Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times

Advertisements

When my dad was fully in his alcoholism, he had a bottle every other day of whiskey. Yes, that's a lot, and that doesn't include the pills and the other drinks he might have out at times. He still could function fine at his job but that and the smoking was killing him. He finally got off the booze, but it took 3 months at Hazeldon in MINN. He never did get off the smoking and was able to get off the pills years later.

He probably has an addiction. With determination and help, he can get off the sauce, if he wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Don't you mean recovering? Nobody is ever fully recovered from this.......you always walk that line. I used to go to AA with my husband and there was a speaker that slipped after 50 years of sobriety.....
So you went to the meetings and didn't read the A.A. book?

http://www.amazon.com/Alcoholics-Ano.../dp/B001QT36D2

To the slipper with 50 years, tragic. The only way that would be worse would be me in his shoes.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

To the slipper with 50 years, tragic. The only way that would be worse would be me in his shoes.
I read some of the book, but, not all of it since I'm not an alcoholic at all I was the one that suffered because of one.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Quote:

Nah - It would be worse if it was me.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:20 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I read some of the book, but, not all of it since I'm not an alcoholic at all I was the one that suffered because of one.
Sorry about that, and I fully understand.

You were with someone who was recoverING.

Ever notice how those who say they are recovering aren't? It's treatment center middle of the road garbage. I met a gal who would leave my ass if I drank around her. No pressure. That's just the way it is.

She is healthy.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:31 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:
31 years of seeking recovery is sad?

How so?

Sober 11+ years now, happy, great wife, nice home, love my career. What did I miss?

I need to go back and blame A.A. that I didn't get sober back when I was 18?

I'll have to get right on that.

BTW, I'm a recovered alcoholic, am sponsor-free, am not sponsoring anybody, am not powerless over alcohol at all, and am looking to walk away from A.A. now.
I am confused, First you said that you had been seeking recovery for 31 years and now you say that you are recovered. Which is it?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,484 times
Quote:

I never quite saw it as Bill did.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Two words: Life insurance

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
yeah, that's excessive, but not an ungodly amount. my mother weighed all but 100 pounds and would go through 3 1.75L bottles of vodka a week. she drank it like water. it was a terrible life living with that nonsense as a teenager. looking back at it now, I am amazed she is even alive now...not without consequence though. she's had a massive avalanche of health problems.

hell, even I would polish off a handle of rum in about a weeks time for a year or two after high school. then I eventually woke up and thought that maybe I should cut down a bit.(or a lot)
So what (or how much) is a "handle of rum"?

Old 04-10-2015, 03:07 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
More double talk and circular reasoning. If someone doesn't succeed in AA, their adherents say they weren't will, weren't "real alcoholics" or are chronically incapable of being honest with themselves. If someone stops drinking on their own, they're not "real alcoholics".

"It works if you work it" i.e. if it fails, it's your fault for not working it.

There is no room for the idea that AA itself is the failure, in the minds of its pure believers.

31 years seeking recovery? Sad, if you ask me.

My issues were addressed and are over. I can use the term "recovered" in the past tense.

I can indeed tell you you don't know me, and it's exceedingly arrogant and presumptuous of you to put all people who see through the fallacies of AA into the "the likes of you" box.

Indeed, using a phrase like that makes me think you have some resentments to address. Looks like your higher power left you with at least one defect of character.
Reading several of your posts in this thread, not just the one quoted above, I note that you are obsessed with denigrating AA. It is generally agreed that AA doesn't work for everybody, but you seem to be saying it doesn't work for anybody. What caused you to become an anti-AA fanatic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness