Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:32 PM

706 posts, read 757,651 times

Advertisements

Although this lady seems to be smoking a "normal" cigarette in this picture, she no doubt smoked authentic tobacco most of her life...

Old 07-03-2016, 10:35 PM

Again, I am NOT advocating that people should start using tobacco. There are some cases where it is beneficial, but most of the time it's not. If you must use tobacco, then at least use the type that isn't adulterated by man.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:12 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You cannot talk someone in to quitting. They quit when they want to, as she said. I quit. But I quit when I was ready, not when someone else told me I should or needed to for the thousand reasons why people say you should or need to. It wasn't about anyone else, it was about me.

I used a disposable e-cig by Blu to help me through the cravings. You only take a single puff, it just gets you through the worst of it. I still think about cigarettes every so often. I have been able to be around other people who smoke and not want a cigarette, something I never thought would happen. I only bought one disposable e-cig for $10. It said it gave 400 puffs...equal to 2 packs of smokes, it said. I never finished it.

Maybe she could get a disposable e-cig, don't take her cigs away, just get one WITH her smokes, let her pick it up on her own time and try it out. It may work. Everyone has their own way that works. Despite what some "experts" believe, there is no one right way to quit. However, there will never be success if someone isn't actually ready to do it. Getting on her about it will only make her want to smoke more. Think back to when you were a smoker...remember your thoughts and attitudes. You know what it is, you know how hard it is to break it, you know how you felt when someone put in their two cents. Don't be that guy.
I agree, I've known several long time smokers who have quit by switching to e-cigs. One of them never did completely quit e-cigs but she doesn't use nicotine based liquid, her doctor told her not to worry about getting off of them that they were about 10,000 times safer than cigarettes

Old 07-03-2016, 11:29 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Just because nicotine is a pesticide, doesn't make it the sole harm in tobacco products. Do you dispute that older people didn't die from tobacco use and that people of our generation *are* dying from it? I can site all sorts of evidence that synthetic pesticides are harmful. I would imagine that you're smart enough to figure that out on your own, though....
I think people have always died from smoking cigarettes but I'm not sure that their deaths were diagnosed as being from smoking.

And there is no "safe tobacco", if you have a nicotine addiction stick to e-cigs, patches or nicotine gum. It's the combustion of tobacco, even organic tobacco, that makes it deadly

Warning: Homegrown Tobacco Still Deadly

Old 07-03-2016, 11:35 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Just because nicotine is a pesticide, doesn't make it the sole harm in tobacco products. Do you dispute that older people didn't die from tobacco use and that people of our generation *are* dying from it? I can site all sorts of evidence that synthetic pesticides are harmful. I would imagine that you're smart enough to figure that out on your own, though....
You still have not provided a source that states organic tobacco is safer. Considering the average life expectancy of most of our ancestors, they did not live long enough to get lung cancer.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think people have always died from smoking cigarettes but I'm not sure that their deaths were diagnosed as being from smoking.

And there is no "safe tobacco", if you have a nicotine addiction stick to e-cigs, patches or nicotine gum. It's the combustion of tobacco, even organic tobacco, that makes it deadly

Warning: Homegrown Tobacco Still Deadly
Again, people did *not* usually die from tobacco "back in the day". They died from old age or accidents out on the farm. People have smoked it for a very long time without succumbing to cancer.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
My late wife and I were identical to the Op other then being in our early 30's. We both smoked and being a small business owner working at my desk caught myself putting out one cig and reaching for another WTF was I doing.

That is when I decided to quit. Placed a pack on the bedroom dresser in sight and made it last for a whole month. Would hold it in my lips until it got soggy before I lit it up.

Bought a carton of Lifesavers and would put 2-3 rolls in my pocket to chew on when the urge to smoke came around.

Tried to get the wife to also stop but she never did.

At age 43 she was diagnosed with Cancer and a Surgery showed 8 tumors that took her life in 5 months.

This happened 43 yrs ago this coming Oct while I will be 85 in Aug.......quitting on my part was a good move.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You still have not provided a source that states organic tobacco is safer.
I don't need a source that specifically says it's safer. I have plenty of research that says synthetic pesticides are harmful, and that many of the chemicals added to cigarettes are harmful. Common sense dictates that eliminating those factors is going to make for a safer tobacco.

Quote:
Considering the average life expectancy of most of our ancestors, they did not live long enough to get lung cancer.
Maybe you didn't see that picture I just posted...

Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 PM

Look, people. Pick the lesser of two evils if you're going to smoke. Take every single nasty chemical the manufacturers want you to take, or smoke plain tobacco. I don't encourage either one, but I do favor the latter over the former if you choose to use tobacco. If you can quit, please do. If you have the opportunity to try smoking, just say no. It's simple, really.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, I've known several long time smokers who have quit by switching to e-cigs. One of them never did completely quit e-cigs but she doesn't use nicotine based liquid, her doctor told her not to worry about getting off of them that they were about 10,000 times safer than cigarettes
Don't people use the "patch" anymore? I would think it might actually be safer than e-cigs since there are problems with those, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness