Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 11:12 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,114,969 times

Advertisements

I used to go through the doctor/flexeril appointment about 1-2x per year for my sprained lower back.

I haven't been to the doctor for this for over 10 years, following an easy routine.

After this routine, my pain is completely gone in about 2-3 days.

The cause of these sprains, for me, is bending and lifting/twisting the exact wrong way. Funny thing is, it never starts to hurt until 12-24 hours later. Who knows why...

-----------------------------
Here goes:

1. Ibuprofen [not Tylenol/acteminophen] as needed. I take 2x the recommended dosage with food. But, others should follow the recommended dosage [or lower] if you have a history of ulcers.

2. Hot shower, [really hot] aimed directly at my lower back, for about 10 minutes or as long as I want. I squat now and then, slowly, to help loosen the muscles.

3. Long walks.

4. The Home-Depot-style back brace helps a lot, too. I wear mine under my shirt.

5. The biggie:
Get thick cushions [off the sofa, or wherever] toss it on the floor wherever your chairs were. You'll kneel on those cushions for the duration, everywhere you needed to sit.

You'll have to sit in your car's seat and on the toilet... of course that's unavoidable...but everywhere else, for avoid chairs like the plague.

Never, ever sit on a soft sofa with a sprained lower back, you'll end up in agony. I always did anyway!

My advice here isn't intended for more serious spinal issues, though some of it may help.

Last edited by Tantalust; 04-25-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
Diagnosed with degenerative disc disease L5-S1 at age 25. Suffered periodic low back strains and sprains, without radiation down the legs, until age 30s when symptoms disappeared. The only change in lifestyle was to do abdominal crunches rather than traditional sit-ups. Hard to believe that this change would effectuate a cure, but I have no other answer. Now age 73.

Curiously, because of what I perceived to be a torn groin in 2014, the MD ordered X-rays of the lower spine and hip in the belief that it was not a true groin injury but rather referred pain from an arthritic spine and/or hip. Sure enough, the spine showed significant arthritis and was blamed for the so-called groin tear, but there is still no symptomatology in the lower back. Knock on wood.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Thank you for that effort to tell us, Tantalust!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Diagnosed with degenerative disc disease L5-S1 at age 25. Suffered periodic low back strains and sprains, without radiation down the legs, until age 30s when symptoms disappeared. The only change in lifestyle was to do abdominal crunches rather than traditional sit-ups. Hard to believe that this change would effectuate a cure, but I have no other answer. Now age 73.
Awesome! Stay well.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 PM

Just a note here, that the kneeling routine isn't so easy for many of us geriatric folks, it hurts after awhile and it becomes difficult to stand up.. I'm thinking about getting one of those stand-up desks I've heard tell of.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
A taller toilet helps a lot when you've got a lower back spasm. Also, if kneeling is too difficult, using an exercise ball as a chair might be helpful.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Awesome! Stay well.

Thank you and ditto to you.

Can recall several times in my late 20s and unable to get out of bed. While lying on my side, dad literally rolled me out of bed where I could land on the floor on my hands and knees, and from that position rise to a standing position.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:36 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
Quote:

Curiously, because of what I perceived to be a torn groin in 2014, the MD ordered X-rays of the lower spine and hip in the belief that it was not a true groin injury but rather referred pain from an arthritic spine and/or hip. Sure enough, the spine showed significant arthritis and was blamed for the so-called groin tear, but there is still no symptomatology in the lower back. Knock on wood.
CH, did you find anything to help the referred pain (torn groin) issue? Sometimes I get a similar 'groin injury' symptom and then it goes away.... seems like it happens when I've been sitting for too long then it goes away after I've been standing for awhile.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
CH, did you find anything to help the referred pain (torn groin) issue? Sometimes I get a similar 'groin injury' symptom and then it goes away.... seems like it happens when I've been sitting for too long then it goes away after I've been standing for awhile.

Nezlie, it's interesting that you say it goes away without any kind of medical intervention or analgesics. Same thing with me. Only difference is that my groin symptoms never returned while yours do. I just attributed symptoms to arthritic flare-up in spine and hip as the MD suggested and they were really nasty while they lasted. Really affected sleep.

Maybe in your case your sitting position somehow affects the groin muscles directly rather than referred pain.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:32 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
Quote:
Nezlie, it's interesting that you say it goes away without any kind of medical intervention or analgesics. Same thing with me. Only difference is that my groin symptoms never returned while yours do. I just attributed symptoms to arthritic flare-up in spine and hip as the MD suggested and they were really nasty while they lasted. Really affected sleep.

Maybe in your case your sitting position somehow affects the groin muscles directly rather than referred pain.
This condition, which I've had now for about the last four months, is triggered by my sitting in one place for too long. So now, I take breaks after about 30-40 minutes and get up and move around for awhile. When I stand, after experiencing a bout of this, I get almost instant relief. When I get it and have to sit, then it's like sitting on nerves. It's never bothered me when sleeping though. It started like a sharp groin injury. Now I don't have that sharp groin pain anymore and can even do yoga butterfly stretches without any problem. I couldn't do them at first because the pain was too strong, but after resting for a couple of weeks that area seems to have healed. Those stretches are recommended for the groin and hip areas.

I wouldn't doubt that there's some compression on those nerves going on in the lower spine some place when I sit for too long.

https://www.artofliving.org/yoga/yog...-badhakonasana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness