Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And, of course, her mother died of ovarian cancer, so there's the possibility of a genetic component. I had a lifelong best friend that I lost to cancer - every member of her family (including a two-year-old niece) died of a different cancer so there was clearly a genetic influence there.
I can see that. My mom's family was riddled with cancer: lung, ovarian, colon ... and maybe a few more. She lost a parent, three siblings, a couple of cousins and some nieces and nephews to the disease. There were probably more that we never knew about; they lived in another country and we lost touch with a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
I have a neighbor who is a chain smoker and she gets up early in the morning sometimes before the sun is up and sits out in the front or on the steps and smokes.So the first thing you smell as you walk outside is the stench of cigarettes. There should be a island for all smokers, cast them off and let them have a smoke fest with each other.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I'm married to a smoker (he smokes outside, away from the house), but I still have a no smoking clause in my rental contracts for our apartments that I have put in for the past ten years. It basically says, no smoking anywhere on the premises inside or out. People have the right to do (basically) what they want, but when someone's habit - whatever it is - effects my rental units and the other tenants, then I want to make it a non issue. That's not the only clause of course. I have clauses against water containing furniture, musical instruments, etc. So it's not like I'm picking on smokers alone, just things that I KNOW tenants would get upset over (smoking, loud noises, even hoarding of animals or trash/debris) and could damage my property (water containing furniture, smoking, etc.). I have to create an atmosphere that the demographic I'm in accepts (which, is a smoke free environment). I have to cater to what I think people want and the masses don't want to live next to a smoker (or a someone who has a mean dog or who beats on the drum like Gonzo for that matter). I have no doubt, that if someone did smoke, I'd hear about it and getting called for someone's personal habit is not something I care to listen to.

Is it easily enforceable? Not really. A nice conversation would probably do the trick. But I always have the choice of raising their rent if that doesn't work (which, if I have a good tenant, I don't raise the rent unless I've had to do something major in repairs... like 10's of thousand of dollars major). I've never had to deal with a smoking related issue though, and maybe because all the people I've picked just happen to be non smokers or maybe because people just follow the rules.

I wish I could rent from someone like you.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:32 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
If you think that is true (lounge singer 2nd-hand smoke), a causation -- then why aren't smokers 'dropping like flies'? I mean lots of them smoke DAILY for 50+ YEARS. Just curious how you rationalize that.

I think Ms. Reeves' may have been HRT-related (considering her age) - but of course, I have no way to know. Regardless, it's sad, and shocking - that's for sure!

I cannot rationalize it I don't really understand it either. I think diet and exercise as well as genes may have something to do with it. I just know that I don't want to breathe second hand smoke better to be safe than sorry.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not everyone who smokes will get lung cancer; however, the majority of lung cancer victims are smokers or former smokers.

There is no evidence HRT causes lung cancer. It is not biologically plausible that it would.
I had to do a little research on this. It appears that there is indeed no evidence HRT causes lung cancer, but women with lung cancer who take HRT may have a worse prognosis.

Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

"Lung cancer.

Women who took combined hormone therapy had the same risk of lung cancer as women who took the placebo. However, among those who were diagnosed with lung cancer, women who took estrogen plus progestin were more likely to die of the disease than those who took the placebo.
There were no differences in the number of cases or the number of deaths from lung cancer among women who took estrogen alone compared with those among women who took the placebo."

Old 04-29-2014, 03:59 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I live in an apartment complex that went smoke-free last fall. They sent out paperwork informing everyone that this was coming. They set up areas on the lawns with a chair or two and one of those things to put your cigarette butts in that is enclosed. I see people smoking in the designated areas, but I still think people smoke in their apartments. With the paperwork each household had to sign and date that they know all the rules associated with this and that they would not smoke in their apartments. I don't smoke and I am glad they did this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness