Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,432 times

Advertisements

I am 32 year male and was involved in an accident on Dec 11th 2014 in Houston Texas, with multiple open fractures on fibula and tibia including ~4 cm bone loss at the bottom region the tibia , fracture on femur and left ring finger .I also have partial drop foot because of the muscle loss .Please refer the X-rays for fracture details.

The other major procedure is the free flap plastic surgery to my leg and also have only 1 artery alive on my left leg (only Posterior Tibial ). Fractures are taken care of with nails and plates,I had to choose between "ilizarov technique" and " bone graft " for the 4 cm bone loss on my left leg tibia resulting from open fracture and I choose the bone graft

My bone graft was done on Feb 11th 2015 . After 2.5 months now there was one small blood bubble wound which didn't heal and I was admitted again (on April 28th 2015) to check if there is any infection .The results showed Positive for [COLOR="rgb(153, 50, 204)"]"Pseudomonas aeruginosa" bacteria. I am on a 6 week IV antibiotic " Cefepime" [/color] To tackle this infection. Apart from it the X-rays shows that the bone graft had not yet started healing and is in the same condition as placed 2.5 months back.So the doctor feels that the bone graft would not work and I should soon go for ilizarov method for the nonunion to save my leg from amputation .

But in my todays appointment (May 20th 2015) The X-ray shows some improvement. How significant is the improvement and if this is something positive and if my fracture would heal with the bone graft itself that's already done, without the need to go for ilizarov is something my doctor is not sure.

My queries if you can please help me would be ,

Is it right with the doctor saying the bone graft done on me will not work? Should i go for ilizarov Technique immediately or is there any chances for the bone graft to heal with the antibiotics? ( i never had fever or puss formation, wound looks dry and clean now)

I kindly request you to let me know your expert opinion on how much bone needs to be removed which would eventually decide how long it will take to regrow and me be fit if we are going for Ilizarov technique.

How long can i wait more and see of the bone graft heals? before i decide for Ilizarov.( this is the 3rd week of antibiotic and i have 3 more weeks to go). Blood report says my infection is gone!

Here are the latest X-Rays taken on May 8th uploaded in the below link.Old X-rays are also there in the sub folders (Accident day X-ray, X-rays Before bone graft and After bone graft)

Also uploaded initial surgery doctor reports for orthopedics and plastic surgery. (PDF files) , Latest X-rays are also attached here.(just in case)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6hB65ahAQkOfkFhbHBwUFZXaE5sSGU2NFk wc1BEMS1nN0dsRXp6SDc2aTJkOEJTSFhjbTA&usp=sharing

Really appreciate your time and patience to go through this report. Would be very grateful for your expert advice.

Sincerely
Guru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 09:51 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Have you tried EXOGEN | The EXOGEN Ultrasound Bone Healing System is the only device that uses unique ultrasound technology.

I'm using it now on my Tibia and it seems to be helping. I don't have a nonunion but I have spoken to others who did and they also say it helped.

ETA: it's prescription only

Old 05-23-2015, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,432 times
Thanks a lot for this info. Will check withy doctor how to get it.....

Old 05-23-2015, 11:59 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
No ortho on here will speculate or advise you. Just not professional and open to malpractice claims. Your question us beyond the capability of lay persons.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,560 times
Am interested to know how you get on. I am 3 weeks into broken fib and tib compound brake.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
So I was getting better and then there was a pop. I admit I was standing but I thought that was okay according to what the doctor told me. I now have a cast from beyond my toes to my upper thigh. I go back Tuesday to get the ports for my bone stimulator put in my cast. Actually this one is rubbing my heal so I'm asking for a new one. The doctor seems to think I'll need surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness