Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times

Advertisements

I'm glad it went so well for you. I was thinking about you today and hoping you'd report back. I've had the shot in my shoulder and it wasn't all that easy - but maybe that was the doc behind the needle. Technique is everything. Here's hoping it did the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 10:51 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
When I had cortisone shots they just numbed the area, didn't feel a thing. OP ask your doctor to numb the area if he/she isn't planning on doing it.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I'm glad it went so well for you. I was thinking about you today and hoping you'd report back. I've had the shot in my shoulder and it wasn't all that easy - but maybe that was the doc behind the needle. Technique is everything. Here's hoping it did the trick.
Pain from the cortisone shots varies a great deal depending on injection site. When I got the shot in my ankle, I was told the ankle and shoulder are among the most painful, iirc.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 02-13-2016 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 04:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Pain from the cortisone shots varies a great deal depending on injection site. When I got the shot in my ankle, I was told the ankle and shoulder are among the most painful, iirc.

I guess I've just been lucky with my doctors. I've had shots in the ankle and shoulder, no big deal! And they gave tremendous relief! I had a shot in my shoulder about a week before my hip replacement surgery. It settled my shoulder down, otherwise, I couldn't have used crutches after the hip replacement. Actually, the shoulder shot was almost a year ago and still doesn't hurt! The doctor who did it specializes in hip and shoulder replacements. I figured, if he can do such joint replacements, he surely can do injections! I think its important to have confidence in your doctor. It also helped that I had some pain pills I took beforehand. It also helps NOT to look at those needles, they are rather scary-looking!

Best also, NOT to have a friend or family member present, unless they know how to behave themselves! Most want to be a part of the drama, and keep up a running commentary. Oh, look at that needle---I'm trying NOT to! Glad its you and not me, they'd have to tie me down! Oh, Oh. that needles' so long, oh, I think I'm going to faint, Oh, I can't watch---then GTH out! Honestly, some people just want to be part of the show and get their "share" of the attention

Old 02-14-2016, 04:15 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
When I had cortisone shots they just numbed the area, didn't feel a thing. OP ask your doctor to numb the area if he/she isn't planning on doing it.
The doctor did shoot lidocane into the area. It felt like I had something on my leg as I walked out of the room. Like I said, very smooth, but I had some pain already from the hip, so the needle and injection was covered by that I guess.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:40 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I guess I've just been lucky with my doctors. I've had shots in the ankle and shoulder, no big deal! And they gave tremendous relief!
Well, the person who gave me my shot was my husband. And he did it on my birthday, no less. He warned me it wouldn't be pleasant and required I come in at the end of the day when nobody else was around in case I screamed and disturb anyone. I'm not the greatest patient.

His nurse told me he was very good at giving cortisone shots based on her experience, and all I could think was "Wow, if this is good, I don't want to see bad", LOL.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Additional note:

Today is Tuesday. I awake with little pain in hip. This is day 4 and I find that I can stand up smoothly and without the "Creaking/groaning" pain that I would have when sitting longer than 1 hour. Bending over is improved (Now have to lose weight!) and basically I am feeling WAY better than I was before.

The shot and the gabapentin has helped so much and no narcotics so I don't have to worry about stumbling around in a haze....

Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I've had two in my life, one helped for a while and the other one did nothing. Had scripts for epidurals but never did them. They are bandaids and can help some for a while...but can also do a lot of joint damage from longterm use. Many with joint replacements end up with joint degeneration from longer term use...not my issue for hip job. I think it's called AVN.

Years ago I heard or read cortisone is the Best and Worst drug.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Glad to hear it is helping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness