Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Drugs" are rarely needed IF you have a healthy lifestyle.

Not true...I got thyroid cancer in my 20's and had to have it removed - obviously I must take thyroid hormones or die. I have 4 suicides on both sides of my family...my dad and his sister were both bipolar - both my parents had suicide attempts before getting on meds - so, surprise - I'm on antidepressants. I'm not going to get un-depressed by working out more than I am or by thinking happy thoughts.

For every person who gets lucky in the genetics lottery, someone gets screwed. The lucky person takes all the credit, believing that what they do is the reason...the unlucky person, even if skinny and with good habits MUST have done SOMETHING wrong.

It's yet another case of people wanting to exaggerate the control they have so they feel good. If it makes you feel better, go for it - just don't automatically revile those who are unhealthy. Do what you can to be healthy and then take whatever meds you need.
Not sure what your point is . . .

Is it that you are depressed and see the solution as drugs, or is it something else?

Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Drugs" understanding that diet and exercise are important

Not true...I got thyroid cancer in my 20's and had to have it removed - obviously I must take thyroid hormones or die. I have 4 suicides on both sides of my family...my dad and his sister were both bipolar - both my parents had suicide attempts before getting on meds - so, surprise - I'm on antidepressants. I'm not going to get un-depressed by working out more than I am or by thinking happy thoughts.

For every person who gets lucky in the genetics lottery, someone gets screwed. The lucky person takes all the credit, believing that what they do is the reason...the unlucky person, even if skinny and with good habits MUST have done SOMETHING wrong.

It's yet another case of people wanting to exaggerate the control they have so they feel good. If it makes you feel better, go for it - just don't automatically revile those who are unhealthy. Do what you can to be healthy and then take whatever meds you need.
I did NOT make the statement that drugs are rarely needed if you understand that diet and exercise are important. That was someone else, and I do not agree with them.

However, it is true that a very large percentage of Americans who are now taking drugs would not need them if they had a better lifestyle.

Genetics and luck are factors, but lifestyle is a BIG factor. There is plenty of evidence showing this. Everyone who argues against it is just being unreasonable.

You can find exceptions to anything.

Lifestyle is a MAJOR factor in health. The problem is, no one knows exactly what lifestyle is best. It might be different for different types of people.

But one thing we all know -- exercise is extremely important and most Americans don't get nearly enough.

No one knows exactly why exercise is so important, and no one knows exactly how much we need or what kinds we need. Each of us probably has to experiment and find out for ourselves what seems to work.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I don't believe it. I have more respect for the average person than you have. If someone is overweight and has diabetes 2, and they are given the correct information, they would not sit on the couch every night and drink coke.

The problem is, they are not given accurate information.

The doctor might say "You need to exercise and lose weight," but is that really helpful information? What kind of exercise? How much? How are they supposed to lose weight?

Losing weight by counting calories is probably impossible. Low fat diets don't work. People just don't have enough information, or accurate information. More research is needed, of course.

But most importantly, we have to stop thinking it's mostly genetics or age. When people really understand that it's mostly lifestyle -- for most people, in general -- and when there is good advice available, things will improve.

There already has been some improvement, since smoking has decreased a lot, resulting in lower rates of cancer. It is REALLY HARD to quit smoking, yet people are doing it, because they don't want to get cancer.

Eating junk food will increase your risk of cancer also.

People really do change their habits! They are not idiots!
It's obvious you do not believe it. That does not mean it's not true.

If all that was needed was to tell people to eat better and exercise more no one would be fat.

A doctor can provide a prescription for an appointment with a nutritionist. That does not mean the patient will keep the appointment or make the changes the nutritionist recommends. Do you think the doctor should spend the limited time he has with a patient discussing meal plans? The physician can make suggestions as simple as walking for 30 minutes a day. Patients still do not do it.

What you keep refusing to accept is that doctors talk with patients about lifestyle changes: Every. Single. Day. Patients just do not make those changes.

You still have not answered the question: should doctors just refuse to treat such patients with medications since their condition is their own fault for not eating better and exercising?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:09 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
I did NOT make the statement that drugs are rarely needed if you understand that diet and exercise are important. That was someone else, and I do not agree with them.

However, it is true that a very large percentage of Americans who are now taking drugs would not need them if they had a better lifestyle.

Genetics and luck are factors, but lifestyle is a BIG factor. There is plenty of evidence showing this. Everyone who argues against it is just being unreasonable.

You can find exceptions to anything.

Lifestyle is a MAJOR factor in health. The problem is, no one knows exactly what lifestyle is best. It might be different for different types of people.

But one thing we all know -- exercise is extremely important and most Americans don't get nearly enough.

No one knows exactly why exercise is so important, and no one knows exactly how much we need or what kinds we need. Each of us probably has to experiment and find out for ourselves what seems to work.
No one is arguing that lifestyle is not important.

What is not true is your insistence that doctors do not discuss lifestyle changes and only prescribe drugs and mislead patients into thinking lifestyle changes are not important.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Ten minute appointments? Doctors rarely try to educate their patients. They focus on symptoms and prescribe drugs and procedures. This is common knowledge.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's obvious you do not believe it. That does not mean it's not true.

If all that was needed was to tell people to eat better and exercise more no one would be fat.

A doctor can provide a prescription for an appointment with a nutritionist. That does not mean the patient will keep the appointment or make the changes the nutritionist recommends. Do you think the doctor should spend the limited time he has with a patient discussing meal plans? The physician can make suggestions as simple as walking for 30 minutes a day. Patients still do not do it.

What you keep refusing to accept is that doctors talk with patients about lifestyle changes: Every. Single. Day. Patients just do not make those changes.

You still have not answered the question: should doctors just refuse to treat such patients with medications since their condition is their own fault for not eating better and exercising?
I said it before -- patients are not getting the right information. They got the information about smoking and smoking rates decreased by a lot.

Other lifestyle information is confusing. No, obviously doctors shouldn't talk to patients about meal plans. That level of detail is completely unnecessary. What is needed are general principles. Stop recommending low fat diets -- that is extremely important. Stop telling patients not to eat eggs because they are high in cholesterol. Stop telling patients to exercise 20 minutes 3 times a week. Stop telling patients all these things that are wrong!

You tell patients to stop smoking, and if they are scared enough they do. And quitting smoking is one of the hardest things anyone can do. But it gets done. Proof that people are not lazy idiots.

Exercise and diet are much more complicated. Medical doctors don't know much about it. It could be different for different types of people. There are no simple answers.

Should doctors refuse to treat patients who won't fix their lifestyle? I have no idea, and I have no idea why you're asking me. That has nothing to do with the reason I posted about this.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I don't think OP never said drugs are NEVER needed.

I worked for years to try NOT to get on BP meds, tried every imaginable supplement to get BP where it was good, but couldn't get there. Both parents were on BP meds for many years of their lives.

Then went 10 yrs with depression believing it was thyroid and didn't get dx'd for those 10 yr, but A/D drugs given to me for 10 yrs and finally found it was thyroid.

I might feel better OA wise IF I took arthritic drugs like Celebrex, but the possible side effects I choose to pass. So I work with supps for OA management. I took a drug for OA back in the 80's and ended up in ER with stomach ulcer. Can't go that route again.

Type I diabetes is another animal and I knew of one person with it and he had to be on insulin.

Type II I've read that people can do well with Berberine vs the dx drugs.

And it goes on and on. There are those who choose to "fight" cancers without pharma drugs and some do win the battle. Then we know about the ones who do the chemo/radiation, can win or lose, just lost a friend after her 2 yrs on many cancer drugs. I'm banking and hoping on the antioxidant I take for cancer prevention.

And YES foods play huge parts in everything.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:28 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
No I don't think I am smart for understanding that diet and exercise are important. I think it's perfectly obvious to anyone who pays any attention at all.

So ... you're saying you agree with me? But you still need to seem angry for some reason?

I agree that diet and exercise are important. Of course I do, how could you think otherwise? I exercise 5 days a week, I lean strongly vegetarian.... I'm still riddled with auto immune diseases though.

I'm not angry, I'm frustrated at your level of simplicity, the inability to process data, and leaps of erroneous logic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 PM

282 posts, read 232,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't think OP never said drugs are NEVER needed.

I worked for years to try NOT to get on BP meds, tried every imaginable supplement to get BP where it was good, but couldn't get there. Both parents were on BP meds for many years of their lives.

Then went 10 yrs with depression believing it was thyroid and didn't get dx'd for those 10 yr, but A/D drugs given to me for 10 yrs and finally found it was thyroid.

I might feel better OA wise IF I took arthritic drugs like Celebrex, but the possible side effects I choose to pass. So I work with supps for OA management. I took a drug for OA back in the 80's and ended up in ER with stomach ulcer. Can't go that route again.

Type I diabetes is another animal and I knew of one person with it and he had to be on insulin.

Type II I've read that people can do well with Berberine vs the dx drugs.

And it goes on and on. There are those who choose to "fight" cancers without pharma drugs and some do win the battle. Then we know about the ones who do the chemo/radiation, can win or lose, just lost a friend after her 2 yrs on many cancer drugs. I'm banking and hoping on the antioxidant I take for cancer prevention.

And YES foods play huge parts in everything.
So instead of taking regulated prescription drugs, they trade those pills in for other pills - unregulated supplements. Except they have to take a variety of those, to offset this that and the other thing, support this, promote that, etc. etc. etc.

Instead of 1 pill and seeing two doctors each once a month for a total of an hour (plus 20 minutes travel time round trip), you're now taking 8 pills, and obsessing over timing and combinations of pills and spending hours upon hours on the internet every single day, "researching" websites.

No thanks. I'll take my one pill, and spend the rest of my life living.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
So instead of taking regulated prescription drugs, they trade those pills in for other pills - unregulated supplements. Except they have to take a variety of those, to offset this that and the other thing, support this, promote that, etc. etc. etc.

Instead of 1 pill and seeing two doctors each once a month for a total of an hour (plus 20 minutes travel time round trip), you're now taking 8 pills, and obsessing over timing and combinations of pills and spending hours upon hours on the internet every single day, "researching" websites.

No thanks. I'll take my one pill, and spend the rest of my life living.

That's what I don't understand. Jam said she is surprised I can exercise so much with aggressive RA...... why? I take a prescription. I have no side effects that are immediately obvious, but it is so much better than being an invalid.

Which reminds me.... I need to jam that stupid needle in my leg.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness