Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM

403 posts, read 364,039 times

Advertisements

Hi All- I was wondering if any of you know anything about mild scoliosis and if there is ANY way to fix it?? I have it and growing up, has made me very self conscious One side of my waist curve a bit more so I'm always so paranoid if I get my pics taken in a bikini or something..
I'm also in my mid 20's and my SIL told me that I should try to fix it now.. because she had it too and told me once she got pregnant, it got worse and she was in soo much pain!!! I'm scared so I want to prevent that.
She also told me that after giving birth to her kids, she started seeing this old Asian doctor that "knows how" to fix that.. basically a chiropractor, and it's helping so she is suggesting that I should go to him now before kids or anything. We're asian so we tend to go to doctors that we believe can fix it lol, even though western/other doctors said there's "nothing we can do". So just wondering if anyone has experience with this, and fixed their back with some old wives method or any legitimate doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Hi All- I was wondering if any of you know anything about mild scoliosis and if there is ANY way to fix it?? I have it and growing up, has made me very self conscious One side of my waist curve a bit more so I'm always so paranoid if I get my pics taken in a bikini or something..
I'm also in my mid 20's and my SIL told me that I should try to fix it now.. because she had it too and told me once she got pregnant, it got worse and she was in soo much pain!!! I'm scared so I want to prevent that.
She also told me that after giving birth to her kids, she started seeing this old Asian doctor that "knows how" to fix that.. basically a chiropractor, and it's helping so she is suggesting that I should go to him now before kids or anything. We're asian so we tend to go to doctors that we believe can fix it lol, even though western/other doctors said there's "nothing we can do". So just wondering if anyone has experience with this, and fixed their back with some old wives method or any legitimate doctor?
You can't totally "fix" it, but it can be improved. I too have a mild scoliosis. This caused an imbalance on my right side and my left leg seemed shorter. Over the years I have had chiropractic care which helps a little, but what has helped me the MOST has been a combination of myofascial release work (deep tissue) and lots and lots of exercise - anything like yoga, dance, stretching, light strength training etc. I stay almost pain free with this regimen and the curve and imbalance has improved greatly. It takes time, so you have to be patient. And the ongoing myofascial work is expensive, but to me it's very worth it.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
I've become a big believer in yoga exercises for helping us fix problems with alignment and other issues that we develop along the way. Check this link about their recommendations for scoliosis. Sometimes their articles demonstrate the different asanas/ postures.... sometimes they don't. But you can easily look them up on youtube to see a demo on how they are done.

Yoga Sequence for Scoliosis: Yoga Poses to Realign Your Spine

The first one on their list, Cat/Cow pose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqnua4rHVVA

Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
I have a little scoliosis and a LOT of back pain, but I once read that scoliosis is not thought to cause back pain, so I have never explored that as a possible cause of my back pain. I have fibromyalgia also and tend to blame all my pain on that. But I think I will go to a back doctor and ask about the scoliosis factor, see if anything could be done from that angle. I'm tired, tired, tired of back pain!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness