Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:23 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I've never been admitted to the hospital for any reason other than childbirth, but I know my husband has good stories from the ER of patients he's treated. Among the best:

1. Guy who blew off his hand fishing with TNT.
2. Guy who blew off his genitals dropping golf balls into PVC tubing filled with gunpowder that he was balancing in his lap.
3. Guy who severely injured himself hitting a barbwire fence while snowmobiling in July.

I bet stan4 has some good stories....
All these examples would merit Darwin awards, if the people had died. Actually, I think that the guy who took off his nards should qualify anyway, as the requirement is, "to remove oneself from the gene pool".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times
When I was a kid, a neighbor with a giant beehive hairstyle (look it up whippersnappers!) was in her backyard when a bat got tangled in her Aqua Net Spray nest of a hairdo. Interesting that the bat died of shock, cuz I'd have thought she would have needed to be treated for the same. She had to go to the hospital to have it cut out, if I'm not mistaken, by ambulance. Don't recall now if she were scratched & had to endure rabies shots, cuz I was too young... but it was a very small town, where nothing much happened until a mass shooting 2 decades later & the incident was talked about for years.

When I was a teen, I had to go to the ER 3 times in 2-wks for torn corneas. The tear isn't that strange, but the frequency was. Injuries were to both eyes via the same method, also strange. Each time, it was a paint chip which had blown into my eye in downtown Boston, while walking outside on different streets in completely different 'hoods. And, no, I wasn't walking under ladders at construction sites. Instead of having a dirt cloud over my head like Charlie Brown's Pigpen, apparently, I have a cloud filled with renovation debris that follows me around.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:36 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Gosh , I come from a family of five boys and myself (girl) .
My one brother was notorious for being dared to do things... Let's just say some of his dares Ended in hospital trips:
Taking a mattress to the roof and sliding off it... Hospital trip!
Sitting at lunch..Stuck a penny up his nose.....Hospital trip.
Spiral staircase using a hefty bag...Slid down it then crashed into our plastered wall....Hospital visit.

My mom worked as a nurse...So she didn't get upset.

This brother would spend 30 years enlisted. His daringness served him well...

Old 02-05-2017, 12:44 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
All these examples would merit Darwin awards, if the people had died. Actually, I think that the guy who took off his nards should qualify anyway, as the requirement is, "to remove oneself from the gene pool".
Yes, there are a lot of stupid people out there....but for every one of these people, there are far more people that end up in the hospital after hurting themselves in the most seemingly common ways- stumbling over a curb they didn't see, tripping over a rug, slipping in their bathtub etc.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Well; I worked in a hospital (RN) for years & I've seen some very strange things. Very. Strange.

Personally, the strangest one was when I was pregnant with #2. I had been hospitalized for 2 days with Hyperemesis Gravidarium (continuous vomiting) & when I was discharged they switched my anti-emetic (nausea) medication from IV to an oral pill.

I had an adverse reaction to the drug & it's known for causing "Pseudo-Parkinsonians", or; tremors. However, since I had been vomiting for 2 weeks prior, my electrolytes & mineral levels were depleted. Calcium ... is used by the body to relax muscles. But I didn't have any extra Calcium floating around.

So instead of tremors; my muscles locked up. Have you ever seen those artist depictions of what "death by Tetanus" (lockjaw) looks like? That was me.

By the time I got to the ER my jaw was locked open & to one side & my wrists & forearms had started to twist up by my neck, bent at the elbows. It was so scary & painful!

And then; I'll admit; I'm one of those that tripped on a curb. But, I tripped stepping UP a curb, when I was 6 months pregnant with #4. Broke my ankle & leg bones & had to spend my 3rd trimester on crutches. Talk about "weebles-wobble"... I looked pathetically funny. I just told everybody it happened because I "couldn't see my feet anymore".

Old 02-05-2017, 08:35 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
I've never been admitted to the hospital for any reason other than childbirth, but I know my husband has good stories from the ER of patients he's treated. Among the best:

2. Guy who blew off his genitals dropping golf balls into PVC tubing filled with gunpowder that he was balancing in his lap.
3. Guy who severely injured himself hitting a barbwire fence while snowmobiling in July.

I noticed all three of these incidents were guys doing something stupid. I wonder if they handed their beer to their friend and said "watch this" before it happened.....

Old 02-05-2017, 10:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:

Our neighbor when I was a teenager, was a drunk and one day he decided that the best way to solve a constipation problem was with a vacuum cleaner hose applied to his rectum. He ended up pulling a bunch of intestines out. What a dork.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:24 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I noticed all three of these incidents were guys doing something stupid. I wonder if they handed their beer to their friend and said "watch this" before it happened.....
Funny that, huh? Actually, from what I recall when I heard these stories, 2 of the guys were alone when it happened, including the one who blew his hand off fishing. He was in a boat and had to get back to shore himself. Then, when he was in the OR, someone noticed a small, perfectly round hole in the side of his leg. When they X-Rayed it, it was the tip of his finger, embedded in his femur.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
In the jungle, my missionary niece had her toe bit off by a piranha. Her brother grabbed a fishing pole and caught that SAME piranha. Got the toe out and her doctor father sewed it back on.

Jungle adventures!

Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Not to be outdone, I got bitten by a CA sea lion while visiting the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara.

My fault. 18 and stupid. The Coast Guard said it was the first case they'd ever seen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness