Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,366 times

Advertisements

On the heels of a similar but not same thread, can you have a flu without the eye, ear, nose, and throat symptoms of a cold?

My muscles are stiff and sore and I'm knocked out exhausted, but I'm not coughing or sniffling or anything like that....
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Flu is NOT a "cold"...Flu comes on suddenly, with fever, major body aches and respiratory symptoms, like cough.

A cold is a slower progresser....usually starts with sneezing, runny nose, maybe a sore throat.. generally little to no fever... Both will last about 10 days...but with the flu, you want to die.....you hurt and ache and feel like crap and can't function. With the cold, you feel like ****...but can function, if needed.

Flu (influenza) can cause complications, like pneumonia...take care!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I had that in November about a week after I got my flu shot. I thought it was related, but maybe not. It went away after about ten days.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 AM

107 posts, read 558,708 times
Yes, it's possible. But there are also many other flu-like viruses that can cause your symptoms.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:40 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
The "flu" shot is only 25% effective this year...they got the wrong strain!

Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,537 times
Hm this is what my husband just came down with. Felt really tired, cold, then got a 100.4 fever in the evening; slept all day, today felt a bit better and fever is lower but still there; but no cough or cold symptoms or sore throat, just a tiny bit of throat clearing. This is very different from when he gets a cold, which usually starts with sore throat and congestion and doesn't produce a fever; in fact he hasn't had a fever in a few years. This year was the first in five years that both of us got the flu shot because I'm pregnant, of course had to be the year when it's least effective. So I'm paranoid that he's got the flu, just milder version due to the shot. Out five year old didn't get the shot and he's never had the flu and I'm 20 weeks preg, so I'm really worried for both of us catching it if it is indeed the flu and the shot doesn't work well. Does it sound like it could be, with no cough or respiratory symptoms?

Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 AM

107 posts, read 558,708 times
Yes, it is could possibly be flu but you can't tell without the test. Flu can go without respiratory symptoms or without fever or without headache...or can be milder due to vaccine.

There are at least 200 viruses that can cause flu-like symptoms, so it is not necessary influenza virus.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 AM

526 posts, read 900,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Hm this is what my husband just came down with. Felt really tired, cold, then got a 100.4 fever in the evening; slept all day, today felt a bit better and fever is lower but still there; but no cough or cold symptoms or sore throat, just a tiny bit of throat clearing. This is very different from when he gets a cold, which usually starts with sore throat and congestion and doesn't produce a fever; in fact he hasn't had a fever in a few years. This year was the first in five years that both of us got the flu shot because I'm pregnant, of course had to be the year when it's least effective. So I'm paranoid that he's got the flu, just milder version due to the shot. Out five year old didn't get the shot and he's never had the flu and I'm 20 weeks preg, so I'm really worried for both of us catching it if it is indeed the flu and the shot doesn't work well. Does it sound like it could be, with no cough or respiratory symptoms?
That really doesn't sound like the flu. It's much more likely that it's one of those viruses that goes around. It's possibly you'll get it but it shouldn't make you or your child any sicker than it's making him. Just relax and try to get a lot of rest (not easy, I know, when you're pregnant and taking care of a little one!).

Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
My DS17 had the "flu" a few months back.

He never had any URT = upper respiratory tract---symptoms, no congestion, stuffed nose, but did have a hacking non-productive cough.

He had major body aches, and spiking fever, and chills. He wanted a ton of blankets, and I even put socks and a hat on him, he said he was "going to freeze to death" It happened on a weekend, and dh was out-of-town.To add to the scenario, it was a major thunderstorm, howling winds, rain, etc Its good I keep a well-stocked "pharmacy" always have Tylenol, robitussin, etc, on hand. You don't need a gallon of the stuff, just enough to get past a late-night, bad weather emergency.

I treated him with Tylenol, Motrin---yes you can do both, they are NOT the same drug! Some robitussin. I stayed awake all night, and kept checking on him every hour. I used an ear thermometer, I was afraid he would break an oral thermometer. His fever hovered around 102--104, then, suddenly broke. The sheets were flooded, at first I thought he had an accident, then realized it was sweat. I managed to get him up and take a shower, while I changed the bed linens, then got him back to bed, his temp was then 99. I also got him to drink Gatorade, iced tea, water, whatever I could get down him.

Next day, he was out running in the park Amazing how fast kids recover, wish we could do so!

BTW, he did have the flu shot, guess it didn't do him any good

Also, my immune system is compromised due to various meds --- methotrexate, prednisone, Enbrel---but I didn't get sick. I did have the flu shot, too, so, who knows? Just take care of yourself, eat right, get enough rest, take vitamins, keep your house clean, wash hands, stock up on Tylenol, robitussin, etc,

Last edited by MaryleeII; 01-29-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:14 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Yes, you can have flu without any symptoms of a cold. Worst case of flu I've ever had--late '80s--didn't carry any common cold symptoms, ailments. I was in bed for 10 days and it felt as though every bone in my body had been broken. At least I didn't have a runny nose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness