Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times

Advertisements

My experience was that it was my decision whether to try conservative measures first or have the surgery. Never felt pushed. Once the imaging and any other needed tests were done I asked questions and it was a cooperative decision.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How many folks here have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon and were told to try non-surgical treatments before or in place of surgery?
First of all, insurance companies usually want you to fail medical treatment before they'll authorize the surgery.

So I wasn't really surprised when the orthopod looked at my MRI and said, "No surgery. You've still got cartilage left."

We discussed the self-care I was doing for my knee at that time. He said, "Keep doing that."

Even though he didn't suggest it, I've lost some weight since then. Climbing stairs has gotten a lot easier. My trainer and I continue to work on strengthening the muscles around the knees and keeping them supple.

There are many non-surgical ways to reduce knee pain until one becomes a candidate for knee replacement. I'm thinking now I might not ever need that surgery.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I was referred for very painful arthritis in one of the joints at the base of my thumb. X-Rays confirmed I was worst case on the scale they use.

First thing my surgeon said "We're a long way from surgery"

I am using splints, and now have had several injections. Still a long way from surgery.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Thanks everyone - I feel better than even if my sister WANTS surgery that it won't automatically be agreed to without other measures not only recommended, but actually followed up on first. And hopefully based on objective measures.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My ortho guy says I will know when it's time for joint replacement because I will not be able to get relief by any other means. He keeps shooting me up with cortisone and prescribing Celebrex and that works pretty well. His philosophy is if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't matter.

My dh had a hip replacement and had a very rocky recovery. I am not getting any surgery unless I can no longer walk.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
In my experience they are all cut happy fools and I think they routinely do surgery for the practice .

Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone - I feel better than even if my sister WANTS surgery that it won't automatically be agreed to without other measures not only recommended, but actually followed up on first. And hopefully based on objective measures.
And if you sister decides to go with a surgery, it's her decision and we all live with our decisions...if my brother had not heard me, good chance he would have done the surgery and lived with the outcome.

Again there are some good outcomes and many failed surgeries, the back often as I've read so much on these surgeries.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My ortho guy says I will know when it's time for joint replacement because I will not be able to get relief by any other means. He keeps shooting me up with cortisone and prescribing Celebrex and that works pretty well. His philosophy is if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't matter.

My dh had a hip replacement and had a very rocky recovery. I am not getting any surgery unless I can no longer walk.
The PRP/Stem Cell doc says cortisone only breaks down more cartlidge. I can't afford the celebrex and I fear side effects as I ended up with ulcer from a anti inflammatory drug years ago. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
In my experience they are all cut happy fools and I think they routinely do surgery for the practice .
That's what they train to do so cutting is their bread and butter. Some cuts work out and many do not. We only hear or know a smidge of what goes on out there.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
I think those conservative measures first, and tests to document the problems (such as x-rays, MRI's, CT scans as indicated) before surgery are the general standards of orthopedic care these days. Part of that might be, as others have mentioned, insurance companies will likely not approve surgery as a first line measure, they want to see evidence that the conservative measures (PT, pain mitigation, etc) have failed to control the problems, and they want evidence of the problems, or that other issues have been ruled out.

Also, no surgeon wants statistical numbers indicating way too many unnecessary surgeries attached to his name and reputation. Looks bad for him/her.

It may be that if your sister wants surgery, she may get it as opposed to another patient who is determined to avoid surgery if there is any way around it (that'd be my perspective), but hopefully, she wouldn't get that surgery before othee options have been explored and surgery found to be a viable option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness