Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:08 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times

Advertisements

Anyone get to a point of recognizing an addiction to their smartphone? Did you try giving it up or somehow severely limiting your time on it per day?

It seems like most of us are totally immersed in something at all times. There’s never a dull moment to be left with your thoughts when the smartphone is by your side. Waiting 20 minutes at the DMV...hop on Facebook. Walking 200 feet from the produce section cereal isle...check some emails. Ohhhh, was that a ding? Maybe I have a text!!! Visiting the parents, but not really into the conversation...check out the specs on the new iPhone or browse through Tinder.

Those that are addicted probably know the routine. It’s pretty easy to spot addicts because they are always looking at a phone no matter what’s going on.

I remember my time before electronics and time seemed to pass by slower, there were details in the world I noticed more and emotions I had to deal with and think about rather than burying my head into a phone.

So have any addicts overcome the addiction? Give up phones completely (yeah, it sounds scary)? Did you switch to a dumb phone? Perhaps find the willpower to limit yourself to no more than say 30 minutes phone use per day?

I think I’ve reached a saturation point with knowing about others. I sorta have an itch to know who I’ll be with limited influence from the outside world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I limit the apps I have on the phone and how often I let myself check them. I turn off notifications for everything except calls and texts, don't let myself check the phone while walking or riding my bike. I think it's a useful tool if you set healthy limits for yourself.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Giving it up completely is like chopping off a finger because you have a hangnail.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Giving it up completely is like chopping off a finger because you have a hangnail.
Is a smartphone so important to us that it’s now basically an extension of our body? I was very late to the smartphone party getting one about 6 years ago...as a younger person, a lot of people would laugh that I used a flip phone. I would just laugh with them because I didn’t know what I was missing. Am I happier now that I have a smartphone consuming massive amounts of time? Not really, but phones are now the new smoking. You just automatically need it to soothe yourself.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I still don't have a smartphone. I retired from IT in 2009, right about the time that market was starting to go nuts and never bothered to dive in. My wife has one, it replaced separate phone and PDA devices (actually, we tried that as early as 2006 before going back to separate devices till 2009). She treats it as a work tool, to the best of my knowledge the only apps on the phone are directly related to work or key parts of the Android system that can't be removed.

Even knowing what they can do, I wouldn't willing carry one. Doesn't matter if it were 100% free in all aspects (device and service). My life simply would not be improved by one, but it would be made worse (money spent vs spending it on something I actually enjoy).

Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is a smartphone so important to us that it’s now basically an extension of our body? I was very late to the smartphone party getting one about 6 years ago...as a younger person, a lot of people would laugh that I used a flip phone. I would just laugh with them because I didn’t know what I was missing. Am I happier now that I have a smartphone consuming massive amounts of time? Not really, but phones are now the new smoking. You just automatically need it to soothe yourself.
Picking up the phone and using it as a pacifier is a choice that you make. A lot of people do always have their phones in hand no matter what the situation, but it's possible to leave it alone and engage with the world as you see fit, as well.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Just have a scheduled time to use it. I look at mine during my commute, for a few minutes during the workday. And during a certain period in the evening. I am not a huge addict, I put it away during the day.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
what else are you replacing the addiction with? phone addiction isnt the worst kind of addiction you can have

Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I never went there and don't even have a cell....how have I made it to 79..love this desktop and it's just sickening TO ME when I see others everywhere on the smarts...can't be away from them for 5 minutes. I call them dumbs as people are dying with them, crossing the streets, driving in cars...it goes on and on. Making the Apples of the world RICH.

A great young man lives in our apt bldg and he visits me often and I know how sensitive and spiritual he is, just came back from India on a 2 month retreat, but even talking to me he looks down at that damn phone...I call him on it and we laugh.

I feel a sadness in some respects as MOST I see don't talk to people as they are on the phone. My grandson is addicted and he's 18.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-06-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 10:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I use mine to get work done, communicate with family, and entertain myself. I don't see it as a waste at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness