Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 698 times

Advertisements

I know you're thinking, "why are you here? Why not just go see an actual doc?" The reason I've come here is because I'm known to be a little bit of a hypochondriac. Once I went to the er then made a doctors appt because I thought I had a severe skin rash. My skin seemed to be peeling and really really itchy. I was distraught and concerned, never having skin issues previously. But the doctors laughed at me and told me I was just ashy, right after prescribing me lotion😑 So today my concern is my skin again. I have a bump on my left arm, right below my shoulder bone. I've had it since yesterday and last night it was itching. Once I scartched the area I cut it on accident with my nails. Now this morning the bump is hard, the area from my shoulder to my elbow is hot and I feel a lot of pressure in my entire arm, wrist and hand. The area of the bump is slightly aching and my wrist is a bit sore but no swelling or discoloration. Should I consult a dr? Google is suggesting I have cellulitis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It could be an allergic reaction to a bug bite. Some people get reactions like that to mosquito bites. The doctor can prescribe something to help, usually a couple days of steroids.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Don't scratch any of your skin with NAILS...dirty nails can only breed infection.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Having dealt with cellulitis, on numerous occasions, this doesn't seem to fit the bill. Some spider bites can lead to cellulitis, and it does sound like you were bit or stung by something. Cellulitis does not itch. It flat hurts. When cellulitis has set in there is an ulceration, that drains and has an odor. It's a bacterial infection, , and as it advances the effected tissue becomes necrotic.

Being as the area is showing redness and is hot I wouldn't hesitate to see a doctor. Spider bites in particular can turn to cellulitis. As the other poster said, the worst thing you could have done is scratch it to the point you drew blood. Your nails are bacteria magnets. I don't think you're into cellulitis yet, but you well could have started the ball rolling. So get it looked at. Bad cases of cellulitis will land you in the hospital on IV antibiotics and it's quite painful.

Once it takes off there's no stopping it without some pretty big gun antibiotics. I wouldn't even sweat what you feel the doctors might think. Get checked out. Cellulitis can and will advance rapidly and can and will turn life and limb threatening. And spider bites are a common cause of it. That itch, and people dig at it and boot open the door. If your primary cant get you in quickly, go to the ER. Now that you've opened a wound, and have heat, redness and swelling time is something you don't want to give it. If it turns out to be nothing, GREAT. But there's an IF in there you don't want to play with.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Not a doctor by any means but from personal experience, NO, that sounds nothing like cellulitis. It sounds like some little creature decided to use your arm for his dinner.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:10 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
I know this is an old thread but I currently have a bad case of Cellulitis. It's my 4th bout. Twice I was in hospital for several days. This time I did not see a red streak like I usually get. My entire left leg from knee to ankle was swollen and deep red. I have little blisters on shin as well.

I ended up in the ER last Wednesday night. Doctor was thinking about admitting me but decided to send me home with Keflex and Bactrim. Hospitals have enough problems with staph so I did not need to stay in there to take chances. It has been a slow process but the redness is slowly going down. I saw my primary doc last Friday and she measured the redness. I can see it's slowly going away. Swelling is down.

You can't let Cellulitis go as it can go into Sepsis and I knew that. The first time I got it I was in the hospital for 7 days on Vancomyacin drip. (I believe that is the correct spelling) It's certainly not fun to have.

If you have lots of swelling and redness I would at least see your doctor or Urgent Care and let them make a judgment call. I now know that sometimes the redness does not have to be just a streak up the leg. Lesson learned on this bout. My pain patch did not even TOUCH the pain I had in leg. It was a horrible burning pain- like I had been in a terrible fire.

I have missed coming to City-Data the last few days but I am on a timer - 1 hour at computer and that's it. Back on the couch. This too shall pass....

Old 10-09-2017, 02:43 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I know this is an old thread but I currently have a bad case of Cellulitis. It's my 4th bout. Twice I was in hospital for several days. This time I did not see a red streak like I usually get. My entire left leg from knee to ankle was swollen and deep red. I have little blisters on shin as well.

I ended up in the ER last Wednesday night. Doctor was thinking about admitting me but decided to send me home with Keflex and Bactrim. Hospitals have enough problems with staph so I did not need to stay in there to take chances. It has been a slow process but the redness is slowly going down. I saw my primary doc last Friday and she measured the redness. I can see it's slowly going away. Swelling is down.

You can't let Cellulitis go as it can go into Sepsis and I knew that. The first time I got it I was in the hospital for 7 days on Vancomyacin drip. (I believe that is the correct spelling) It's certainly not fun to have.

If you have lots of swelling and redness I would at least see your doctor or Urgent Care and let them make a judgment call. I now know that sometimes the redness does not have to be just a streak up the leg. Lesson learned on this bout. My pain patch did not even TOUCH the pain I had in leg. It was a horrible burning pain- like I had been in a terrible fire.

I have missed coming to City-Data the last few days but I am on a timer - 1 hour at computer and that's it. Back on the couch. This too shall pass....

Your 4th bout, do you know WHY. The last rehab I was in, a young woman was brought into my room with an IV drip and it was cellulitis...she hated it there and wonders why she just couldn't be home with the abx. She didn't know WHY she got the cellulitis. She was always left with the drip in her arm when it was finished and the nurses just didn't get to her, so she would walk to the lobby with the IV stand etc....she was very very unhappy there and I was not much happier, but I was not walking hardly due to staph infection I had.

I had what probably was an infection on my leg from what I think was a scratch and the derm gave me a script for steroid ointment...it finally cleared it up. NOT good to scratch our skin.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:53 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Your 4th bout, do you know WHY. The last rehab I was in, a young woman was brought into my room with an IV drip and it was cellulitis...she hated it there and wonders why she just couldn't be home with the abx. She didn't know WHY she got the cellulitis. She was always left with the drip in her arm when it was finished and the nurses just didn't get to her, so she would walk to the lobby with the IV stand etc....she was very very unhappy there and I was not much happier, but I was not walking hardly due to staph infection I had.

I had what probably was an infection on my leg from what I think was a scratch and the derm gave me a script for steroid ointment...it finally cleared it up. NOT good to scratch our skin.
Hi Jamin:

I discovered this in the hospital last week by the doctor that if you work out in the yard, you can pick it up there. Having said this - this is my first bout as far as being in our new home and having a yard. I get out and work in my garden - flowers. My autoimmune system is also very low as I have Diabetes , Fibromyalgia and RSD. So I guess I am a mess.

My first round with Cellulitis - I spent over a week in the hospital I had a crack in-between my toes and they believe it came through there. Other two times they believe it came from my cat- scratches. Second round I spent 3 days in hospital... This 4th round was bad. My leg is horrible looking - like alligator skin. The pain was so INTENSE and I do not say that lightly. I believe I have muscle damage due to this round of Cellulitis.

I probably could have been sent home last week and an order put in for an infusion nurse to set me up at home with IV but why they did not do that is beyond me. I would much prefer a good antibiotic like Vancomyacin to knock it out sooner and be at home. As is I spent close to 24 hrs in ER. I give thanks that we have good health insurance.

When I was in the ER waiting to be seen, there were actually a couple of homeless like people in there sleeping. They had some belongings with them. My heart goes out to the homeless but why would you let them in a waiting room with many people with infections? I had a real issue with that. I went to Little Company of Mary which is my provider (Providence) People were coughing - A gal across from me was walking around with NO masks on... I am going to sit down and write a letter to the hospital. Staph infections are worse in hospitals but I kept putting it off thinking swelling - redness would go down. I am angry with myself.

When outside I guess I have to wear long pants - closed in shoes and socks while working with my flowers. I know how serious this is and what can happen. I was very close to Sepsis the first time I got it. Very sick. I am older now at 64 and it's so much harder to bounce back. My leg still hurts a lot but what am I going to do but deal with it now. Suppose to go in for a flu shot this Friday and not sure I am going to because I have NO idea if infection is out of my system. The dr. told me they would not give me the shot if I am still sick. I really am paranoid of hospitals anymore- due to all the many sicknesses and infections. Scares me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness