Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd update. My vision in the eye that had surgery is amazingly clear.

I'm still shell shocked over the experience. I have a post op appt tomorrow morning with the surgeon.

I've imagined people asking me about my surgery and if I'd do it again. I was thinking that there are two separate issues there. One - I'm thrilled with my better vision. But, two, the surgery was horribly traumatic. So, how does one answer that? It would be like asking someone who had their leg set without anesthesia. Sure, they're glad their leg was set, but could they recommend the procedure?

And would I be glad to have my other eye see better when it's time? Yes. But, would I be deathly afraid of the surgery? YES!

And, I'm on Medi-cal, which is Medi-caid, with no co-pay. And I've had the attitude from others that I shouldn't complain because I'm a poor person who got her eye fixed for free. But, does that mean poor people should endure surgery without anesthesia?

I have a friend who joked with me over the weekend, telling me a joke about how "the surgery was a success - but the patient died," LOL. That's kind of how I feel. Yes, I can see better, but boy oh boy did I pay for it!

But, for those talking about taking eye drops or some other miracle cure instead of getting the surgery - be real. You can't remove and replace a bad lens with eye drops. My vision in that eye is so clear now that I can see every leaf on the tree across the street outside my window. I can see every single hair on my dog. I've literally NEVER seen that well out of that eye before. There's no way some juju juice eye drops can give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Somebody named "jam" just left me a message saying not to knock "antioxidants" as they have kept him/her from surgery.

Sorry, but vitamins aren't going to fix cataracts.

And don't be a wimp. Leave your comments to the public to discuss.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:03 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I'm still shell shocked over the experience. I have a post op appt tomorrow morning with the surgeon.

I've imagined people asking me about my surgery and if I'd do it again. I was thinking that there are two separate issues there. One - I'm thrilled with my better vision. But, two, the surgery was horribly traumatic. So, how does one answer that? It would be like asking someone who had their leg set without anesthesia. Sure, they're glad their leg was set, but could they recommend the procedure?

And would I be glad to have my other eye see better when it's time? Yes. But, would I be deathly afraid of the surgery? YES!

And, I'm on Medi-cal, which is Medi-caid, with no co-pay. And I've had the attitude from others that I shouldn't complain because I'm a poor person who got her eye fixed for free. But, does that mean poor people should endure surgery without anesthesia?

I have a friend who joked with me over the weekend, telling me a joke about how "the surgery was a success - but the patient died," LOL. That's kind of how I feel. Yes, I can see better, but boy oh boy did I pay for it!

But, for those talking about taking eye drops or some other miracle cure instead of getting the surgery - be real. You can't remove and replace a bad lens with eye drops. My vision in that eye is so clear now that I can see every leaf on the tree across the street outside my window. I can see every single hair on my dog. I've literally NEVER seen that well out of that eye before. There's no way some juju juice eye drops can give you that.
Wow, so sorry you had the pain during the cataract surgery-I can imagine how it'd make you afraid of doing it on the other eye, but the outcome of the clear eyesight is amazing, isn't it?

IIRC your surgeon is aware of the pain you felt during that surgery, when the time comes for the cataract surgery in your other eye couldn't you discuss with him options to keep you from feeling the pain over again in the other eye? Either a little more of the IV sedation, enough to keep you out longer, some oral sedation beforehand, or an injection of whatever it is they use for numbing up the inside of your eye for surgery?

When I had cataract surgery on my right eye, I had IV sedation but woke up enough to be aware of something happening with my eye and I felt some pain as I think they must have been putting in the IOL. I wasn't entirely conscious, so while I tried to tell them it hurt I'm sure I didn't say anything that made much sense. I held my breath a couple times as I felt the pain and recall someone telling me not to do that as it raised the intraocular pressure. Then I felt nothing else, and it was over. And like you the vision has been crystal clear in that eye, going on three years post surgery now.

When it was time for the surgery on the other eye, I told them about the pain during surgery on the first eye, and I asked them if they could just let me have enough stuff to stay asleep during the entire surgery. They also mentioned the possibility of an intraocular injection of ???lidocaine (not sure what it was), that would numb up the inside of the eye, given after the patient goes to sleep, but there was no evidence they did that, thankfully. I don't know what they did, but I was aware of nothing until the surgery was finished on that second eye. Maybe your experience would be the same if you remind them of your experience with your first surgery, and ask them about the options to prevent it on your other eye.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
NMSFM, I'm so glad your vision is so good and that you are happy with being able to see with such clarity. Once again, I am so sorry that your surgical experience was so horrid for you. I pray that your second surgery goes as smoothly as mine and your results are as wonderful as the first eye.

Having had 3 eye surgeries and being technically deaf, I need my vision. I just made appts for 3 more eye surgeries, (a cloud on one lens and eyelid surgery on both eyes) and still face the possibility of losing my vision in one eye due to a "mole" on the retina. Horrible or no, I have no choice but to face these surgeries and pray I do not need the retinal surgery. And it's happening with a new surgeon.

Again, I'm so sorry your experience was unlike what most of us described but i'm thrilled with your outcome.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
In your case did they use the laser cutter or the ultra sound cutter,could make a difference also be sure to let your eye surgeon know of your initial experience as he may be able to change his technique to accommodate you.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:57 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Sure does sound horrible. I'll continue to work with all the alternatives I use to keep from going for this surgery. I just got my LifeExtension Bright Eye III product and started the drops today. Plus I use other drops and keep the magnesium going.

As I've said surgery is surgery and so many talk about "what a breeze"...wonder how many have issues similar to yours NoMoreSnow.
I think you're too concerned about cataract surgery, jamin. Cataract surgery is the most successful surgery performed in America. The majority of patients are very satisfied and many of them see better than they did before they even developed cataracts! I'm so sorry that you had a terrible experience, nomoresnow, but your difficulties are rare indeed. I have worked for ophthalmologists and assisted in cataract surgery fir years and have never seen any problems with the anesthetic block being ineffective. I wonder if it might have something to do with your medications

jamin, if you wish to continue drops, go for it. I hope it helps you. However, the ophthalmologist I worked for used to joke with his patients. "There's only one way to prevent cataracts; die prematurely. Most patients don't like that option." It's possible that protecting your eyes with sunglasses may help delay their development, but there is no scientific evidence that ocular vitamins or drops prevent cataract formation.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
IIRC your surgeon is aware of the pain you felt during that surgery, when the time comes for the cataract surgery in your other eye couldn't you discuss with him options to keep you from feeling the pain over again in the other eye? ... I don't know what they did, but I was aware of nothing until the surgery was finished on that second eye. Maybe your experience would be the same if you remind them of your experience with your first surgery, and ask them about the options to prevent it on your other eye.
^This. Surgeons and anesthesiologists (at least the ones who aren't sociopaths) don't want their patients being uncomfortable if it's avoidable. When I've had surgeries or invasive procedures, the doctors have always been very good about discussing alternatives and options, and making me part of the decision. It's my body and I expect to be part of the decision making.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
NMSFM, I'm so glad your vision is so good and that you are happy with being able to see with such clarity. Once again, I am so sorry that your surgical experience was so horrid for you. I pray that your second surgery goes as smoothly as mine and your results are as wonderful as the first eye.

Having had 3 eye surgeries and being technically deaf, I need my vision. I just made appts for 3 more eye surgeries, (a cloud on one lens and eyelid surgery on both eyes) and still face the possibility of losing my vision in one eye due to a "mole" on the retina. Horrible or no, I have no choice but to face these surgeries and pray I do not need the retinal surgery. And it's happening with a new surgeon.

Again, I'm so sorry your experience was unlike what most of us described but i'm thrilled with your outcome.

Will they remove that mole on your retina, and biopsy it to make sure it is benign? Or lazer it to get rid of it? I'm no expert in anything related to the eye, but it's hard for me to imagine they would leave it, especially with the chance it coukd affect your vision.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Will they remove that mole on your retina, and biopsy it to make sure it is benign? Or lazer it to get rid of it? I'm no expert in anything related to the eye, but it's hard for me to imagine they would leave it, especially with the chance it coukd affect your vision.
Ok, looked it up and answered my own questions, at least as to how nevi ( moles) are treated generally. Sounds like the word is to watch and observe the nevi over time for any changes. As they say most often the nevi causes no problems they don't recommend surgery automatically, there would be risk of injuring the retina if surgery is done-again the risk vs. benefits balance as in all medical procedures.

What Is a Nevus? - American Academy of Ophthalmology

Old 09-06-2016, 11:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

With me I had twilight sleep, and the first eye went perfect. They lucked out and I reacted to the drug just right, but I react very unpredictably. I don't remember if I told them that. The second one they nicked the cornea, and I remember being awake and sort of floating, and it was as if I was out of body. But it wasn't panicy. The other thing I said was I panic when 'trapped', so they used more than normal. The nick happened because the drug which paralized the eye ran out too soon. That's also something I experience. The pill either doesn't work at all, since my body bypassed it, or it hits with a special whomp for a normal dose since my absorbing parts are very messed up/missing. I think if I'd told them everything the eye would look normal since they could have compensated.

I take it as a lesson for future situations. Should I need some kind of really invasive surgery, those kind of things also need to be known. This is all a result of the first, at the end of my teens, and the second was an emergency.

Over time my vision has slipped a slight bit, but I remember having four pairs of glasses even with contacts since the contacts themselves didn't quite to it. I'll certainly make the trade given I can wear online store reading glasses and see my screen fine, and distance is better than it ever was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness