Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 11:01 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times

Advertisements

I've had back issues for a long time (recurring herniated discs). I'm 39 and still fairly active lifting weights, cycling and hiking. But I feel like I need to start doing some decompression every day. I have looked at inversion boards and a few other options and these traction devices seem interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B0016L7DH0

Curious if anyone has experience with different devices and which ones actually help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Some back issues can't handle these devices. I would find a chiro first and do some decompression work if they have this equipment in their offices. Talk to an "in the know" provider about equipment for your back issues. We CAN hurt ourselves more.

I've done all kinds of work all my life, and I'm 78, and pretty messed up back at this point.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I see inversion tables on Craigslist pretty often.

You might try a large stability ball, probably the one weighted with sand if you've never used a stability ball before. Sit on the ball and walk your feet out in front until you're laying on the ball face up. It's a pretty gentle stretch, but you can definitely feel a difference if you're doing it a couple times a day. When you're done stretching, you can either walk your feet back up until you're sitting on the ball again or gently roll forward to sit on the floor and get up from there. You can get the ball at Walmart for less than $20.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:02 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I see inversion tables on Craigslist pretty often.

You might try a large stability ball, probably the one weighted with sand if you've never used a stability ball before. Sit on the ball and walk your feet out in front until you're laying on the ball face up. It's a pretty gentle stretch, but you can definitely feel a difference if you're doing it a couple times a day. When you're done stretching, you can either walk your feet back up until you're sitting on the ball again or gently roll forward to sit on the floor and get up from there. You can get the ball at Walmart for less than $20.
Thanks. I have used many stability balls and foam rollers. And yes, I see a lot of inversion tables on CL...guess that is all I need to know about them

Old 09-14-2016, 03:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Not necessarily, about the inversion table...what works for one person may not work for another because back pain can be a very individual thing. I just meant it might be a cheaper way to try one.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I see a lot of inversion tables on CL...guess that is all I need to know about them
Not necessarily. There are a lot of cheesy ones that are so flimsy and unstable that they are frightening to use. I had one that made me feel like I was risking a collapse when on it. Dumped it.

I have now had the Kettler Apollo inversion table for 10 years, and it has not aged one bit. Made in Germany, solid, heavy, and I stretch an inch+ every time I use it. It's $399. on Amazon, and worth it. If you find one of them on CL, jump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness