Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:57 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
7 years ago I could see what was happening to the smoker’s around me and knew I had to find a way to quit smoking cigarettes. I tried an e-cigarette and kicked my smoking habit on the first day. All around me I see smokers getting deathly ill and yes, dying. A few years ago I lost a childhood friend to cancer, we smoked together in middle school. Last July I lost my husband, a smoker for 50 years, to Kidney Cancer that had spread. This year finds an Uncle battling Liver Cancer that has spread. All smokers, now dead or dying. Do you see the common thread? Smoking causes death and our government allows big tobacco to keep selling their cancer sticks even though when used as directed consumers are becoming sick and dying. How many harmful products are on the open market today, are allowed to harm those who use that product?

Former smokers suffering from COPD and Asthma are reporting improvement in bothersome symptoms after switching to e-cigs and this improvement is documented by test results in their medical records!
I will second vaping. My BF was smoking 1 1/2 packs a day for 15 years...hacking and coughing...snoring at night. He starting vaping using 18 mg. nicotine. Almost immediately - after a few days - the coughing and hacking were practically nil. He did not have a single cigarette since starting vaping. Now after about 6 weeks he's starting to reduce the nicotine level. It's very easy to control the level but frankly, even if he does continue using it with nicotine, I already see the improvement as enough to be worth it. He himself is amazed at the change and how easy it was and very glad he tried it.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 PM

706 posts, read 758,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yet America is now approving marijuana as a new enterprise . Bet some of you reside in these states. Discourage cigs yet approve the mj... Seriously neither make sense.
There is absolutely no comparison between the two. I have only seen how nicotine can be helpful for Parkinson's patients. Conversely, cannabis is helpful for many diseases, including epilepsy, Alzheimer's, cancer, eating disorders, ADHD, and several others. Alcohol--which is perfectly legal and used by a large majority--has hardly any medicinal qualities when compared to cannabis.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I live in CA and we may have walk in MJ shops soon. I would walk in and buy gummies or oils or some foods maybe, but I would NOT smoke any MJ. I deal with bodywide OA pain and don't need other health issues to hit me...one big one is plenty.
Smoking or vaping cannabis has *not* been shown to be harmful, in case you're worried about that. It's actually anti-inflammatory and *may* be helpful for those with inflammatory lung issues. However, ingesting cannabis via gummies, baked goods, or tinctures is probably best for most patients. It's just harder to dose yourself with edibles because your threshold is met in different ways. In other words, it takes longer to feel the effects of edibles, so you can easily get more than you want than if you're smoking and feeling the effects quickly. Thankfully, an "overdose" of cannabis just means you'll go to bed earlier than anticipated. Juicing cannabis is another way to get the medicine, and it seems to work quite well for some people.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:30 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I don't actually think it's beneficial to the OP to have people telling him it's a lost cause. His wife is quite young, and it's doubtful that she has cancer or anything. If she isn't going to quit then I would encourage him to get her to switch to organic RYO tobacco, though, since I feel that makes a difference. Back in the day, people were known to use (real) tobacco up until the day they died from old age. My ex-husband's granny used snuff all her life and would even ask to have it smuggled to her in the nursing home. She died of old age. I once had a neighbor when I was a kid who was almost 100. He chain smoked and drank Coke like it was going out of style. He died of old age. My former best friend had an aunt who was a nun--never smoked or anything like that. She died of lung cancer. Obviously, we are all going to die some day in whatever way that takes us.

The point is that modern tobacco products are filled with crap, and that crap is what's harming people. The only reason my pouch of tobacco says "no additives doesn't mean a safer cigarette" is because they must do that legally. That doesn't mean it's true. People have been using tobacco for centuries; it really only became a serious "health problem" after the manufacturers started adding in tons of chemicals and fillers.

And yes, prevention is the best course of action when it comes to anything that will harm you in excess--and that includes all sorts of food products like sugar and artificial sweeteners. I'm personally more worried about people's eating habits than I am about their smoking habits since hardly anyone even bothers to read the labels on their food purchases and they have no idea that some of those ingredients can harm them in the long run. Maybe some day the manufacturers will have to post warnings on the package like they do with tobacco. Until then, people will likely continue to scarf down the MSG, synthetic dyes and flavors, artificial sweeteners, white processed sugar, HFCS, "vegetable" oils, and other harmful ingredients. And they will continue to become obese, get diabetic, and have heart problems and neurological issues because of their food choices.
Organic tobacco is no safer. That is magical thinking. Your tobacco says the cigarettes you make from it are no safer because they are no safer.

Not every smoker will get lung cancer, but most lung cancer victims are smokers, and lung cancer is not the only smoking related illness. There are other cancers, COPD, and heart disease to consider, for example.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graneenja View Post
Wife and I have been married for 3 years, I am 30 and she is 29. When we met we were both smokers but I quit after a process that was not easy. I encouraged my then gf to quit and she of course said she would but never did. She told me she has been a smoker since she was 15 and her mother who is also a smoker would buy her packs. The thing is lately, probably the past 4 months she has really been hacking and coughing a lot, in the middle of the night, when she wakes up and even at work. She will even spit up mucus and phlegm. We have a one year old daughter as well that I am worried about. She smokes about 1-2 packs a day and I am really concerned. Being a former smoker myself I do realize how very difficult it can be to quit but at this rate I am worried she won't live to see our daughter graduate High School or at least college.

I try to be understanding about and don't want to be hypocritical but I am concerned with her long term health. I have tried talking to her about it but she says she will quit when she's ready. Admittedly I have said the same but I did manage to quit.
Try having her go to hypnosis...If she refuses, say "Well, then I want to increase your life insurance so I have plenty of cash to get someone to replace you"

Oh and KUDOS to you quitting so early, I quit 3 years ago at age 53...

Old 07-03-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Organic tobacco is no safer. That is magical thinking. Your tobacco says the cigarettes you make from it are no safer because they are no safer.
It's "magical thinking" to think that pesticides are better than organic tobacco. It's "wishful thinking" to think that smoking pre-rolled cigs with hundreds of chemicals added isn't worse than straight tobacco. Our ancestors have smoked the tobacco plant for millennia. To think that the current ways of producing tobacco products aren't harmful is "magical thinking".

Quote:
Not every smoker will get lung cancer, but most lung cancer victims are smokers, and lung cancer is not the only smoking related illness. There are other cancers, COPD, and heart disease to consider, for example.
Yes, this is true. I do NOT advocate smoking. I DO advocate switching to a safer tobacco if you do not want to quit smoking. It *is* safer to roll your own with organic tobacco than it is to smoke pre-rolled cigs--regardless of what some internet article tells you.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Try having her go to hypnosis...If she refuses, say "Well, then I want to increase your life insurance so I have plenty of cash to get someone to replace you"
Wow, that's supportive...

Old 07-03-2016, 10:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
It's "magical thinking" to think that pesticides are better than organic tobacco. It's "wishful thinking" to think that smoking pre-rolled cigs with hundreds of chemicals added isn't worse than straight tobacco. Our ancestors have smoked the tobacco plant for millennia. To think that the current ways of producing tobacco products aren't harmful is "magical thinking".

Yes, this is true. I do NOT advocate smoking. I DO advocate switching to a safer tobacco if you do not want to quit smoking. It *is* safer to roll your own with organic tobacco than it is to smoke pre-rolled cigs--regardless of what some internet article tells you.
Please provide a source indicating organic tobacco is safer.

Nicotine is a pesticide.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:23 PM

Pharmacological and Chemical Effects of Cigarette Additives

Pharmacological and Chemical Effects of Cigarette Additives

Old 07-03-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Please provide a source indicating organic tobacco is safer.

Nicotine is a pesticide.
Just because nicotine is a pesticide, doesn't make it the sole harm in tobacco products. Do you dispute that older people didn't die from tobacco use and that people of our generation *are* dying from it? I can site all sorts of evidence that synthetic pesticides are harmful. I would imagine that you're smart enough to figure that out on your own, though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness