Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:54 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,094,775 times

Advertisements

OP, I was on it longer than you and was able to successfully get off it. I incorporated multiple practices over time. The beginning of my journey started with acupuncture, which helped greatly. Then, my practitioner added cupping. The night after my first accupuncture session I slept deeply for the first time in years. Cupping drew out so much of the stress I had been carrying for several years in my neck and shoulders. I started taking D vitamins (I was very low and always fatigued) as well as a B complex (helps heal nerves). Some magnesium, I used the product Calm which can be found in most health food stores. I also started practicing good sleep hygiene, no playing on the computer for a couple of hours before bed, no tv in the bedroom, etc. I gradually weaned myself off Ambien, cutting back by a quarter of a pill at a time, a few days on each step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Widely used sleeping pill 'increases dementia' risk - Health News - NHS Choices

Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo shoeshine View Post
Medical marijuana. It allows for exit from manufactured synthetic drugs that leave a trail of tears.
Learn to cook with marijuana, a nice canibus brownie an hour before bedtime will take you to the most pleasured sleep you will know.....the best part, you feel like your self in the am!
I was also going to suggest this idea. Doctors don't like the idea because they don't make money off prescriptions.

It is certainly worth a try rather than being hooked on sleeping pills for years.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 AM

671 posts, read 854,146 times
I think that the OP should call the doctor. You don't need an appointment to discuss a follow-up problem.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Since we're all unique, there is no 'one' remedy that fits all.

Many have mentioned no caffeine after a certain time during the day, which is good advice; however, don't forget that chocolate contains caffeine as well, so do soft drinks.

For me, I require 'quiet time' at least two hours before bedtime and that equates to no tv, no music, no phone calls, no stressful anything. There are 'deep sleep' CDs that do help.

It can take several days/nights to wean off any sleep aid, but it can be done. If you can take a week off work so that you don't have to worry about losing sleep for a few nights, that would help a lot.

Also, for anyone struggling to fall asleep, or stay asleep: never look at the clock, that will only increase your anxiety and stress about not getting sleep as the hours pass you by.

Sometimes we may think we're awake all night when in fact we have been sleeping - perhaps in small doses, but at least getting some shuteye.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Ambien is the devil! Makes you sleep walk, binge eat when you don't even realize you ate anything until the next day, and see the wrapper.

Heard folks who drove their car, and didn't remember anything until the next day when they saw their receipt for gas.

I would suggest weaning off slowly. good luck!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Ambien is the devil! Makes you sleep walk, binge eat when you don't even realize you ate anything until the next day, and see the wrapper.

Heard folks who drove their car, and didn't remember anything until the next day when they saw their receipt for gas.

Yea, it's actually a real problem, often called an Ambien blackout. It's just like waking up from a blackout, you wake up in the am still with your glasses and the TV on not remembering how you fell asleep.

It's nasty stuff.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:21 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post

That's why I had to stop. Get up in the morning and the kitchen would be trashed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
She's been saying the same thing for months now......

I may have major stress going on, but I can't be completely exhausted all day. What sucks is that psych doctors take forever to get an appointment in my area since there aren't many, so I'm limited on switching doctors. I just feel that this is a permanent feeling I mean, if I'm taking unisom with Ambien, I don't know how I can wean myself off....
Find a new doctor! Pretty simple! You're probably addicted to the drugs and that's why they aren't working anymore. Three years is a long time to need a sleeping aid. We all have stress in life. Most of us just suck it up and find a way to sleep without drugs.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:04 PM

696 posts, read 904,845 times
I have tried nature made brand natural sleeping pills and had good luck with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness