Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

ok, I am not going to write a book about knee replacement and I know every case is different, but I think I will list a few of my experiences so far: I had my left knee replaced 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am being told my progress is outstanding, but I will also say it is very painful.

What I didn't expect: I didn't expect to be quite so tired, but I am having a lot of problems sleeping.
I didn't expect to want to toss the pain meds. I have never done well with them, so am saying "no more" but others will disagree.
I didn't expect to have the home phyical theropist tell me to stop using my walker and start using my cane, just to be told, by my new phisical theropsit: outpatient to use my walker.
I didn't expect to lose my appitite. unfortunately I am getting it back.

I did expect to hurt more than I do.
I did expect to be home bound longer than I am. I started driving a couple of days ago. Doctor says as long as I am not taking narcotics and it is my left knee, go for it.

Most of all, I didn't expect to get the help and support from hubby I did. Also the support from all our church friends and others who continued to bring meals. I began to think I was on a cruise and everyone was there to wait on me 254/7,

Anyone who has any questions, just ask. I will do my best to tell you my experience, but do remember eveyone has a different one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
I will be a candidate for both knee replacements in the next 10 to 15 years. Thank you for sharing your experience. After two ruptured ACLs and one knee reconstruction, I know I can handle the pain and physical therapy, but it's easy to worry about other things as well. I keep thinking by the time I need the surgeries that the technology will be even better.

I hope in the end you know you made the best decision for yourself.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I will be a candidate for both knee replacements in the next 10 to 15 years. Thank you for sharing your experience. After two ruptured ACLs and one knee reconstruction, I know I can handle the pain and physical therapy, but it's easy to worry about other things as well. I keep thinking by the time I need the surgeries that the technology will be even better.

I hope in the end you know you made the best decision for yourself.
Just the improvements in the past few years is amazing. By the time you get there it will seem almost like a piece of cake. My husband has a friend who had both knees replaced about a week after me. He does not recommend doing both at once. Our daughter, only in her mid 50s is looking at replacement in the next few years.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Glad to hear you are doing well. Take it one day at a time. If hubby wants to help let him.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just the improvements in the past few years is amazing. By the time you get there it will seem almost like a piece of cake. My husband has a friend who had both knees replaced about a week after me. He does not recommend doing both at once. Our daughter, only in her mid 50s is looking at replacement in the next few years.
Great news! Thank you for the information. I am 51 now, and trying to hold out as long as I can. It is tough some days though. I like to work on cars and bending down to get down to my knees to work on things is not easy at all, and getting back up is just as much of a chore. People don't realize what I go through just to look at me, but it is not a fun condition at all. I was tough on my body through my 20s and am paying for it now. I take way too much ibuprofen, but the swelling and pain can be brutal to deal with at times.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Great news! Thank you for the information. I am 51 now, and trying to hold out as long as I can. It is tough some days though. I like to work on cars and bending down to get down to my knees to work on things is not easy at all, and getting back up is just as much of a chore. People don't realize what I go through just to look at me, but it is not a fun condition at all. I was tough on my body through my 20s and am paying for it now. I take way too much ibuprofen, but the swelling and pain can be brutal to deal with at times.
Chin up. My friend had two hip replacements before the age of 50. He (nearly) swam the English Channel after the first one. Don't listen to me. I'm a complete wimp these days. My son, not yet 30, complains about servicing cars in the cold. Some days, he comes home, takes a hot shower and goes to bed. I'm not sure I want to see what that looks like in 20 years.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Chin up. My friend had two hip replacements before the age of 50. He (nearly) swam the English Channel after the first one. Don't listen to me. I'm a complete wimp these days. My son, not yet 30, complains about servicing cars in the cold. Some days, he comes home, takes a hot shower and goes to bed. I'm not sure I want to see what that looks like in 20 years.
Poor guy. What we do in our younger years we pay for to be certain.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
ok, I am not going to write a book about knee replacement and I know every case is different, but I think I will list a few of my experiences so far: I had my left knee replaced 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I am being told my progress is outstanding, but I will also say it is very painful.

What I didn't expect: I didn't expect to be quite so tired, but I am having a lot of problems sleeping.
I didn't expect to want to toss the pain meds. I have never done well with them, so am saying "no more" but others will disagree.
I didn't expect to have the home phyical theropist tell me to stop using my walker and start using my cane, just to be told, by my new phisical theropsit: outpatient to use my walker.
I didn't expect to lose my appitite. unfortunately I am getting it back.

I did expect to hurt more than I do.
I did expect to be home bound longer than I am. I started driving a couple of days ago. Doctor says as long as I am not taking narcotics and it is my left knee, go for it.

Most of all, I didn't expect to get the help and support from hubby I did. Also the support from all our church friends and others who continued to bring meals. I began to think I was on a cruise and everyone was there to wait on me 254/7,

Anyone who has any questions, just ask. I will do my best to tell you my experience, but do remember eveyone has a different one.
I had two knee replacements done at the same time, why? to get it over with....
My advice is to do exactly what the doctor and theropist tells you to do! If you don't listen, and exercise, like your supposed to, your knee might lock up...

as far as sleeping, I stayed on the couch, sitting up, with my knees out straight, and laid pillow at my head, b/c I was unable to lay down in bed....it was uncomfortable for me to do.

Stay with the meds, as long as they tell you to....I am not one to take them but your body needs to rest after such a major surgery.....believe me, you need your rest...so listen to your body.
I hurt more then I expected right after surgery....

Good Luck....

Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I had two knee replacements done at the same time, why? to get it over with....
My advice is to do exactly what the doctor and theropist tells you to do! If you don't listen, and exercise, like your supposed to, your knee might lock up...

as far as sleeping, I stayed on the couch, sitting up, with my knees out straight, and laid pillow at my head, b/c I was unable to lay down in bed....it was uncomfortable for me to do.

Stay with the meds, as long as they tell you to....I am not one to take them but your body needs to rest after such a major surgery.....believe me, you need your rest...so listen to your body.
I hurt more then I expected right after surgery....

Good Luck....
Thanks for all the advise. As for the couch, well, we found out the hard way, our new couch, only a year old, is about the most uncomfortable place to sit much less sleep in our entire house. Otherwise I would do just that. It is too late now to start over.

I am trying to do exactly what the doctor and PT says to do, but they don't always agree. I know each day is a little better, just think I am very impatient. And as I said, the sleeping is the worst, though it is getting a litttle better each day.

The positive thing: I have lost about 10 lbs, the bad, I know I will gain it all back in no time, now that my appitite is picking up again.

I give you credit for doing both at once, it is like bunion surgery only worse; yes, doing both gets it all over, but boy I don't think I could have handled both at once.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advise. As for the couch, well, we found out the hard way, our new couch, only a year old, is about the most uncomfortable place to sit much less sleep in our entire house. Otherwise I would do just that. It is too late now to start over.

I am trying to do exactly what the doctor and PT says to do, but they don't always agree. I know each day is a little better, just think I am very impatient. And as I said, the sleeping is the worst, though it is getting a litttle better each day.

The positive thing: I have lost about 10 lbs, the bad, I know I will gain it all back in no time, now that my appitite is picking up again.

I give you credit for doing both at once, it is like bunion surgery only worse; yes, doing both gets it all over, but boy I don't think I could have handled both at once.
LOL, sending hugs
you can handle it b/c you have to....I guess?
Please get well soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness