Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:22 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Some of you self-administered drops before surgery. Some after. Some not at all.

I get antsy even when a highly-skilled medical professional tries to administer drops. Can't see doing it myself and there are no nearby relatives or friends, other than a 90+-year-old widow in the farmhouse across the road.

Then the other issue is driving home. If he operates on the "good" eye -- which is what I expect -- it will be a challenge driving with the "bad" eye. And then while the eye heals, trying to read the codes on produce at the food store is going to be a trip. Probably need to take a magnifying glass to the store.

Thing is that I really need that surgery. Ophthalmologist has been on my case big time.

Bummer
My procedure had a nurse administer 10 drops in the eye over a period of 35 minutes,then it was off to the operating room where they put in a very strong freeze solution,the eye was effectively frozen, then got wrapped up in a special gown whereby only my eye was visible to the surgeon, then an extremely bright light was focused on my eye so i couldnt see anything then he did the procedure in 5 minutes and that was it,felt nothing and saw nothing.
I'm sure they will insist on some one else accompanying you to do the driving home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
Quote:
Some of you self-administered drops before surgery. Some after. Some not at all.

I get antsy even when a highly-skilled medical professional tries to administer drops. Can't see doing it myself and there are no nearby relatives or friends, other than a 90+-year-old widow in the farmhouse across the road.

Then the other issue is driving home. If he operates on the "good" eye -- which is what I expect -- it will be a challenge driving with the "bad" eye. And then while the eye heals, trying to read the codes on produce at the food store is going to be a trip. Probably need to take a magnifying glass to the store.

Thing is that I really need that surgery. Ophthalmologist has been on my case big time.

Bummer
Seriously? I suggest that you "man up" (or woman up) and learn to put in eyedrops. I was given 3 different eyedrops to start the day before surgery, and to continue for weeks afterwards.

They operated on my bad eye first, and for the four weeks between surgeries I had 20/20 in that eye and about 20/600 in the other, so I could drive if necessary, but it was disorienting and messed with my depth perception.

They will most likely insist that you have an adult to drive you home after the surgery.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Seriously? I suggest that you "man up" (or woman up) and learn to put in eyedrops. I was given 3 different eyedrops to start the day before surgery, and to continue for weeks afterwards.

They operated on my bad eye first, and for the four weeks between surgeries I had 20/20 in that eye and about 20/600 in the other, so I could drive if necessary, but it was disorienting and messed with my depth perception.

They will most likely insist that you have an adult to drive you home after the surgery.

Some people fear the dentist, some pro football players fear needles, I don't like someone putting drops in my eyes, and with my clumsy hands, the drops will be off-target. If the doc requires a regimen like you had, the only option will be to hire a home caregiver to perform the procedures.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:38 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was told about 20 yrs "cataracts were forming", eyes were cloudy I was told. Ummm.

Grape seed extract, homeopathic eye drops and Crystalline https://www.pureformulas.com/crystal...hthalmics.html eye drops are saving my eyes...I'm fine at going on 80.

Any day I can avoid ANY kind of surgery I do.

Agree with your sentiments re surgery but at 73 and with have never taken the supplements to which you allude, it's to late to stave off cataracts via that route.

By the way, a lifetime of table grapes hasn't kept the cataracts from forming.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Yes, you will need to hire a caregiver to put the eye drops in - check with your doctor's office. I had to do drops 3 times a day, different drops and you need to keep it straight. I also had to return to MDs office the day after surgery. Because of the difference in eyesight, I could not drive for 1 week until the 2nd eye was done. I was able to drive the day after the 2nd eye. I suggest strongly that you do all the shopping for the week in between your surgeries so that you will not need to go out. It means doing some extra planning and using the freezer.

Good luck with you. Having those surgeries was one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:27 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Agree with your sentiments re surgery but at 73 and with have never taken the supplements to which you allude, it's to late to stave off cataracts via that route.

Table grapes don't have the SEEDS anymore, do they? I don't eat lbs of table grapes anyway..I eat some grapes now and then, but they are high in sugar for my thoughts on fruits and sugar.

GrapeSEED Extract is made from the bitter seeds from the grapes that are no longer found in the markets...and who sits around eating seeds thinking they are doing good for their health.

Look at the Crystalline I mentioned, it's inexpensive prevention..lots of customer reviews too where I buy it...others finding it effective. I've used Simalasan eye drops for dry eyes for years too.

Learning from others is a great way to go, nothing like it and I get that from some friends but do a LOT on my own for my healing. And yes I work to avoid any surgery. I'm just so happy I have clear vision at going on 80...something tells me it will stay that way as I get older, and older I will get.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:40 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post

Tip from a former contact lenses wearer. There is a method to it. Take the opposite hand from the lense/drops, using your index finder pull up on your upper eyelid. Using your thumb pull down on your lower eye keeping you eye very wide open. Insert lense/drops in. You won't be able to blink with your fingers holding your eye open.

Just a suggestion.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:44 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Tip from a former contact lenses wearer. There is a method to it. Take the opposite hand from the lense/drops, using your index finder pull up on your upper eyelid. Using your thumb pull down on your lower eye keeping you eye very wide open. Insert lense/drops in. You won't be able to blink with your fingers holding your eye open.

Just a suggestion.
I'm not the one who can't put in their own eyedrops.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:51 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:

He has cataracts. They still have to be monitored since there will come a point in time that the vision is too poor to put it off surgery or the risk is too great for removal.

Also, if you can't keep still or follow directions, they can't operate. It could be dementia or could be Parkinson's.

The surgeon said they operate on patients in their 90's. It all depends on the individual. She is no longer a suitable candidate for an operation.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:52 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Just a suggestion.
Jo, you say "former contact lens wearer"...wonder why no longer.

A friend who has worn contact lens for as long as I've known her, 40 yrs at least, and probably long before I met her, has already had both cataracts removed and just told me a couple weeks ago she is beginning macular degeneration. I tried the lens for a very brief time when they came out in the 60's and no dice, so I never tried again. Glad I didn't. I like my eye glass frames...I bought so many over the years and had fun with all the colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness