Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 02:47 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times

Advertisements

If you disagree with the diagnoses of your doctor see another doctor I have discovered doctors never come to the same conclusion how to treat something. I generally stay away from the low cost doctor who is a proxy of statistics and insurance company contracts type of treatment. I'm had the same issue with one who refuses to order a A1C test more then 1 time a year when clearly my A1C is pre-diabetic stage 6.3. It's a $50 test which I feel twice a year should be done to monitor what is happening. I found a new doctor he agrees I have been dieting and my A1C is down to 5.7 now still needs to be monitored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 04:25 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think most people who buy fish antibiotics do a little research about the kind they need for a specific kind of infection.

I'll admit that I used then a few times when I didn't have health insurance. I still keep some on hand for UTI. But infections "down below" can be complicated and difficult to self diagnose, so it could be hard to be sure you were using the right med for the job.
It takes more than a little research to know what the right choice of antibiotic is. First-line choices vary in location depending on local resistance rates of the bacteria in that region. Moreover, the right drug should be chosen with a look to what other medications, medical conditions, medical history, or allergy the patient has. Safety is a consideration, as some antibiotics are more likely to cause side effects than others and so would not be the first choice. Pharmacy is an art, and it's difficult to do without an education in the subject.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:20 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
So, my question is......Did you actual go to the doctor OP? And if so, what did he say the course of action was? Typically a doctor will say something like... "You don't have an infection or a fever so wait a few days and if it persists come back in or call our office and we'll re-evaluate". Is that what happened or did he give you a different diagnosis? As others have said you can't just get an antibiotic and treat yourself. Different antibiotics cure different things and some don't cure certain bacterial infections.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
UNTIL I asked her to write her name and license number down so if
I couldn't work from a swollen leg I'd know who to sue.

She wrote the script. LOL
You're my hero ...I didn't say 'sue', but, I said...''My lawyer will not believe when I tell
him you wouldn't write a script.'' (for Physical therapy) I had no lawyer.
...it was faxed over directly.

We must take some power back from these MDs
...they also wanted
to do ridiculous x-rays, etc., once....I said, 'No way...I have soft issue injuries only.'
Once the paramedics were going to start an IV in the ambulance...I said, 'No way'...3xs.
They said you could have a collapsed lung...I said, "My lung is not collapsed! No. Let them
do whatever once I'm at the ER!"
Saved a chunk on the ambulance bill, lemme tell ya!
I never did need any IV, btw.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:01 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
The IV is not because you need something at the moment, it is because if something does go wrong, they can deliver the medicine quickly. You are in an Emergency vehicle. Emphasis on emergency.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-22-2016, 05:21 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You're my hero ...I didn't say 'sue', but, I said...''My lawyer will not believe when I tell

...they also wanted
to do ridiculous x-rays, etc., once....I said, 'No way...I have soft issue injuries only.'
Once the paramedics were going to start an IV in the ambulance...I said, 'No way'...3xs.
They said you could have a collapsed lung...I said, "My lung is not collapsed! No. Let them
Here's a simple trick to "take power back from these MD's"

Seeing as you know so much more about when you NEED PT, X-rays, IV's (obviously you know MUCH more than the paramedics as well)

The trick??

DON'T call for an ambulance in the first place....

DON'T go to a doctor, for anything, you clearly know much more..

Trust me....you won't be missed...

Old 11-22-2016, 07:18 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Here's a simple trick to "take power back from these MD's"

Seeing as you know so much more about when you NEED PT, X-rays, IV's (obviously you know MUCH more than the paramedics as well)

The trick??

DON'T call for an ambulance in the first place....

DON'T go to a doctor, for anything, you clearly know much more..

Trust me....you won't be missed...
Why so mad? While I agree refusing xrays can be really foolish, I never thought of any reason to start antibiotics in an ambulance. They weren't talking about A/B but she didn't ask why, I guess.

There IS a grey area where the medical professional is required to do/not do certain things they may not have normally done because of various administrative and financial factors.

If you've ever taken a dog to the Petsmart veterinarian, you'll see the computer spit out a DX and TX sheet and your visit is finished. THAT all depended on the data the vet or tech input and the communication skills of the vet.

Human medicine can go that way if we remove patient input and dialogue. BUT the new rules limit even the amount of time allocated to that. Unless we're stubborn LOL. Heck, the new rules even limit your choice of medical professional so the CUSTOMER has literally NO choice in finding someone they trust and believe in. I've known hundreds of people who take longer to understand what the doctor is asking or saying or even get it after they leave the office.

ie: customers coming into my pet store asking for lamb flavored food because lamb cures skin allergies. That isn't what the doctor said, but the visit wasn't successful in actually explaining it.

This IV refusal is a good example. The patient didn't understand the PURPOSE of the IV and assumed it was for something she "didn't need".

Once I went to a Phila dental school and the first intake visit was amazing. The Professor stressed the entire point of getting the history was to document everything as "Patient denies xxxxxxx" as she had the student ask me questions. Not a single follow up question to any of my answers as long as they got a "deny" on the form.

This subject isn't black and white but EVERYONE can agree you can't get antibiotics online and it's not even a good idea even if you could.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

...they also wanted
Why didn't you just drive to a doctor if it wasn't an emergency? We disagree on this. If you're in an emergency ambulance, you defer.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It takes more than a little research to know what the right choice of antibiotic is. First-line choices vary in location depending on local resistance rates of the bacteria in that region. Moreover, the right drug should be chosen with a look to what other medications, medical conditions, medical history, or allergy the patient has. Safety is a consideration, as some antibiotics are more likely to cause side effects than others and so would not be the first choice. Pharmacy is an art, and it's difficult to do without an education in the subject.
100%

Once my regular fabulous MD was away and had some of his residents covering appointments in addition to his 3 normal MDs in his pretty large practice. I wasn't thrilled, I always decline residents, but OK.

I've rarely taken a/b but a couple times had to. IE dental surgery etc.

I had a Lyme titer and the antibiotics were tricky because of side effects. Even though I told him I had GI problems with the typical Doxy they prescribe he said "try it - that's all that works".

Predictably on day 3 I couldn't tolerate it, had to leave work.... and went back and had to have a FIT and demand something else (from a different doctor) after he tried to tell me I HAD TO put up with the side effects. DUH. OH OK, I'll take a drug that I don't even absorb because you're new.

(my regular doc had already TOLD ME "never keep taking an a/b you can't tolerate unless it's very short term because it's counterproductive").

Anyway, after changing a couple times, I got dual ear infections. Another predictable side effect. The same resident prescribed the wrong topical a/b even for the ears and the whole sum of the drama was I was out of work for a MONTH. At the PHONE COMPANY of all places, LOL. But I had FMLA.

I'm glad I never got significant Lyme symptoms and probably never needed the a/b anyway.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-22-2016 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 11:52 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Google "fish antibiotics" as they are the same as human form. Preppers store them.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness