Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

What they do for diabetics is to schedule you to be first so you can eat again more or less on schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:32 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
I have my first colonoscopy and so nervous about the prep. I have heard horror stories LOL about having to drink that gallon of PEG-3350.. heard it taste like sea water.. I have horrible gag reflexes and also diabetic so worried about the 24 hour of not eating something besides jello..
I read someone added half vitamin water and half regular water to the jug mix..Others said to add a packet of crystal light.. so any advice to get through prep day?
I found water easier to drink the stuff with. Those flavors were worse to me than the taste of the prep. I have had this two or three times. My father died of colon cancer at age 58 so they started me early on. The process has really improved through the years. Time before last I did not get clear and the doctor had a hard time with the view so this time I stopped eating the offending foods twice as long as the instructions suggested and the doctor said I was really cleaned out.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Cologuard is an alternative testing. Less invasive and is 97% accurate. Standard in this day and age. My ex is a survivor of colon cancer.. Every two years he is tested. They opt for this new test so as not to excerebate his previous surgical scars.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Cologuard is an alternative testing. Less invasive and is 97% accurate. Standard in this day and age. My ex is a survivor of colon cancer.. Every two years he is tested. They opt for this new test so as not to excerebate his previous surgical scars.
the only problem with this is: finding a doctor that will agree to use a substitute. My guess is, in about 10 years all will be willing to use new methods, but right now, my doctor nor my husbands doctor would agree to Cologuard. Believe me, I tried.

OP; I just had mine about 3 weeks ago. They actually did a 2 day cleaning on me, I hated it, but I didn't choke and I didn't finish my last bottle of crap. No, it isn't as bad as it used to: no, it isn't a breeze either, but don't let it freak you out. It is worth it just to be sure all is well. Mine came out fine. I have had 4 of them. I will add, at my age, I am having no more.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:44 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
I was "concerned" with all of what I read leading up to my first colonoscopy. It was such a waste of brain time, as in hindsight I didn't think it was all that difficult.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I was "concerned" with all of what I read leading up to my first colonoscopy. It was such a waste of brain time, as in hindsight I didn't think it was all that difficult.
you really are right: but it is still the worst part of the procedure, though it is getting a little easier. I think a lot has to do with exactly what prep your doctor prescribes and how strict they are about the day before diet I have known people who only had to stay away from red meat and all heavy food to those who were put on a strict liquid diet 24 hours prior up to 2 days prior. Of course the good thing is: we normally do not really remember how bad something was after it is over. If that wasn't the case mommies would have more than 1 kid.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:50 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
I've got one coming up at the end of the month. 24 hour liquid diet and my prep is to drink one bottle of the crap at 9pm and then I have to get up at 3 am to drink the second bottle. That's probably the most restrictive/creative prep I've ever had to do. This will be my third or fourth colonoscopy and I probably get to look forward to a few more.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM

329 posts, read 470,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What they do for diabetics is to schedule you to be first so you can eat again more or less on schedule.
Yes, they gave me a 7.30 am appointment for tomorrow...
Today is prep day and have my jug in the fridge.. LOL

Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 PM

329 posts, read 470,434 times
Yes. It's done. Totally normal and said I am good for 10 years. Hope by then they find a better way to do prep. Lol.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Prep is hell. No way around it. They had me mix the antifreeze with yellow gateraide so at least I did not get a depleted. They sad start at 5:30 p.m., I started at 6:30 because I was not going to take it at work. Ooops. Ended up awake until 2 a.m. That extra hour of sleep would have been marvelous.

They said I cold drink chicken broth. That helped with hunger, but it probably provided no nutrition since it came right back out. They also said I could suck on those hard butterscotch candies. That helped a lot.

On the plus side, the thing they give you to put you to sleep, leaves you feeling amazingly refreshed wen you wake up. I have not slept that well in decades. I wanted more. I understand why Michael Jackson became addicted to that stuff. If I could sleep like that regularly, my life would improve dramatically. Too bad it is addictive/deadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness