can be *deadly.* If you are sincerely concerned that you have it, the last place you should be asking for information about it is here. You should be asking an actual doctor in person.

If you don't like the suggestions you get here on the internet, stop asking for advice on the internet.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:16 AM

You still dont get it. People who eat normally are going into Anaphylactic shock.... so how do you explain that? You think eating "normally" is the cure right? Then how come it doesnt work?

You also seem to think eating a large meal triggers it which isnt true. A normal sized meal will trigger it if you exercise too soon. So how is eating 3 square meals a day a cure when if I run after breakfast, lunch or dinner I will still go into shock?????

You also said waiting 6 hours after meals in unnecessary. Hmmmmmm who should I believe scientists and doctors who have studied this condition for decades or some anonymous poster who has gottn everything else wrong? I think I will stick with the former.

The reason I asked was I was hoping people who have it and being treated would chime in with tips and advice because I got plenty of great advice for my question on gout.
Certainly didnt think some crazychik pretending to be a doctor to give me advice that I know would kill me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness