Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:51 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

My level tested at 11 this week. I think I may be dead....

Ordering some now from Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:58 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My level tested at 11 this week. I think I may be dead....

Ordering some now from Amazon.
Mine was 7, but my doc prescribed some high dose vitamin D with something else in it to take for a few weeks, that was about 4 years ago. Since then I've been taking 2000 units a day and my latest test showed 33 which I guess is ok

Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times
My doctor just told me that I needed to start taking Vitamin D. I guess my previous blood panel showed that I was low. I didn't pay the extra for the vitamin D test this time around since insurance doesn't cover it here.

I used to live in sunny central California and I wore tank tops and shorts nine months of the year, if I was low on vitamin D before, moving to Wyoming where it is cold nine months of the year and I'm bundled up, can't have helped my Vitamin D levels at all.

Amazon to the rescue. Vitamin D every day for me, along with Iron, Calcium, and Fiber. Getting older is such a joy. 😀

Old 10-13-2017, 03:36 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Really good to see more people being tested. I had no idea I was deficient until my doctor ordered tests back in 2010. I level was a 12 which explained why I felt like road kill. I also suffered with SAD every. single. year. I got so I hated winter because I never knew if I would survive it. Since I've been taking my D3 along with K2, I feel normal ... or as normal as I am. Seriously, I've read so many medical studies on how a low D3 level can affect the body. I now take 3K iu D3 per day along with 100 mcg of Vitamin K2. I still take my magnesium and calcium citrate as well and have no leg cramps or weakness.

If anyone here reads this and learns they need (or should have short term) a dose of 50K iu, you don't need a prescription for that now. You can purchase it online through places like Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/slp/vitamin-d...2mhbr4vtkuc6ko

I'd also like to ask that people read more about K2 which should be taken in conjunction with D3. My doctor told me this back in 2010: Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 work together as a team. Vitamin D helps get calcium in the body, K2 sends it to the bones.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Really good to see more people being tested. I had no idea I was deficient until my doctor ordered tests back in 2010. I level was a 12 which explained why I felt like road kill. I also suffered with SAD every. single. year. I got so I hated winter because I never knew if I would survive it. Since I've been taking my D3 along with K2, I feel normal ... or as normal as I am. Seriously, I've read so many medical studies on how a low D3 level can affect the body. I now take 3K iu D3 per day along with 100 mcg of Vitamin K2. I still take my magnesium and calcium citrate as well and have no leg cramps or weakness.

If anyone here reads this and learns they need (or should have short term) a dose of 50K iu, you don't need a prescription for that now. You can purchase it online through places like Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/slp/vitamin-d...2mhbr4vtkuc6ko

I'd also like to ask that people read more about K2 which should be taken in conjunction with D3. My doctor told me this back in 2010: Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 work together as a team. Vitamin D helps get calcium in the body, K2 sends it to the bones.
I've had a lot of bad juju going on lately, and my stress and anxiety have been through the roof. Just found out the doc called in a prescription for it. I'm hoping this will be the fix I need.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:30 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
On K2:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/k2-...-the-mountain/

Vitamin K | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

Old 10-13-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've had a lot of bad juju going on lately, and my stress and anxiety have been through the roof. Just found out the doc called in a prescription for it. I'm hoping this will be the fix I need.
You have had some real challenges, Jrz. I've read all you've been dealing with concerning your father so you have definitely been stressing your body. Making sure you take care of your own health is vital. As a former caregiver to my parents, I can tell you that what experts say is true .... the caregiver must take care of them self or they will not be any good to the people they are caring for. If your D3 levels are low, this will definitely help you. As with all vitamins and minerals, give it time to start working. You should feel a real difference in a couple weeks to a month (depending on how well your body adjusts). Wishing you all the best with your father, too.

These are good links, suzy except the second link is for Vitamin K. Vitamin K2 is not the same as Vitamin K and can cause terrible problems for those who don't need it. Vitamin K2 is an important component to D3. They work together.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You have had some real challenges, Jrz. I've read all you've been dealing with concerning your father so you have definitely been stressing your body. Making sure you take care of your own health is vital. As a former caregiver to my parents, I can tell you that what experts say is true .... the caregiver must take care of them self or they will not be any good to the people they are caring for. If your D3 levels are low, this will definitely help you. As with all vitamins and minerals, give it time to start working. You should feel a real difference in a couple weeks to a month (depending on how well your body adjusts). Wishing you all the best with your father, too.

These are good links, suzy except the second link is for Vitamin K. Vitamin K2 is not the same as Vitamin K and can cause terrible problems for those who don't need it. Vitamin K2 is an important component to D3. They work together.

Second link discusses K2 also: menaquinones.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Second link discusses K2 also: menaquinones.
It does except it's almost hidden within the abundance of information for K. I just want people to make sure people don't confuse the two. Still a great link, though.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Yea. This reminds me that I need to get mines checked again. Back in 2011, I was complaining of fatigue, mental fog, and moodiness to my doctor. She requested a Vit D test and I was deficient. I can't remember what my number was, but i think it was single digits. She ended up prescribing a high dose Rx 50,000 IU to be taken once a week, for 5-6 weeks. Once I got retested, I was good to go. I haven't had another test since then. I never knew it was a hormone. All this time I assumed it was a vitamin. That explains a lot. But, low Vit D is not something to take lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness