Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:29 PM

194 posts, read 246,334 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm just being dramatic or if this is normal, but I'm totally miserable almost constantly. I have pain all over my body since winter started. My movements are stiff and it's just hard to move at all. The only time I'm not absolutely in pain is when I'm in a hot shower, but my toes are still purple. I can hardly sleep at night with my 3 blankets, and I know being under stress is worse (dealing with a broken heart-- but the reason isn't important here).

I'm not really asking for advice for how to minimize it because I know I'm going to be moving to a warm climate asap, but just asking if this is normal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 01:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Have you seen your doctor? I don't think it's normal for your toes to be purple all the time. Usually the cold will turn them white, then sometimes blue or purple, but they go back to normal after that.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Have you seen your doctor? I don't think it's normal for your toes to be purple all the time. Usually the cold will turn them white, then sometimes blue or purple, but they go back to normal after that.
Yeah, he diagnosed me with Raynaud's when I went to him for some other problem, he's my rheumatologist. When he asked to check my toes, he did was like "Your feet are even worse [than my hands], they're purple!!"

He did offer some medicated lotion and I know I can take calcium blockers to reduce the attacks. I don't like being on medication but I might break down while I'm still living here and get them soon... I was on 4 medications at the time he offered, but I didn't want even more to take. That was last year and the Raynaud's seems to be worse this year.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:54 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Pernio, also known as Chilblains, can cause purple fingers and toes, too. I have both Raynaud's and Pernio. I think of Pernio as an extreme version of Raynaud's. My Pernio was diagnosed via biopsy. It's very painful and can lead to blistering and sores.

I wear two pairs of socks at all times in the winter and even wear those stretchy little one-size-fits-all gloves in the house when I'm sitting still, like reading or working on the computer. It helps. And I use way more than three blankets on my bed - over my feet, that is. I fold several blankets several times and place them over just my feet. I just counted the layers - 21!! You read that right - twenty-one. That's what it takes. It still isn't a complete solution but it helps.

I'm in Northern California. My house is kept at 72 in the daytime and 66 at night. And I still have issues. I don't blame you for leaving Michigan! I'd be in agony.

Since you're seeing a rheumy (as am I), I'm surprised he didn't consider the possibility of Pernio as it can be a sign of Lupus. In my case, I don't (so far) have Lupus so Pernio can be a stand-alone problem. There are some really good photos of Pernio on the internet . . . you might want to take a look (and read about it) so you can see if your feet look like that.

I hope your move to a warmer climate helps.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post

Since you're seeing a rheumy (as am I), I'm surprised he didn't consider the possibility of Pernio as it can be a sign of Lupus. In my case, I don't (so far) have Lupus so Pernio can be a stand-alone problem. There are some really good photos of Pernio on the internet . . . you might want to take a look (and read about it) so you can see if your feet look like that.

Ah yeah... actually he's been giving me blood tests every few months to watch for Lupus development. I do have one antibody that's "borderline abnormal" as he says, and it's the one that if fully developed, will be Lupus.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:

I'm in Northern California. My house is kept at 72 in the daytime and 66 at night. And I still have issues. I don't blame you for leaving Michigan! I'd be in agony.

I actually feel a lot better now.... I feel more normal now. I am in agony a lot, my dad just thinks wearing slippers is the answer -_- he'll never understand how bad we feel, when I complain about how bad it hurts, he says, "Oh, it does not!"

Old 12-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
Ah yeah... actually he's been giving me blood tests every few months to watch for Lupus development. I do have one antibody that's "borderline abnormal" as he says, and it's the one that if fully developed, will be Lupus.
Oh good. I'm glad he's on it. You sound just like me . . . I have so many "markers" and we're waiting for that one test that crosses the line. Maybe it will or maybe it won't.

I just read your post about moving to Florida. If you think of it, could you come back here after you've been there awhile and let us know if your Raynaud's improves? I've had several doctors tell me I should move to Florida or Hawaii but I'm not anxious to do a major move.

I haven't gone for the meds, either. I tend to react badly to meds and don't want to complicate matters. And I agree about people not "getting" us. Very frustrating! You're not alone in that.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Oh good. I'm glad he's on it. You sound just like me . . . I have so many "markers" and we're waiting for that one test that crosses the line. Maybe it will or maybe it won't.

I just read your post about moving to Florida. If you think of it, could you come back here after you've been there awhile and let us know if your Raynaud's improves? I've had several doctors tell me I should move to Florida or Hawaii but I'm not anxious to do a major move.

I haven't gone for the meds, either. I tend to react badly to meds and don't want to complicate matters. And I agree about people not "getting" us. Very frustrating! You're not alone in that.
No way, I'm never coming back here once I move. My Raynaud's isn't the only reason I'm moving, I hate it here. I definitely just want to move to FL and stay forever.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
No way, I'm never coming back here once I move. My Raynaud's isn't the only reason I'm moving, I hate it here. I definitely just want to move to FL and stay forever.
LOL! No, I meant come back here to this forum/thread and let us know how your Raynaud's is faring in your new climate. Yikes . . . if I left Michigan I'd never go back either. No offense to any Michigan residents meant, just the climate. I'm sure it has its merits, just not for me (or you).

Old 12-22-2015, 11:34 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
I think the other poster meant to come back to this forum to update about your condition, not come back to Michigan.

About weather and Raynaud's, I live in South TX and we may have several weeks of weather cold enough to cause me some discomfort. I have to wear gloves if I ride my bike early in the morning from December through February, but that's really it. My mother has trouble whenever the temperature is lower than 50, but still, that's not so many days out of the year. Her Raynaud's has gotten worse as she's gotten older, so maybe mine will too.

Have you seen those little chemical warming packets? The most common brand is Hot Hands, and they make some with adhesive that you can use for your feet. They stay warm about 8 hours. That might be a good way to feel a little more comfortable until your move. I use the ones without adhesive in my jacket pockets if I'm going to be out in the cold, that way I can just stick my hands in the pockets to feel more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness