Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd give an update on my cataract surgery on Sept 1st.

As I mentioned, the procedure was upsetting and didn't go well. But, the outcome was amazing, as far as my improved vision. I had my final post-op appointment today, and my "new" eye tests at 20/15 vision.

In case you don't know what that means, and I actually had to ask today because I never knew what the numbers meant - 20/20 or whatever. It means that at 20 feet from something, I can see what a normal person can see at 15 feet. 20/20 would mean that I can see at 20 feet, what a normal person can see at 20 feet. So, at 20/15 I have extraordinary vision in the eye that had cataract surgery.

I can now wake up in the middle of the night and read the clock across the room. I have never been able to do that - from birth.

So, even though my surgery didn't go well and was very upsetting, as far as my nerve block not working, etc., which make no mistake was a horrible experience - the bottom line is, when my insurance company says I can have my other eye done - yes, I would have the surgery, and even by the same surgeon. I would make sure he knows to do what it takes to be sure my optic is blocked next time, but yes, I would do it again.

I never thought I'd say that, after how upset I was. But, make no mistake, the outcome is nothing short of a miracle, really. I've had terrible vision from birth. I can now see every blade of grass on the ground when I'm out walking my dog (out of the good eye that had surgery).

So, my advice is to do it, if you get the chance and can afford it. And, in my case, since my prescription has changed significantly, my insurance will cover a new pair of glasses even though it is sooner than they normally would approve a new pair of glasses. So, you should also be covered for a new pair of glasses.

My "new" eye can't adjust to focus close-up, so I'll still need reading glasses. I don't like having to put reading glasses on and off, so I chose to wear glasses all the time, with bi-focals, even though the lens for my "new" eye for distance, will not have any prescription. Just the bottom part of the bi-focal on that eye will have a prescription.

So.....really, if you have the opportunity, do it, is my advice. The difference is amazing. You just could never get this kind of result from any home remedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I'm so glad your outcome was so positive and that you will have the other eye done when needed.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:22 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
That's great news! Your suffering was worth it and now you can look forward to the second surgery going better and having great vision in both eyes.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:05 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Friday, Sept 30, i had cataract surgery (Monofocal IOL lens replacement) in my left eye. Surgery was done at Eugene, OR, CBOC, a new VA Clinic.

There was no pain or discomfort. The staff & surgical team treated me with the most utmost respect, skill, & friendliness. It made my Day. IMHO, a surgery couldn't have been any better of an experience. I was somewhat awake throughout the surgery. I was given what some call, a twilight anesthesia.

October 2, my Lady Ophthalmologist doc did some tests on me, (eye pressure,eye test, etc). She said my vision is now 20x30. She expects it to get to 20x20. When i first saw her my vision was 20x200, so blurred by cataracts, i couldn't see much of anything.

The Technology today & the skills of some of the doctors/surgeons is truly amazing & a wondrous thing to behold. It's Awesome to be able to see again , like i did when i was a teen...... my left eye doesn't need glasses now...

Last edited by Hawk J; 10-10-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I'm having mine done in January. I saw the doctor two weeks, ago and he noted it in my file. The surgeyr scheduler called e yesterday, and said that she can only schedule a month in advance, so I'll be calling her on December 1 for an appointment for the first eye.

The medical student that was working under the doctor said that there's no way I would ever pass a vision test right now. But the doctor told me last year, that he could get my vision down to 20/40 without bifocals, which will be nice.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:08 PM

I'm waiting for my new eye glasses. I can't wait. My surgery was on Sept 1st, then I was told to wear my old prescription eye glasses for about 6 weeks, waiting for my eye to heal, to protect it. Plus, the surgeon said the prescription would just change again after my eye healed completely. Then, when I did get my final prescription, I will have a prism in the lens of my new eye, and those take longer to get. I'll probably have my final new eyeglasses by November 1st. So, even though my far vision is amazing in my "new" eye, I haven't had a correct reading lens for that eye all this time. It's tiring to try to function all day for two months with incorrect eye glasses. Just wanted to give a heads-up to expect to not be able to see correctly for at least a month after surgery, and maybe longer. I can still function, but it's tiring. Can't wait to get my new correct glasses.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:22 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm waiting for my new eye glasses. I can't wait. My surgery was on Sept 1st, then I was told to wear my old prescription eye glasses for about 6 weeks, waiting for my eye to heal, to protect it. Plus, the surgeon said the prescription would just change again after my eye healed completely. Then, when I did get my final prescription, I will have a prism in the lens of my new eye, and those take longer to get. I'll probably have my final new eyeglasses by November 1st. So, even though my far vision is amazing in my "new" eye, I haven't had a correct reading lens for that eye all this time. It's tiring to try to function all day for two months with incorrect eye glasses. Just wanted to give a heads-up to expect to not be able to see correctly for at least a month after surgery, and maybe longer. I can still function, but it's tiring. Can't wait to get my new correct glasses.
I know what you mean as I went through that phase too. That was horrible and awkward. Now I've finally gotten my new glasses but they don't work. They are progressives and I've worn progressives for 20 years but I can't see right out of these.

So he says he thinks he knows what's wrong. I'm in the waiting stage now for new lenses for the glasses. I also go back to the surgeon next week for a yag--that's a laser thingy to correct a film that can grow over the lens after the surgery. I don't know what to expect with that.

One thing--the optician did say that my vision (even though it seems bad to me) is so much better than ever before in my life that it can be hard to make the adjustment--or something like that. And I'm thinking maybe that's why one eye came out so poorly and not very well corrected. I think if you had really horrible practically blind as a bat vision beforehand, maybe you shouldn't expect perfect vision after cataract surgery. Just expect things to be brighter and your vision to be better than it was and that's all--besides not going blind from cataracts.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I have no experience with a film over the lens after surgery, but I do have experience with corneal laser surgery. Because of a condition called map-dot-fingerprint dystrophy, I needed to have layers of the cornea "burned" off. This laser surgery took far longer than the cataract surgery and I could actually smell burning. I felt no pain just a tremendous amount of fear - mostly that I would move my eye during the procedure. I will need to have this done again, but not just yet.

The eye surgeon I had for this procedure was the same one who later did my cataracts.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I know what you mean as I went through that phase too. That was horrible and awkward. Now I've finally gotten my new glasses but they don't work. They are progressives and I've worn progressives for 20 years but I can't see right out of these.

So he says he thinks he knows what's wrong. I'm in the waiting stage now for new lenses for the glasses. I also go back to the surgeon next week for a yag--that's a laser thingy to correct a film that can grow over the lens after the surgery. I don't know what to expect with that.

One thing--the optician did say that my vision (even though it seems bad to me) is so much better than ever before in my life that it can be hard to make the adjustment--or something like that. And I'm thinking maybe that's why one eye came out so poorly and not very well corrected. I think if you had really horrible practically blind as a bat vision beforehand, maybe you shouldn't expect perfect vision after cataract surgery. Just expect things to be brighter and your vision to be better than it was and that's all--besides not going blind from cataracts.
Regarding the YAG procedure, it really is painless and very quick. It's set up just like they do when they're looking in your eye, and you see a series of red dots and hear little high pitched "clicks" (but you don't feel anything) as they shoot the lazer at your eye. It takes maybe 2-3 minutes, and that is it. They use strong eyedrops to dilate your pupil for the procedure, so your vision will be fuzzy till those wear off, my eye was dilated a full 24 hours after the procedure and my vision hazy till it was back to normal. But after that, my vision was clear again. They also say it's normal to see some floaters in your eye after a YAG procedure, but those go away in a week or so.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Thanks for sharing this. I'm thinking the same thing, and I keep reminding myself that what I have is much better than before. But, it's not perfect. One thing that happens with my "new" eye, is when I try to focus on something up close, I can see a little jiggle on the side where the incision was. It's like the eye moves in short jerks, instead of a fluid motion from left to right. The surgeon isn't sure what that's about. I'm waiting to see if my new glasses will improve that.

I got a call that my new glasses are in - yay! I'l go get them tomorrow and we'll see. They did say that learning to deal with the prism in the reading lens for my "new" eye may take some time to get used to, and if I can't get used to it, I can try something else. I'm crossing my fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness