Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 08:31 AM

119 posts, read 126,458 times

Advertisements

Another article that proves the usefulness of Nutritional Genomics. There is no healthy food or blood level of anything, there is only what is healthy for you, genetically. I found out this the hard way by people trying to tell me how to eat healthy and it was all wrong.

“Good” cholesterol can sometimes be bad, study finds | Ars Technica

Quote:
In an analysis of patients’ genetic and health data, researchers found that a specific mutation was linked to having exceptionally high levels of HDL—as much as three times the normal amount in healthy individuals. Those with the mutation surprisingly seemed to have a higher risk of heart disease, the researchers reported in Science. The finding suggests that the general rule that high levels of HDL are always good should be tossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 12:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I believe there is a lot of good info out there today and Prevention in my mind is KEY. In my parents' life and they both lived into 90's the word cholesterol was not even a word....It became a huge issue about 20 yrs ago or so...maybe 30. They did not hold back on fats...and I eat a good amount of fats. Today's modern medicine world, everyone is their numbers...I lived with numbers for 10 yrs for an issue and didn't get help for what I believed I needed...my numbers were fine per labs. But I wasn't fine, I had SYMPTOMS and not numbers.

I keep thinking of "new" discovery now saying fats are good, we went thru all this non-fat, low fat revolution and people kept getting more obese. My parents were not obese, mom would complain when she hit 140 lbs..dad had his beer belly but they were not overweight and the fats were keeping them in good weight.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-12-2016 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM

119 posts, read 126,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I believe there is a lot of good info out there today and Prevention in my mind is KEY. In my parents' life and they both lived into 90's the word cholesterol was not even a word....It became a huge issue about 20 yrs ago or so...maybe 30. They did not hold back on fats...and I eat a good amount of fats. Today's modern medicine world, everyone is their numbers...I lived with numbers for 10 yrs for an issue and didn't get help for what I believed I needed...my numbers were fine per labs. But I wasn't fine, I had SYMPTOMS and not numbers.

I keep thinking of "new" discovery now saying fats are good, we went thru all this non-fat, low fat revolution and people kept getting more obese. My parents were not obese, mom would complain when she hit 140 lbs..dad had his beer belly but they were not overweight and the fats were keeping them in good weight.
Oh ,my yes. I cannot tell you ho long i went to doctors with skin and nervous system issues that were clearly visable yet all my "numbers" were fine.

I will say however, Your parents might have grown up on a totally different kind of fat which helped them later in life. Grass fed beef had a much higher content of cholesterol neutral fatty acids, unlike modern grain fed beef.
A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and grain-fed beef

I will say I pitty all the people jumping on the high fat bandwagon thinking it will help then without knowing their genetics. They will certainly pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness