Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I've tried accupuncture for my FM. Just the insertion of the tiny needles was very painful and it was that way the entire time they were left in. The gal said that was not common so she had me just sitting for one visit. SO, she finally gave up on me and told me she did not think it would help me at all.

The only thing that helps me is exercise and a LOT of it.

Jammie, I had that same experience with physical therapy. After the second treatment the nice young man gave up on me. A few days later I recieved a check in the mail refunding what I had payed him!

I am still contemplating chiropractic again. The one I went to is good at messaging, and that helped. He was very gentle with the manipulation. I had given some thought to accupuncture, which he also does, but after your post...I will rethink that.

I have to be extremely careful with exercise. ( But then, I am almost 77. ) The slightest wrong movement, and I suffer for days, espacially with my arms and shoulders.

Now before some jump on me about all the elderly people who benefit from exercise ...do those people have what I have? I wish I were where I could do the water therapy, but that is not possible at this time due to the distance I live from town, and due to my responsibilities at home with my 83 year old husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 PM

76 posts, read 265,300 times
yes, many patients are too sensitive for acupuncture, but TCM is a lot more than just acupuncture. talk to your health care practitioner about testing your oxidation levels. its a cheap test that can even be done at home. its not a complete test and more information would be needed, but if your oxidation levels are high, it may be a good place to start. As I mentioned before, this, combined with high nitrate levels (could be cause by many things as well, such as leaky gut syndrome) have the potential to cause elevated peroxynitrate, which can be very damaging to the system, and some research indicates it may be at the root of FMS and CFS.
while this is not a cure, it may help point out what imbalances are present, and how to counter the imbalances in a safe and productive way. I have read about and have had great results with the approach. its not new, these tests have been around for many years, but are not used as much any more. There is a company that sells the oxidation test kit for home use, i think its under $15...

Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Like all of you I have FM, I also have chronic Lymes due to where I live I get it once or twice every year any tick bite re-activates I also have chronic EBV (Epstein Barr Virus sometimes called CFS) diagnosed by a Dr. who wanted to put me on toxic meds. I'm also post-menapausel and hypothyroid.

So If I'm a good girl and stay away from wheat, dairy, surgar, gluten, citris fruits, and fruits and veggies with natural mold i.e. raisens, grapes, 'shrooms. Get plenty of rest and don't over do, I manage to get by. But staying on such a strick diet is very hard to do and costly.

I do know where I live NE GA, has sucked the life out of me and I'm trying to sell my property and move to a dryer temperate climate in the NW (central, eastern or southern OR, WA) per my Dr. We need a place that's not too hot not too cold and low humidity, the cold and the humidity really reak havoc with the symptoms.

There are quite a few good web sites about FM and usually it is a side effect of an undiagnosed problem like Lymes, EBV/CFS etc. Also, each person has to be treated individually, there is no cookie cutter maintenance program what works for one won't for another. There is a great Doc in Athens, GA I was seeing who is a sufferer like the rest of us and had spent years resolving the issues, however, he doesn't take insurance, is pricy, and now that I'm unemployed and uninsured seeing him is not an option.

I wish all my fellow suffers well and hope you find something that works for you.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:41 PM

369 posts, read 942,416 times
cutting out grains and cow's milk diary would be a good start.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 PM

633 posts, read 1,949,994 times
Default fibromyalgia is symptom not a problem

I believe fibro is a symptom and not a problem. I have lyme and one of the symptoms is fibro.

While I focus on lyme acupuncture relieved me of the pain within a day or 2. I believe many people are misdiagnosed for lyme or the doctor interprets the band on the test as NO because of the CDC BS standards. You either have it or you don't.

I have been treated and I believe I was cured. Problem is I live in NJ and keep getting bit. I use alternative treatment like anti parasitics in stead of getting antibiotics as a total solution. I also maintain with the anti parasitics when I feel good since you dod't always know when you get bit.

But back to fibro again try accupunture, I can not comment on accupressure although I expect with a good tech you would have good results.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I believe fibro is a symptom and not a problem. I have lyme and one of the symptoms is fibro.

While I focus on lyme acupuncture relieved me of the pain within a day or 2. I believe many people are misdiagnosed for lyme or the doctor interprets the band on the test as NO because of the CDC BS standards. You either have it or you don't.

I have been treated and I believe I was cured. Problem is I live in NJ and keep getting bit. I use alternative treatment like anti parasitics in stead of getting antibiotics as a total solution. I also maintain with the anti parasitics when I feel good since you dod't always know when you get bit.

But back to fibro again try accupunture, I can not comment on accupressure although I expect with a good tech you would have good results.
I had Fibro long before there was anything called Lyme disease, and in an area where there is still no such disease. I am afraid I cannot agree with your theory. I would never give anyone false hopes as to a cure for Fibromyalgia Syndrome! There are almost as many theories as to what will help it, as there is people who have it! And what may seem to help one, may do nothing at all for another.
I am sorry to seem so negative, but I have fought this for over 40 years. Just as there is no 'cure' for osteoarthritis, there is no cure for fibromyalgia. Both may have remissions, and some remissions last longer than others.
I am taking meds that ease my discomfort, but I am not deluded into thinking I am cured.
I presume, from your name, you are a man. I believe what few men have fibromyalgia may be affected differantly than all the women that have it.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:14 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I had Fibro long before there was anything called Lyme disease, and in an area where there is still no such disease. I am afraid I cannot agree with your theory. I would never give anyone false hopes as to a cure for Fibromyalgia Syndrome! There are almost as many theories as to what will help it, as there is people who have it! And what may seem to help one, may do nothing at all for another.
I am sorry to seem so negative, but I have fought this for over 40 years. Just as there is no 'cure' for osteoarthritis, there is no cure for fibromyalgia. Both may have remissions, and some remissions last longer than others.
I am taking meds that ease my discomfort, but I am not deluded into thinking I am cured.
I presume, from your name, you are a man. I believe what few men have fibromyalgia may be affected differantly than all the women that have it.
I gotta go with you on this one Towhee.
My hubby has it. It's not a symptom of something else. IT IS Fibromyalgia.
Part of the problem getting treatment is because there are so many who don't belive it's a real disease.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,994 times
Not trying to make light or give false hopes or anything else that might upset or anger someone who suffers from fibro.

I tell ya, in forums wording is everything 1. the writer is talking to them self and typing, 2. the reader is reading to them self and there is always a gray line of interpretation.

I too know and understand fibro. I have "in the past" suffered the great pains of it. One time I had pain for a week, I also developed a rash (like chikers) on my ankle so I went to a dermatologist he looked at my ankle and said I don't know what that is on your leg buy do you know you have last shingles. I said oh that is what the pain was, I thought it was my fibro.

I had accepted it as fibro and never thought it was anything else.

What I try to explain to peolple is to at least rule out lyme for "all" mimic disease symptoms like EB, fibro, MS, lupus and all the other crap.

I do not try to lessen the severity of the ailments but rather hope people will look at ther health and well being differntly. I feel the more we know, the more we understand, the more we try, and the more we are involved and hopefully incharge of our own health the better we will be.

Even if you except the concept and want to rule out lyme, then the next hurdle is finding a good lyme knowledgable doctor and competent labwill be hard enough. I will only use Igenex in california. That is at least half the battle.

Her is a good example; I finally got my mother a coulple of years ago to get tested, I had to go through the hoops of her health provider for referals and such. I finally get the results back we go to the GP and he says your mother does not have lyme! I said I appreciate your oppinion but what I want and need is the referral to the infectous medicine doctor for his interpritation. I got it but the request was not recieved well, you know I not a doctor..

So we finally get an appointment in Staten Island, NY a very crowded city, they only had 1 night a week to deal with lyme issues, it's only a dwmn epidemic, jst not a money maker.

Anyway, the doctor looks at the results and says your mother DOES NOT have lyme, I instantly ask, are you interpreting the test with the CDC / NY standard, the reply oh yes. How would you interpreit with the Igenix standards? Oh your mother HAS lyme and I will give her antibiotics for 28 days. Now I have to be careful, again half way there, I say doc, I am sure you know the spirokeet has a 30 day life cycle so could she have it for longer and he said yes.

He realizes I have some backround in lyme so he invites me to a symposium he is speaking at the next week.

Now, the next apointment arrives and I urge not only him but my mom to continue for another month and we do. But he says that is all I will perscribe. This statement is not based on a medical reason but something other political, CDC who knows.

As we are leaving he asked did I see him speak I said no, I asked did you mention there is very strong evidence that lyme is past invitro and with not much back bone he say no.

Some say it's not in my area. we are not even sure how it many different ways it can be passed.

I use to fix computer and sometimes finding the solution in what was the least expensive "hit and miss" way or educated guess with component swapping, it is not what is wrong but what is not.

As for the accupunture I only had one really good doctor and he when back to asia. Initally I went to him for allergies in my pre diagnosed lyme days. Not only did my reperatorty alleries go completly away but so did a newly developed lactose intolerance. Thank god my Lyme has not been as sever as many have and I have wondered was it due to the accupunture?

Well just trying to help, be well.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Not trying to make light or give false hopes or anything else that might upset or anger someone who suffers from fibro.

I tell ya, in forums wording is everything 1. the writer is talking to them self and typing, 2. the reader is reading to them self and there is always a gray line of interpretation.

I too know and understand fibro. I have "in the past" suffered the great pains of it. One time I had pain for a week, I also developed a rash (like chikers) on my ankle so I went to a dermatologist he looked at my ankle and said I don't know what that is on your leg buy do you know you have last shingles. I said oh that is what the pain was, I thought it was my fibro.

I had accepted it as fibro and never thought it was anything else.

What I try to explain to peolple is to at least rule out lyme for "all" mimic disease symptoms like EB, fibro, MS, lupus and all the other crap.

I do not try to lessen the severity of the ailments but rather hope people will look at ther health and well being differntly. I feel the more we know, the more we understand, the more we try, and the more we are involved and hopefully incharge of our own health the better we will be.

Even if you except the concept and want to rule out lyme, then the next hurdle is finding a good lyme knowledgable doctor and competent labwill be hard enough. I will only use Igenex in california. That is at least half the battle.

Her is a good example; I finally got my mother a coulple of years ago to get tested, I had to go through the hoops of her health provider for referals and such. I finally get the results back we go to the GP and he says your mother does not have lyme! I said I appreciate your oppinion but what I want and need is the referral to the infectous medicine doctor for his interpritation. I got it but the request was not recieved well, you know I not a doctor..

So we finally get an appointment in Staten Island, NY a very crowded city, they only had 1 night a week to deal with lyme issues, it's only a dwmn epidemic, jst not a money maker.

Anyway, the doctor looks at the results and says your mother DOES NOT have lyme, I instantly ask, are you interpreting the test with the CDC / NY standard, the reply oh yes. How would you interpreit with the Igenix standards? Oh your mother HAS lyme and I will give her antibiotics for 28 days. Now I have to be careful, again half way there, I say doc, I am sure you know the spirokeet has a 30 day life cycle so could she have it for longer and he said yes.

He realizes I have some backround in lyme so he invites me to a symposium he is speaking at the next week.

Now, the next apointment arrives and I urge not only him but my mom to continue for another month and we do. But he says that is all I will perscribe. This statement is not based on a medical reason but something other political, CDC who knows.

As we are leaving he asked did I see him speak I said no, I asked did you mention there is very strong evidence that lyme is past invitro and with not much back bone he say no.

Some say it's not in my area. we are not even sure how it many different ways it can be passed.

I use to fix computer and sometimes finding the solution in what was the least expensive "hit and miss" way or educated guess with component swapping, it is not what is wrong but what is not.

As for the accupunture I only had one really good doctor and he when back to asia. Initally I went to him for allergies in my pre diagnosed lyme days. Not only did my reperatorty alleries go completly away but so did a newly developed lactose intolerance. Thank god my Lyme has not been as sever as many have and I have wondered was it due to the accupunture?

Well just trying to help, be well.
so...basically you think (A) if it isn't Lyme, then it isn't anything and surely not Firbomyalgia (B) you think you had Fibromylagia for one week due to one week of pain and (C) you think MS, Lupus,Fibromylagia,etc are all crap ???
that about cover it?

I hope you never truly get and must suffer from the real fibromylagia. The stress alone,I feel, would cause you to suffer more pain. It is a non stop, ongoing pain everywhere. Not everyone who has pain has Lyme and I don't know the statistics but can guess that a whole lot of suffering people were never bitten by a tick and chances are pretty good they don't have Lyme but do in fact have FIBROMYALGIA.
You do a great injustice to those who have this disease by continuing to demean it, protest that it doesn't exist and think the suffering last a week.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
so...basically you think (A) if it isn't Lyme, then it isn't anything and surely not Firbomyalgia (B) you think you had Fibromylagia for one week due to one week of pain and (C) you think MS, Lupus,Fibromylagia,etc are all crap ???
that about cover it?

I hope you never truly get and must suffer from the real fibromylagia. The stress alone,I feel, would cause you to suffer more pain. It is a non stop, ongoing pain everywhere. Not everyone who has pain has Lyme and I don't know the statistics but can guess that a whole lot of suffering people were never bitten by a tick and chances are pretty good they don't have Lyme but do in fact have FIBROMYALGIA.
You do a great injustice to those who have this disease by continuing to demean it, protest that it doesn't exist and think the suffering last a week.

Thanks....I would not wish my 40+ years with this condition on anyone...not even my worse enemy ! Even when the pain subsides for awhile, the fatigue and brain fog are still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness