Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 01:52 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,523,226 times

Advertisements

Acne pimples/cysts happen when there's an infection and your immune system sends pus there.

Is it possible, that if the cyst stays there a long time, the pus will harden and will just stay there indefinitely?

Pus is white, but I have a huge cyst that sometimes leaks pus but sometimes it looks like water. Or maybe that's not pus.

I tried putting a hot towel on it; no change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
It could be a sebaceous cyst.

Or it could be something else entirely. Since it's large and uncomfortable and on your face, see a doctor.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:16 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
If you see a skin doctor (dermatologist) it might be a boil (cyst) that they can lance (drain).

Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Acne pimples/cysts happen when there's an infection and your immune system sends pus there.

Is it possible, that if the cyst stays there a long time, the pus will harden and will just stay there indefinitely?

Pus is white, but I have a huge cyst that sometimes leaks pus but sometimes it looks like water. Or maybe that's not pus.

I tried putting a hot towel on it; no change.
Use drawing salve, you can buy it OTC at Walgreens, etc. Despite hot compresses, drawing salves, etc there reaches a point where it does need some "help" Even if it self-drains some, it doesn't all come out on its own. Get it as softened up as you can, then pinch it with your fingers, NOT your fingernails. Everything you read about such cysts says NEVER pop them, for fear of infection. Leaving them just sit there is also an infection risk, especially if they are draining some on heir own. Then there's an opening to the outside that various pathogens can enter through. Just use common sense when "popping", ie, wash the area thoroughly, clean with alcohol, wash hands, use gloves, DON"T dig with fingernails, when done, clean with alcohol, apply a bandaid if draining much, etc, etc......just don't use dirty fingernails to dig into a dirty, unwashed boil

Yes, if the pus stays there a long time it can harden into a rock-like lump!

Cost is a factor in seeing a doctor. Oftentimes insurance will not pay for it, considering it cosmetic. Your best bet is to do the best job you can on your own, being as aseptic as possible. If it heals, fine. If it becomes infected, then go to a doctor, at least insurance will then pay for it.

BTW, we have "excellent" full-coverage medical insurance, yet we resort to home remedies at times, depending on the situation, due to the costs incurred when seeing a doctor.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:54 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
BTW, I had such a lump on my....ahem...derriere. I swear it was there about 1.5--2 years. It was as hard as a rock, felt like a pebble there. There was nothing visible from the outside, no redness, swelling, etc. I asked doctors a couple of times about it, they just said oh, its just a cyst, nothing to worry about.

Well, the thing was right at a point where it hurt when I sat. It also itched. I kept trying to pop it on my own, with no success. Doctor said oh, there's nothing in there to come out, its just a hard cyst. Ok, finally, I tried using drawing salve and heat. One night after a hot bath I tried to squeeze it again. OMG---the stuff that came out! Although I didn't go so far as to actually measure it, I think it was at least 2 tsp of pus!

All that had been sitting there, in an enclosed type of "capsule", for almost 2 years. What if some opening occurred and it became infected? Not to mention the irritation, itching, etc.

I get so tired of reading that advice NEVER to pick or squeeze pimples, cysts, etc. Why, because of the fear of infection? There's a very real risk of infection just letting it sit there, a perfect breeding ground for stuff that might find its way inside. Just be clean about it, IMO, there's no more risk of infection if you pop it---aseptically, of course--- than the doc or a PA doing it. Only difference is, you save $$$. I had one doc wanted $300 because insurance considered it cosmetic

Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
BTW, I had such a lump on my....ahem...derriere. I swear it was there about 1.5--2 years. It was as hard as a rock, felt like a pebble there. There was nothing visible from the outside, no redness, swelling, etc. I asked doctors a couple of times about it, they just said oh, its just a cyst, nothing to worry about.

Well, the thing was right at a point where it hurt when I sat. It also itched. I kept trying to pop it on my own, with no success. Doctor said oh, there's nothing in there to come out, its just a hard cyst. Ok, finally, I tried using drawing salve and heat. One night after a hot bath I tried to squeeze it again. OMG---the stuff that came out! Although I didn't go so far as to actually measure it, I think it was at least 2 tsp of pus!

All that had been sitting there, in an enclosed type of "capsule", for almost 2 years. What if some opening occurred and it became infected? Not to mention the irritation, itching, etc.

I get so tired of reading that advice NEVER to pick or squeeze pimples, cysts, etc. Why, because of the fear of infection? There's a very real risk of infection just letting it sit there, a perfect breeding ground for stuff that might find its way inside. Just be clean about it, IMO, there's no more risk of infection if you pop it---aseptically, of course--- than the doc or a PA doing it. Only difference is, you save $$$. I had one doc wanted $300 because insurance considered it cosmetic

I had a cyst on my labia. it's called a bartholin cyst. It was very painful. Also, due to fear of infection, I wouldn't go to the bathroom outside of my home. Right before I was going to pop it, it burst. It was very thick and a lot came out. Some blood towards the end. That was 2 years ago. Knock on wood, it's gone for good.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I had a cyst on my labia. it's called a bartholin cyst. It was very painful. Also, due to fear of infection, I wouldn't go to the bathroom outside of my home. Right before I was going to pop it, it burst. It was very thick and a lot came out. Some blood towards the end. That was 2 years ago. Knock on wood, it's gone for good.
Ouch! I had one before, when I first started riding a bike for exercise. It's kind of amazing in a gross way how large the cyst can get and how much stuff can come out.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:48 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
I have a tendency to get every kind of skin infection under the sun. Styes, boils, skin fungus, etc. Tea tree oil is a huge help (NOT on eye infections!!!) - it's anti-microbial. My roommate clears up pimple outbreaks with it. I also use a medical-grade skin wash called Hibiclens, which cleared my skin right up. Religiously changing he pillow case every few nights is also helpful.

What the OP is describing is something that is beyond "drawing" and skin cleansers though. I suspect that it's an ingrown hair or boil and the infection is so far under the skin now, it needs to be lanced. I doubt it will cause any problems in terms of infection, but I suspect it's going to stick around without minor surgery. I think any dermatologist could handle it quite easily.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:56 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
My mother has a boil on her hairline. She went to the dermatologist, who declined to lance it. He said there was no point in her paying for something she could easily deal with on her own. He recommended ichthammol, which I found at CVS. It's a black ointment, which can be off-putting, but it worked fast.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I sometimes use an insulin needle to lance things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness