Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 AM

283 posts, read 729,010 times

Advertisements

I visited my opthalmologist (eye doctor) today. I have visited this doctor many times before. They mentioned they have a new computer system, and told me to fill out some forms so they could make sure they entered everything correctly into the new computer system.

They also asked to see my insurance card and my driver's license. I don't remember if they've ever asked for my driver's license before, but that didn't seem like a big deal.

Then after I filled out all the forms, one of the receptionists said she was going to take a photo of me and store it in their computer system. I said I've never heard of that before. Another receptionist said it's so they can be sure it's me when I come in, or something like that. Then the other receptionist held up this webcam and snapped a photo of my face.

I have seen many doctors and this is the first time I've ever had a doctor take a photo of me. Anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Yes I have had my picture taken at doctor's offices/hospital. I was told there is a medical "identity theft" problem. I guess some people say they are someone else so they can get medical care or something?

Also I just switched to a new vet for my dog... The vet took my dog's picture! I don't know if that is just to double check which "patient" they are treating - be sure they have the correct records pulled up on their computer? Avoid mistakes?

Anyway in either case, there also have been problems in the past giving a patient medication intended for someone else. Even doing an operation on someone intended for someone else. So they double and triple check that you are in fact you - avoid mistakes. (A good thing!)

Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I have had 3 doctors offices do this. I didn't like it at first, but thinking about it, with the electronic records, if your picture shows when they open your account, there is less of a chance of them accidentally being in the wrong chart.

I know when I go to my internists office, I can see my picture on the upper left hand side of the screen when they are taking my weight and temp.

I think I like it. So many mistakes can be made so easily in drs offices, and with that pic there it's not so easy!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
My dentist did this. I must say, I really don't like it. It seems to me to be just over the top invasive to my privacy. If he can't remember who I am after treating me for years, I dont think he thinks much of me as a patient. Just my opinion.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Not of me but as another poster said, of all my dogs and cats. Like Pikantari said, I like the idea.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
I work for a doctors' office and my daughter works at a vet. Medical offices do it for a lot of reasons. Many people have similar names within a family, like the father being John Doe, Sr and the son just going by John Doe. If they are both on the same medical policy and the son is an adult, it is difficult to figure out who is checking in sometimes. Also, there have been cases when John Doe Jr does not have insurance, and comes in posing as John Doe Sr so that he can get medical treatment under dad's plan. It happens all the time with all insurances where people come in and give a false name of someone they know has insurance of some sort. The friend would give them their insurance card (no picture on it) and the patient would claim to be that person. Medicaid fraud was huge because of this. We don't take pictures but we do ask for a photo ID and scan it into the chart. And we ask our front desk personnel to look at the picture when the patient checks in.

Same thing happens at the vet office with insurance. More and more owners are buying pet insurance and bring in other pets that are not insured, booking the appointment under the insured's name. So now they take pictures. Our vet uses the pictures to send a postcard when vaccinations and check ups are due. I like getting a postcard with my dog's picture on it! Of course there are the honest mistakes, in households with more than one dog etc, that the appointment was made or the chart was pulled for the wrong animal so the pictures help with that too.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
The hospital system I work for does this. My understanding is that it is primarily to help prevent insurance theft.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I work for a doctors' office and my daughter works at a vet. Medical offices do it for a lot of reasons. Many people have similar names within a family, like the father being John Doe, Sr and the son just going by John Doe. If they are both on the same medical policy and the son is an adult, it is difficult to figure out who is checking in sometimes. Also, there have been cases when John Doe Jr does not have insurance, and comes in posing as John Doe Sr so that he can get medical treatment under dad's plan. It happens all the time with all insurances where people come in and give a false name of someone they know has insurance of some sort. The friend would give them their insurance card (no picture on it) and the patient would claim to be that person. Medicaid fraud was huge because of this. We don't take pictures but we do ask for a photo ID and scan it into the chart. And we ask our front desk personnel to look at the picture when the patient checks in.

Same thing happens at the vet office with insurance. More and more owners are buying pet insurance and bring in other pets that are not insured, booking the appointment under the insured's name. So now they take pictures. Our vet uses the pictures to send a postcard when vaccinations and check ups are due. I like getting a postcard with my dog's picture on it! Of course there are the honest mistakes, in households with more than one dog etc, that the appointment was made or the chart was pulled for the wrong animal so the pictures help with that too.

I find it hard to believe that John Doe Jr. can get treated for something under John Doe Sr.'s name since every medical facility I have been to asks for my date of birth.
It would be obvious to most people on the planet that John Doe Jr. is not anywhere near 60 years old as stated in John Doe Sr.'s medical chart.

How can a long term Physician to one person "make a mistake" and treat someone else for an ailment under their name?
Our Doctor's and the staff know our names before they ever pull out a chart.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:33 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I find it hard to believe that John Doe Jr. can get treated for something under John Doe Sr.'s name since every medical facility I have been to asks for my date of birth.
It would be obvious to most people on the planet that John Doe Jr. is not anywhere near 60 years old as stated in John Doe Sr.'s medical chart.

How can a long term Physician to one person "make a mistake" and treat someone else for an ailment under their name?
Our Doctor's and the staff know our names before they ever pull out a chart.
You'd be surprised. My husband is a Jr. He used to see the same family doctor as his father. When he transferred his records to the new doctor, the new doc asked him why he didn't mention his heart problems. The records were totally screwed up. Thankfully the old doc is now retired.

This was less than 20 years ago. Hopefully it doesn't still happen, but we still occasionally catch old cars, credit cards, etc. on our credit report that should have been on his dad's.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
I had this happen for the first time back in March when I visited my LLMD for the first time and felt kind of odd about it...I pay out of pocket so it wasn't for insurance...I was nearly 300 miles from home and he treats no one in my family,so....not sure what its all about myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness