Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:31 PM

109 posts, read 100,488 times

Advertisements

i broke my ankle when i was 12 so that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,117,063 times
When I was around 10 years old, at the playground, tried to do what some of the older kids (boys..... I'm a girl)..... tried to see how far I could jump to the next bar on the monkey bars. Missed and fell flat on my face, knocked myself out. High school boys playing football across the street ran over and one carried me down to the doctor's office (on same block as playground). Broke my nose. I was quite a sight for a week or more. Doctor came to my house a few hours later to check on me.

Those days are gone forever? ---- doctors making housecalls.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:03 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Gout at age 50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout
At age 60, started on daily 300mg allopurinol
no attacks or flareups since
now 72

Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
I was a cheerleader in high school and broke my wrist and my mother made me quit . Then I played baseball and broke my collar bone and had to quit softball .

Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
When I was about 3, I had croup cough and nearly died. they put me into some sort of tent thing that fed me oxygen. The nurses would not come to let me out when I had to go to the bathroom and pushed the button or whatever we had and then they would stand around me and taunt me and call me names for wetting the bed, they called me a baby and made me wear diapers. They were horrible and nasty to me every time I saw them. I do not remember it well but I remember those nasty nurses making fun of me. I also remember feeling trapped in that little plastic tent thing they had me in.

A few years later I had to go back to a hospital again for an eye infection - staph I think (on Christmas Eve). I was scared to death. I did not want to be tortured again. The nurses were wonderful. My roommate was a kid who shot himself in the eye with his Christmas BB gun (yes like the movie). They felt bad for us being in the hospital on Christmas and treated us wonderfully. I liked the hospital so much I named my new GI Joe "Harper" after the name of the hospital (yes, before you ask he did have the new "life like hair" (and beard)). I found Harper at my dads house recently and brought back both the good and bad hospital memories.

Name:  Harper.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  2.1 KB

Old 04-24-2017, 02:58 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
I had Pneumonia when I was 4 years old. Had bouts with being in and out of the hospital from age 1 to age 8 with dehydration and high fevers. there were 2 times I actually stayed 1 week in the hospital and the final time was at Tufts university hospital in Boston when I was 8. Turns out I was Hypoglycemic. I was used as a guinea pig all those years with tests after tests, medications and diagnosis of diseases I did not even have!!! It was a simple control of my diet that cured it.This was in the early 1970's. My mom read an article about this doctor in Boston and she wrote her a long letter to see if she could help me and she did. I was in this one hospital in NY called booth memorial when I was about 4 and when my mom came to see me she said I looked awful! My gown was soiled, my IV and arm had dried blood all over it. The nurses never washed me that day. My mom was livid! She wrote a letter to the board of directors complaining about the care I was getting and yanked me out!!! Not sure if she tried to sue. I even had a nurse say to me one time that I should stop crying and that the IV doesn't hurt and that I am going to wake up the other kids. Really? "Let me poke the hell out of your arm and see how you like it." I am 46 now and I can remember these experiences like they happened yesterday.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:55 PM

385 posts, read 441,158 times
Had the measles when I was 2 followed up by the chicken pox at 3. Both times I got to sleep in my parent's bed. Loved it.

First injury was in on April 1, 2011. It was a gloriously sunny day after a huge snow storm and I went skiing...for hours and hours. Couldn't get enough. On my last run, I hit a deep patch of powder and before I knew it, I was hanging upside down by my left boot as the ski sunk into the snow in a twisting motion. Couldn't get my bindings to release until my knee had torn all ligaments (heard each one pop) and I finally had the give in my leg to snap the boot off. Beyond the surgery and the 6 mos of rehab, I remember this incident vividly because I was working on my rehab next to a little radio on the morning of 9/11 when a NYC DJ said a plane had just hit the WTC.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
Late Nov and Early Dec 2016, I had 3 falls at home, 3 rd took me to ER via 911. The staph infection wasn't found for over 2.5 months and I did not walk for that long...raging infection going on. In and out of hospital and 3 rehab facilities and finally got to come home April 13 after 2 months of abx IV drugs and lots of PT. Worse time of my life...I'm 79.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:36 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
When I was 11 I came home for lunch, got sick, throwing up. That afternoon my appendix were removed. My thought was "that isn't supposed to happen to me". Worse things came years later.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:18 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
Quad bypass surgery at the age of 56. First surgery for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness