Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Anyone ever get Peripheral Neuropathy from a Statin drug? Did it go away after stopping the drug, and if so, how long did it take to go away after stopping the drug?

I've been on Vytorin 10/20 for a couple of years. In the last two months, I have tingling in both my feet. It came on quite suddenly. I stopped the vytorin, which wasn't doing much anyway, only 3 days ago. I'm curious if it is the cause, since online searches say it is not uncommon.

Thanks
What does your doctor say about this? Statin drugs seem to cause more side effects than originally known, but many things can cause Neuropathy. If it just came on I would think it is is caused by something other than a drug you have taken for 2 years. Remember though, we can read and read and suddenly find something that will back up our theory or on the other hand doctors often forget or neglect to tell us the side affects of certain drugs. I remember my husband taking hormones for his cancer plus a lot of radiation. Some of the known side effects were told to him but a few others were not. It wasn't until he had problems that he asked the ongologist. That is when he learned of the side effects. We are thankful his life was spared, but we do with he had known exactly what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 04:11 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
It took mine from the 1990's until April 2017 to progress from the arches of my feet to the ankles. Then it shot up fast to above my knees after my prostate cancer radiation.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have acute idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. It started in the middle of May in my feet and it is still with me and is getting worse by traveling up my legs. I am hoping to find a reason for it soon, but the fact of the matter is I may never get an answer. I have seen my regular doctor, a neurologist, and next up is an endocrinologist. All I can say is that it sucks and the depression from getting it can be worse than the pain.

Have you tried Cymbalta? I was prescribed it for depression, but its also know to help neuropathy. I do know I have felt much better since taking it. Lyrica is another related drug which might help.

OP your best bet is to get offline - searching for answers on the internet is going to make you crazy and depressed. If you haven't seen a neurologist yet I recommend scheduling an appointment.

And for those that want to advise what I should take - I have tried it all, trust me. I am on amiltryptoline now which keeps the pain bearable and Vicodin when it cannot.

Good luck with that I was prescribed Vicodin for severe pain, from rheumatoid, diabetic neuropathy, pinched spinal disc, fibromyalgia---all at once. What I'm saying is, I definitely have multiple, painful conditions. Vicodin was a maintenance drug for me, until all the hysteria about abuse of hydrocodone. Now I can't even get it prescribed for acute pain, like dental extractions, etc. Denying relief to legitimate pain-sufferers in not going to stop the abuse of the drug. People who suffer such pain as I do, on a consistent basis, wouldn't sell or trade the drug for ANY price. We need the relief it brings!

Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Good luck with that I was prescribed Vicodin for severe pain, from rheumatoid, diabetic neuropathy, pinched spinal disc, fibromyalgia---all at once. What I'm saying is, I definitely have multiple, painful conditions. Vicodin was a maintenance drug for me, until all the hysteria about abuse of hydrocodone. Now I can't even get it prescribed for acute pain, like dental extractions, etc. Denying relief to legitimate pain-sufferers in not going to stop the abuse of the drug. People who suffer such pain as I do, on a consistent basis, wouldn't sell or trade the drug for ANY price. We need the relief it brings!

I live in enough chronic pain with advancing OA, fibro so they say and the mess from knee infection. I found after some time with this infection and PAIN and not walking, the 300mg ibuprofen every 6 hrs did just as good if NOT better than the oxycodone that gave me so MANY side effects...I make sure I have food in my stomach when taking the otc pain med. Find MSM powder a couple times a day at least eases the pain for me, I've been taking it for years. A man on an RA board recommended higher doses for RA pain, his words stuck with me and I use it daily.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Zen88
I developed perpherial neuropathy in both feet while on Vytorin. That was about ten years ago. I was taken off Vytorin as soon as I was dx'ed but the PN remained. Over the years my symptoms lessened a bit but I still have some numbness and pain everyday.
I never tried Lyrica. I don't like the idea of a side effect being suicide. I just put up with the pain.
BTW, after that experience I have never taken another statin.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:57 PM

We sure go thru hard lessons but some of us learn from these lessons. And some wonder why I'm so anti drugs.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Most doctors are scared to death to prescribe narcotics these days. My GP never wants to give them. My neurologist is much better. I am still suffering from PN and I am awaiting a lumbar steroid procedure. The Vicodin have been the only thing that takes the edge off the pain. I don't take much, a pill or 2 a day at max. I am really looking forward to hopefully not having to take any damn pills for this. The amiltryptoline does not work even though I continue to take it. I was on norotryptoline for awhile, that did not work either. I have done acupuncture, saw a chiropractor, and I would probably go to a witch doctor if there was a shred of hope for relief.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:36 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Anyone ever get Peripheral Neuropathy from a Statin drug? Did it go away after stopping the drug, and if so, how long did it take to go away after stopping the drug?

I've been on Vytorin 10/20 for a couple of years. In the last two months, I have tingling in both my feet. It came on quite suddenly. I stopped the vytorin, which wasn't doing much anyway, only 3 days ago. I'm curious if it is the cause, since online searches say it is not uncommon.

Thanks
Statins are linked to diabetes. High blood sugar is linked to peripheral neuropathy.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 PM

There's a link in Alternative area on Vicks Vapo Rub for pain and tingling and I use Vicks every night on my feet, wear socks all the time.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:28 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
I did. Six months on Lipitor but as soon as I stopped the drug, the neuropathy cleared up within about 4 weeks. I was having shooting sensations and electric shocks in my fingers and toes along with episodes of tingling and numbness.

The prescribing MD was clueless as to the existence of the relationship between statin therapy and neuropathy. He referred me to a neuro for a conduction test and by the time I got the appt, I had already taken myself off the Lipitor and the symptoms had subsided to a sub-clinical level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness